Sawstop epic fail with UPS in close second

Review by mummykicks posted 03-26-2016 04:59 AM 5922 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sawstop epic fail with UPS in close second Sawstop epic fail with UPS in close second Sawstop epic fail with UPS in close second Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I’d love to offer an detailed review of my new sawstop sliding crosscut table with my brand new pcs, except it appears impossible to get one shipped to my residence intact. The saw I got, no issues, crosscut table, not so much.

The first one came in a box that looked like it was dropped of the back of a truck, multiple times and had been run over for good measure. UPS sucks, I thought. Open it up and the corners of the table and the fence were dinged, like you would expect if you dropped a heavy aluminum extrusion on a concrete floor. The stop knob button was broken half off, along with various other dings and scratches. The pics above are typical for the first one, and the replacement.

No foam inserts in the packaging. They basically just toss the thing in a box and ‘ship it!’. Wonder what happens when a 90lb box gets shipped UPS? The pics above were from the second one I received today after woodcraft put the replacement into a larger box and attempted to pack it better. This one was even worse than the first. Now I’m not blaming woodcraft for this, they have been responsive and helpful, and while UPS is no doubt complicit, sawstop just half assed this so badly I can’t believe it’s the same company that made my saw.

The second one got dropped so hard that the stop, which the sawstop rep in that youtube video said ‘we really worked hard on this so it will stand up to repeated harsh treatment’ has about 1/16” of play in the ‘locked’ position. The pin is about as tight as a really loose tooth and feels about the same. The slot it goes into has nice circular divot from the impact.

They ship it with lock pin in place, so it’s free to get whacked and broken like the pic above, or when the thing gets dropped by UPS enough to bend it. The reason they do this? Because there is nothing to keep the two halves together when it ships in the packaging. The end of the box would get blown out with the first drop.

I would like to blame UPS, but seriously, how realistic is it to believe that a 90lb box won’t get dropped? Every other piece of anything I buy always comes with the foam inserts, or at least with the popcorn. I’m really bummed because I actually want the damn thing and I just don’t know how many times I can send it back because there is just no way it arrives intact with the way they are packaging it.

I’ve contacted sawstop support, and If they somehow fix it so I can actually get one that isn’t damaged I’ll change my rating, but the guy that approved that design needs to be flipping burgers.

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#1 posted 03-26-2016 08:08 AM

Without any indication of where you’re at, I can only snarkily offer a possible correct response.

Pick it up locally. That’s how I got mine. Near perfect condition. The only imperfection is that the roll pin for the locking knoblet has fallen out sometime in the past year. I called SawStop and three days later a replacement for the entire knoblet (the one you have pictured broken in half) was in my mailbox.

That said, I also noted how inadequate the packaging for the sliding table seemed to be, which was very, very surprising given how well thought out was the entire packaging/assembly process.

While it’s annoying (yes, I may very well be understating the emotion) to be the at ground zero of a failure point, the upside is sooner or later a bean counter is going to realize it will be a damn sight cheaper to get the IN BOX packaging done right than it is to keep shipping multiple units to the same customer.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#2 posted 03-26-2016 03:52 PM

Delivery systems stink! I had my Sawstop delivered in a truck too big to fit down my street by one guy who couldn’t lift the saw…no lift gate! I had to enlist my neighbors to help him. Woodcraft in Walpole MA was great. They gave me a store credit for the cost of the lift gate. I blame the fiasco on Fedex. The saw was in perfect condition. If the one guy sent tried to take it off the truck himself, it would have been in pieces. He even had to use my hand truck to get it down my street. He wanted to bring it back to the warehouse and deliver it the next day. Imagine what they would have done with it at the warehouse!
No one seems to care about customer service. Least of all the delivery guys.
(Consider this a rant!)

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

#3 posted 03-26-2016 09:41 PM

You should see the boxes that are shipped here…I think the are using junk cardboard sometimes

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#4 posted 03-27-2016 02:13 AM

Question: the beauty of this no one lost any fingers. Is this a review on the “sled” or “packaging”?

-- Desert_Woodworker

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

#5 posted 03-27-2016 08:53 AM

I bellieve that the post is about Saw stop and the Shipping company. Maybe Saw Stop needs to repackage the sliding Table, it cost enough. I would think it puttting it in a wooden box would solved any shipping issues. I have recieved 3 tools from Grizzly on three different ocassions without any issues at all. I think the people working at the shipping company have no idea how much these things weight. They pick up the table, it slides away and throws that person off balance and down it goes.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#6 posted 03-27-2016 11:51 AM

I ship a lot of stuff, and to be honest, to expect any shipping company to actually handle any package with care is a pipe dream. They have an acceptable damage rate, and they make it difficult to get claims settled, so the better option is to make sure the product is made as “ship-proof” as possible.

I won’t ship a guitar without a hardshell case anymore, and if I ship anything else, I make sure I start with bubble wrap, foam around the item, and when the box is finally closed, if I can shake it and hear ANYTHING, I open it back up and make it so nothing can move.

