Thompson Lathe Tools a Mixed Bag

Review by JimChrisawn posted 03-25-2016 07:57 PM 3692 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Thompson Lathe Tools a Mixed Bag Thompson Lathe Tools a Mixed Bag Thompson Lathe Tools a Mixed Bag Click the pictures to enlarge them

I would like to give a brief review of a mixed bag of Doug Thompson lathe tools, handles and tool steel blanks.
Let me begin by saying right up front Doug in NO way influenced this review and I was not compensated in an way for this review unless…
Unless great customer service, quality tools, and a business owner who will actually take time to share his experience and listen to yours in an honest open way is to be considered compensation.

As can be seen in the picture I have a few Thompson tools. It began as I read things about Thompson tools in different forums and wondered who this was and about his tools. I needed a new 1/2” bowl gouge and gave Doug a call. I had always just used the traditional flute style gouges and of course several different grinds. I have also used several different brands over the years and to be honest I had a brand that I felt was (like most turners) the best for the money. I guess I’m getting older and trying a different brand of tool was embarking on new turf. After talking with Dong we settled on a 1/2” V bowl gouge and the order was placed. Three days later the gouge arrived. It came very well packaged and was in a plastic tube for added protection. I was impressed with the quality of the tool and even the grind it came with was good and even sharp. But the question still remained, was it as good or better?

I handled it and put it to the test on some very dry black walnut I had been saving for a few years. My daughter was getting married and I was going to make her a salad bowl and four matching bowls. I cored the blank and was ready to mount and turn. Time for the test. I was really shocked at the toughness of his steel. I was sold and now I only use his tools. A tool that has become one of my favorite is the fluteless gouge, be it face or spindle work it is super. Here is a link to a YouTube review I did.

In all of the tools I have from Doug the quality has been very consistent. I have talked to Doug on several occasions and he seems to be a really great guy. Doug also sells round tool blanks if you want to make a special tool. On one final note, his handles are excellent and their shape really feels good in your hands and they won’t roll off into te floor.

Go ahead and treat yourself to a Thompson tool and enjoy.

-- YouTube-Rock Springs Woodturner Always remember it's better to be seen than viewed!

View JimChrisawn's profile

JimChrisawn

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#1 posted 03-27-2016 04:45 PM

Only one question … why did you use ‘mixed bag’ in the title of your review?

Ordinarily when someone uses the term ‘mixed bag’ it means there was some good and some bad. Sounds to me like your experience with Doug Thompson’s tools has been all positive.

View JimChrisawn's profile

JimChrisawn

#2 posted 03-27-2016 06:44 PM

Only one question … why did you use mixed bag in the title of your review?

Ordinarily when someone uses the term mixed bag it means there was some good and some bad. Sounds to me like your experience with Doug Thompson s tools has been all positive.

- TheDane

I think normally that would be true, but in this instance I was inferring or referring to a mixture of tools. Yes, indeed my experience with Doug’s tools and service has been excellent. I’ve even had him do a couple special grinds on a couple tools so I wouldn’t have to regrind them once I received them. He was glad to do it and didn’t charge extra for them. I apologize if I created confusion. Thank you for reading the review.