Penn State Industries Customer Service

Review by Matthew posted 08-07-2013 12:00 PM 3919 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Penn State Industries Customer Service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I felt the need to write a review of Penn State Industries customer service department.

I have owned a DC2000-Y single stage dust collector for about 5 years now. This review is in no way a reflection of the quality of the collector, which I think is fantastic. Never had any problems with the machine itself.

Recently, I decided it was time to upgrade from the cloth bag filters, to a canister type filter with the plastics lower bags.

After a cursory search online on many sources, and through browsing Penn State’s website, there was no information that directly linked their aftermarket filter with a specific model of dust collector. I.e. This filter fits model a,b,c, etc. in all cases customers asking for specifics were told to measure the rim of their machine for 19.5” or in that ball park.

Silly man that I am, I did not want to have to take either the lower or upper bag off my machine to measure. Anyone that has messed with these bags knows the horror of spilling fine dust everywhere and having to struggle with band clamps to get the thing back on correctly.

So, I first emailed the company, asking if th filters they listed and bags they listed fit my DC2000-Y collector specifically.

And I waited…

After a couple days of no response, I decided to call. The nice lady that answered the phone probably had a panic attack when I asked such a “technical” question and had me transferred to the tech support line in a matter of seconds. Once again I asked if the bags and filters listed on tech sight were compatible with the DC2000-y dust collector. The gentleman responded that they MIGHT fit, but that I should measure the rim of my collector to check. He then proceeded to quote me a price which was different than what was listed on the site.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!?

Maybe I am over-reacting? I am an engineer by trade and perhaps I am used to manufacturers knowing their products well, but shouldn’t the company tech support employees know the dimensions of their machines? Shouldn’t it be second nature for them to know that a certain filter will fit a certain model machine? If I wanted to go measure my machine, then there would be no reason for my call, would there?

I am not going to beg someone to earn my business and take my money, so I moved on. The cost of the filter is $195 plus $70 shipping by the way. Maybe that doesn’t qualify as a large enough purchase to get some help?

Now, about two weeks after my initial email, someone finally decided to respond to the message and give me the information I requested. Too bad they waited so long.

I ended up purchasing a filter kit from Oneida Air for a little less money. Got great information, detailed assembly, all the gaskets, a 0.3 micron filter for less money. At the end of the day I got exactly what I wanted,

The difference being I got it from a company that worked to get my money….

Please feel free to comment, I want to see how people feel about this and whether I am over reacting.

Cheers

-- Matthew, Columbia - South Carolina ----- Jesus was a carpenter...

View Matthew's profile

Matthew

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#1 posted 03-25-2016 12:14 PM

That’s what I love about living in America, you can pick and choose, based on performance and quality. You obviously made the right choice on this one. It all boils down to company attitude towards customer service. If you live it, and preach it to your employees, you’ll flourish and word of mouth will naturally follow. If you could care less, word of mouth will also naturally follow. Thanks for the review. I get my pens from PSI, but that’s about it.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#2 posted 03-26-2016 01:07 AM

I have nothing against PSI, but I GREATLY prefer Wynn dust collector filters. They make them for all sorts of collector brands. We’ve actually done a couple of videos on their filters for the e-magazine. They are one of our sponsors now, but I was using their stuff LONG before they were a sponsor. Dick and Rick Wynn are a father and son who run the company, which is small enough that you actually get to talk to the owners if you email them through the website. Their customer service is a rare thing these days.

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications: http://www.stumpynubs.com/

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

#3 posted 03-26-2016 01:19 AM

I am not the least bit surprised. I bought one of their cyclones a couple years ago and had to call 4 times to get all the parts. At that point, I told them they could just come and get it and suddenly they were helpful. The guy even threw in a Long Ranger remote to appease me. I know a lot of people love them, especially for turning supplies, but I’ll be spending my money elsewhere.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

#4 posted 03-28-2016 11:17 PM

There customer service is weak I agree. I needed a replacement part for my DC the hose from the motor to the plenum. I told him what size and he replied I know which one. Well sent the wrong one too small and was mad at me for it.

View JetDriver's profile

JetDriver

#5 posted 04-01-2016 09:49 PM

I think your spot on. It is ridiculous that they can’t instantly tell you that part X will properly interface with unit Y when they make both parts. I think it speaks to their professionalism and level of customer service and says to me this isn’t a company that wants or deserves your business.

View mjh3280's profile

mjh3280

#6 posted 11-01-2016 09:39 PM

I talked to them on the phone today after getting one email bounced back to me and no response to another after a couple of weeks. I had a number of questions about a Tempest cyclone dust collector. Turns out the person that ran the dust collector department died about a year and a half ago. The customer service person that answered the phone was obviously still shaken by the loss. Sounded like they hadn’t replaced the person and instead they were phasing out the department. The person I was transferred to tried to help me the best they could, but it was obvious it wasn’t their area of expertise. Like you, I was frustrated, too, that I didn’t hear from them in a timely manner after my initial email, but I guess I learned a lesson in that I should maybe cut some people some slack if they don’t always meet my expectations. Maybe there’s a good reason for it. Anyways, thought you might be interested to know this little back-story!

As the commenter above said…every day above ground is a good day!