Disappointed

Review by andy_P posted 03-23-2016 08:41 PM 2125 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Disappointed Disappointed Disappointed Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had to replace my 15 plus years old Delta disc/belt sander and opted for the “priced right” Skil. The minute I unpacked it I could tell that the quality I was used to was not there. The body is plastic and I have had a heck of a time trying to keep the belt running straight. While running it sounds like it is going to fall apart. I will say that Skil is willing to send me a shipping label and repair the unit, but for the time and hassle of finding a strong box, taking it to UPS and being without the unit all together, I’ve opted to just put up with it. For the price the unit is probably worth it but if you are going to use it for serious work, I would recommend you purchase a higher quality unit. ................Just my opinion.

-- Wood is a gift from God/Nature that maintains its beauty forever via the hand of a woodworker.

View edapp's profile

edapp

#1 posted 03-24-2016 01:03 PM

I made a similar mistake with a “Skil” router a few years ago. Not worth the savings to have a tool you will be frustrated with until you finally upgrade. I upgraded my router recently and cant believe the difference in quality. You really do end up spending less in the long run by buying quality first.

#2 posted 03-24-2016 04:00 PM

We live and learn. Skip has been around a long time and over the years I have used their products. You just have to admit to limitations and what to expect. Economic situations nowadays force companies to alter their productions. I’m glad to see that you understand.

View Lumberpunk's profile

Lumberpunk

#3 posted 03-24-2016 04:24 PM

The only Skil product I would spend money on is their worm drive saw… and only if it was a steal 2nd hand.

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

#4 posted 03-24-2016 04:40 PM

Whoops…...I just noticed I said “Skip” in that last post. Naturally I meant Skil….....darn automatic spell check!!!

#5 posted 03-24-2016 04:42 PM

The only “Skip” I know was SkipTo M’loo…....I don’t know whatever happened to him.,,,,sorry…couldn’t resist that.

#6 posted 03-24-2016 05:54 PM

I’m afraid the low quality is part of name “Skill”

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

View dday's profile

dday

#7 posted 03-24-2016 08:06 PM

I know it’s a little late, but I was just in the market for a sander myself. I had previous purchased a WEN benchtop drill press from HD online and was extremely impressed with the quality from a brand that I’d never heard of.

So when I was looking for a sander, I checked theirs out and ordered one. I was quality out of the box. Very well put together, tight tolerances and when I replaced the included 80 grit belt with a 120 grit one, the tracking was dead on.

#8 posted 03-24-2016 10:42 PM

WEN????? Hmmmmm…....I’ll have to check it out to see if they carry it in the store. Thanks for the update, dday.

View JollyGreen67's profile

JollyGreen67

#9 posted 03-25-2016 03:47 PM

Prior to buying any power tool I always look for the tool breakdown/parts list – if it has bushings instead of bearings, I will not touch it. To me bushings = junk. HF stuff at least has bearings, even if it is cheap. Not advocating HF, because they do have cheap stuff – just saying.

-- When I was a kid I wanted to be older . . . . . this CRAP is not what I expected !

#10 posted 03-25-2016 04:12 PM

Interesting, Jimbo.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#11 posted 03-26-2016 12:59 AM

I haven’t found a Skil product I’ve been happy with in a long time. it’s sad because we used to run a hardware store and some of the Skil products were really nice. But they aren’t the same company anymore. Neither is Black n Decker and a lot of the old brands.

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications: http://www.stumpynubs.com/

View Roger's profile

20931 posts in 2890 days

#12 posted 03-26-2016 12:28 PM

I understand your pain and disappointment Andy. It’s just sad how so many companies quality has gone down.

#13 posted 03-26-2016 03:01 PM

It’s all economics, Roger. I’m waiting to see a review from you on the new Grizzly.

#14 posted 03-31-2016 08:35 PM

day,

I finally got around to checking out that WEN product line you mentioned earlier. They are only available from Home Depot via online orders. I read several reviews and just about all of them gave the sander a 4 to 5 rating (out of 5) Thanks for the heads up about that.

Skil has sent me a UPS shipping label to return theirs for a look see at what my problem is, but I have to find a box that will support it and I have to take it to a UPS place to ship…...almost not worth it for what I can pick up a WEN for. I’m not sure of exactly where they are made but the company has been around for a long time. Maybe I better be quiet…....HD is going to raise the price….LOL.

Anyway, dday, I just wanted to say thanks.