It also helps to use something better than the cheapest cardboard.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#7 posted 03-27-2016 06:27 PM

Woodcraft is the culprit, and UPS. SS is shipping these in retail packaging for sale in stores. Woodcraft is shipping them in retail packaging (big no-no), via UPS, which is the worst choice for anything remotely breakable. WC needs to pony up for packing meant for individual shipping.

View philba's profile

philba

#8 posted 03-28-2016 05:47 PM

I have to agree with the OP – decent packaging is not that expensive. SS knows what it’s retailers are doing, they need to own the process from start to set up in the customer’s shop. period. And to scrimp a couple of bucks on a multi-thousand dollar item is just plain stupid. I have had lots of stuff delivered and good companies know how to do it. Incra, Grizzly and others get it right. Well packaged to survive Gorilla Express. They get my repeat business. Others, not so much. And they have first class customer support. Missing something? No questions asked – it’s in the mail the same day. Shipping problems – they don’t say talk to the shipper. They get it fixed.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#9 posted 03-28-2016 07:52 PM

At the end of the day SAWSTOP IS TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE.

They spec the packaging…
They pick the shipper…
They control the process, and own the results, even if the fanboys fall over backwards to make excuses for them.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

#10 posted 03-28-2016 09:20 PM

Fwiw my pcs arrived without issue. But it was on a pallet, and had the nice formed foam inserts. The first fence box was mangled, but the second one was fine. If woodcraft is getting the cct on pallets and then are reshipping them in boxes designed for pallet shipment then shame on them.

However, sawstop must be aware that this will happen and I would argue the box is barely fit for pallet shipment, as a decent drop and the fence can easily damage the bottom of the table, since it is heavy and is just in a thin box with no popcorn or anything. The fence is likely resposible for the locking knob damage, as it sticks up and the fence can slide around and hit it.

If the cct’s are being pulled off display and ‘repacked’ and sent I think sawstop would have some choice words with woodcraft. Only reason I might suspect this is sawstop has replied that the packaging is superb. The worst scenario is woodcraft reshipping returns as new. The first box I got looked like it had been shipped more than once.

I don’t know if any of the above is true, but it has got me thinking based upon sawstop’s reply. That and my frustration is making think something unprofessional going on.

Woodcraft has been very responsive so I can’t find fault with them yet.

#11 posted 03-29-2016 01:31 AM

Did you buy it from Woodcraft or Sawstop? Who did you pay and which company shipped it to you? If the answer is Woodcraft then Woodcraft is at fault.

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#12 posted 03-29-2016 06:00 AM

I have to agree with the OP – decent packaging is not that expensive. SS knows what it s retailers are doing, they need to own the process from start to set up in the customer s shop. period. And to scrimp a couple of bucks on a multi-thousand dollar item is just plain stupid.
...
- philba

To be clear, the problem is with the sliding table packaging. The packaging of the Professional Cabinet Saw is superb, which is why the poor packaging of the sliding table is surprising. Also, the sliding table is not a “multi-thousand dollar item.” It is, in fact, not even a $1,000 item. It misses that by a dollar.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#13 posted 04-19-2016 09:30 PM

I’ve read up more on this sliding table since reading this before commenting.

It’s a shame it appears to have a number of inherent flaws. Perhaps if/when they make a revision it will be more in line with the other products and accessories that SawStop sells?

Since using a sliding table saw (a real one, industrial Oliver, not an accessory/add-on) I’ve dreamed of an add on that could actually suit my needs. To date, I don’t believe there is one that exists.

It MUST cross cut a full size sheet of plywood. (this SawStop’s own literature says it can, but it was not designed to be a solution for that need)

It MUST NOT interfere with the normal rip operation. None I’ve come across can make that claim IMHO.

Oh well.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

#14 posted 04-22-2016 02:22 AM

So an update for anyone who is keeping track. I returned my second unit from woodcraft and then mosey’d down to my local woodcraft store in the hopes that getting it delivered there would circumvent the whole UPS abuse deal.
It arrived yesterday, and I went down and picked it up. I asked them if I could inspect it before I carted it away and the guys were really great about it.

Basically they wait until they get a big enough order that they get free shipping, so mine came with a couple of other saws. With tax it was within $20 of what paid online. They said even though the name is the same it is a different organization than the one online, and I believe it. Woodcraft Tucson did right by me.

This one was in excellent shape, and other than a very minor scratch on the top (really small) it was good to go.
Having seen how this one was packaged, and how the ones from the online woodcraft arrived I’m reasonably certain I was getting previously returned items from woodcraft. The first one was missing some of the inserts that should have been there as well as the hardware pack. The comment from customer service ‘can you pack so it doesn’t get damaged any further’ was odd to me at the time.
The second one they said they would ‘inspect’ and repack. Which again makes me wonder. It isn’t proof, but it sure smells funny. To their credit woodcraft refunded my money without hesitation, or trying to pull a ‘you still pay for shipping’ routine.
It doesn’t mean that Sawstop is absolved from the packaging fail, but it does make me say that if you are going to order this, find a local distributor and have them get it directly from sawstop on a pallet.
I’ll be doing an very detailed review of this as a blog entry if anyone is interested

#15 posted 04-22-2016 04:29 PM

Why not edit this review so its actually a review rather than writing a new review.