I can't believe its not butter

Review by Webb posted 1912 days ago 2029 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I can't believe its not butter I can't believe its not butter No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

From what I can see, the mechanics of this jigsaw appear identical to the corded version (the DW331K). Wow – this saw really surprised me. I wound up doing a lot of carpentry recently (cabinets in the garage made out of 2×4’s and plywood) and my B&D drill died. For my anniversary, the loml bought me a DeWalt 18v drill/impact driver combination kit which started me looking for a way to score another battery. Since I had a “lowest price I could find” B&D I thought a jigsaw would be a good way to go – an overdue upgrade + a battery. And a jigsaw is a device that really cries out for cordless operation – cord always seems to be snagging on something or just too short.

This saw leaves edges so smooth when used with Bosch Xtraclean blades I think the combination is easily comparable to the Woodworker II on the tablesaw. If I could figure out an easy way to secure wood I would probably stop using my bandsaw for curve work in stock < 1 1/2” thick – the only remaining reason to sand curves is for missing the cut line.

Pros (also ref: the review for the corded model elsewhere on this site)
- Very smooth operation – very little vibration
- Very smooth cuts
- Feature rich – variable speed operation supported (partial pressure on the trigger), variable aggression of cut, blower to keep a cutline clean, detent stops at common bevel angles
- Very solid construction – all knobs, etc. feel high-quality and rock solid. Nothing feels like it has any play.
- This has a zero-clearance insert – not using it did not result in any chipout on my intial test cuts but it is nice to know it is there
- Ships with a blade that supports cutting all the way to the front of the jigsaw, say up to a wall.

Cons
- Quite heavy – reaching here because that adds to the level of control too – it does not move if you don’t move it
- The manual refers to a speed lock – the tool does not have one (the corded version does) – speed adjustment is solely through how tight you squeeze the trigger. I don’t think this is a problem, except for the manual mentioning it and me searching for it. The manual is only one page – you would think it would be perfect!
- The manual does not document any possible adjustments, though there are clearly some allen key adjustment holes. Hopefully I don’t drop it and need to readjust anything or I’m going to be in the land of try-it-and-see.

something to be aware of, the blades that come with the saw need quite a push to ‘click’ them in when loading. I also purchased some Bosch “Xtraclean” blades which do not have this oddity – they just slide in easily.

This is an early review having just started using it but I am so thrilled I had to share my impressions :-)

PS: the included blade also made very clean cuts on my test cut so the results are definitely not limited to use of a particular blade.

View Webb's profile

Webb

46 posts in 1912 days

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 1912 days ago

nice review

had one of those – sold it with the rest of my dewalt cordless tools because my batteries started failing and replacing batteries required me to take a loan – I figured I’d rather get a corded one that will not make me wait for batteries to charge anyways.

however – I found the shoe of this jigsaw to be somewhat troublesome. I noticed that my cuts were not 90 degree to the surface, and adjusting the show to be square was somewhat of a struggle, and even then , the show would rack a little. I did do my best to adjust the screws on the bottom for the adjusting mechanism – but was never satisfied with it – so that one had to go. I will be replacing it with the Bosch barrel grip saw – I found those to be of high quality and precision in all aspects, and throughout the entire tool.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

112011 posts in 2204 days

#2 posted 1912 days ago

Hey Webb
Good review I’ve had one for a number of years and it works great. You just have to remember it’s not a band saw the blade can cut at an angle if pushed to hard just like the 2 other Bosch jigsaws I have.

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1981 days

#3 posted 1912 days ago

wow I have a black and decker and I tried this one at the company shop and It is amazing how a battery can beat out a corded jig saw good review

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

#4 posted 1912 days ago

Saving up for the BOSCH unit ….I’ve already wasted enough money on the inferior ones to have just bought the Bosch in the first place…LIVE AND LEARN .

View Jim's profile

Jim

#5 posted 1912 days ago

Thanks for the review. Btw, I recently reviewed the BoschT308 blades and found them to be excellent.

-- Jim, www.greenteawoodworking.com

View Tony's profile

Tony

#6 posted 1911 days ago

Good review, I also recently received on of these, but I just started using it – the manual is still in the plastic bag. I am more than happy with the operation, and the battery seems to last for an extremely long time. I did not have the same problem with the supplied blades . mine poped in and smooth as anything.

The cordless part really helps when not working on the bench and even on the bench, when you do not have to think about extension cables pulling at the saw and altering its intended track.

I support the 5 start rating given by Webb, well worth considering.

PS go for the Bosh clean cut blades, one of the best if not the best on the market

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)