Great for Hardwood Joinery

Review by pintodeluxe posted 03-15-2016 04:03 PM 3603 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great for Hardwood Joinery Great for Hardwood Joinery Great for Hardwood Joinery Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review of the 8” Infinity Dadonator stacked dado set. I have a low-end Freud dado set that actually worked quite well until I had it sharpened. Nevertheless, the one complaint I had about my old set (two-wing chippers) is that it would chip out the side shoulders when cutting tenons. That is what made me look for another set.

The Dadonator excels at cutting tenons, rabbets, and half laps in hardwood. My test pieces were mostly white oak, a hardwood notorious for chipout. Yet the Dadonator is able to cut crisp, clean, splinter-free tenons. I even climb-cut a couple tenons and WOW did they come out nice (potentially dangerous technique, not recommended for everyone). Rabbets were clean with a flat bottom and crisp shoulders. Even with a raking light, the bottom of the cuts were dead flat.

The blades came packaged in a cardboard box with a bolt holding things together. The bolt was sticking out of the box, so it doesn’t even work for temporary storage. There are a couple pieces of plywood inside the box which protect the blades from impact, however the finger-tight bolt did nothing to prevent the teeth from hitting each other in shipping. Astonishingly mine were not chipped on arrival. INFINITY: This is a sub-par storage method and you need to include a quality case that reflects the quality of the blades. I’m not talking about the wood box that you sell on your website for $20 because that doesn’t prevent the blades from hitting each other. Look, my $99 Freud Diablo dado set has a slick plastic case with really smart design. It has little tabs that prevent the blades and fragile carbide teeth from touching one another. Freud included that case in a sub-one hundred dollar set, yet you can’t include one in a $230 set? If you don’t care about protecting your blades, at least do it to protect your customer base. MAKE A BETTER CASE AND INCLUDE IT WITH EACH AND EVERY SALE!!!!!
Also take a marketing class because this type of issue is highly annoying. A week after I purchased this set I needed a general purpose tablesaw blade. Well with the bad taste of this still in my mouth guess which brand I bought… FREUD!

The blades come coated in a heavy oil. This was odd to me, and with all the blades I have purchased over the years from many different brands I have never seen a tablesaw blade coated in heavy oil. Machinery sure, but never blades. It was not that big of deal to wipe them down, but it did make me wonder about the rust prevention ability of the “Nickle Armor” coating. Some reviewers were bowled over by the quality and appearance of the blades. To me they looked like dull silver blades, what I might expect from Sears or my local hardware store. Nothing to write home about in the appearance department, but that’s not why I bought this set.

I read a magazine review that stated this blade would cut “Flat Bottoms” with “No visible Scoring.” Well it does cut a flat bottom, but the no scoring comment needs a little clarification. If you have a 3/4” dado stack on your saw, and you cut a 3/4” dado there is no visible scoring. If you use a 3/4” dado stack to cut a 1-1/2” long tenon you will see some visible scoring. I will say that the scoring is less pronounced than my other set. Also, this really doesn’t matter when cutting through tenons, as long as you take a nearly full-width pass at the end of the tenon. For instance when I use a 3/4” dado stack, I start the tenon with a 5/8” wide pass at the tip of the tenon. This way the scoring line will never be seen.

I think the feed rate this blade is capable of is a little slower than low-end sets. The tooth geometry and 6 tooth chippers are made for fine quality cuts, not speed. That being said the difference in feed rate is modest, and it was a trade-off I was happy to make. A cabinet shop plowing out miles of plywood dados might prefer a set with a more aggressive hook angle. The more neutral hook angle on the Dadonator suites me just fine, as my goals are more about precision than speed.

There are many dado sets that will make a clean dado in plywood, and in fact my old set did that just fine. For me the true judge is how well it cuts hardwood joinery which is often exposed. In this aspect, and really with all the testing I did, this blade set excels. If you just want to make dados and rabbets in plywood occasionally, save yourself a few bucks and get the Freud SD208, Diablo, or many similar brands. For me, cutting through tenons is a regular part of my workflow. I don’t like tenoning jigs because you hold the workpiece on end. Therefore my dado blade must produce smooth, clean cuts with no chipout… and this set fits the bill.

View WhattheChuck's profile

WhattheChuck

#1 posted 03-15-2016 05:26 PM

Hey PD—I went online to see where to buy. No luck. Where’d you get yours?

Chuck

-- Chuck, Pullman, WA

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#2 posted 03-15-2016 05:29 PM

Willie, thank you so much for taking the time to write this very thorough and well thought out review. This is very helpful, I’ve been on the fence ( no pun intended ) now for several months trying to decide which dado set to buy. I’d never even heard of Infinity until this review.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View CampD's profile

CampD

#3 posted 03-15-2016 05:31 PM

Nice detailed review, I too am looking to upgrade my well worn Freud set.
I second the fact, that for the price they can’t include a decent storage container.

-- Doug...

#5 posted 03-15-2016 07:28 PM

Chuck,
I purchased directly from Infinity Tools http://www.infinitytools.com/

- pintodeluxe

The Infinity Tools site doesn’t list any dado blades right now: http://www.infinitytools.com/Dado-Saw-Blade-Dadonator/products/1548/

#6 posted 03-15-2016 08:02 PM

View Tooch's profile

Tooch

1777 posts in 2019 days

#8 posted 03-16-2016 09:44 AM

Real nice review on this topic. I have the 8” Freud ‘super dado’ (Around $240) set and still get tearout on most of the red oak despite a slow feed rate.

One thing that aggravates me about the Super Dado is that the blades are not clearly labeled with thicknesses. Since the filler blades alternate and the tips overlap, you can’t even measure the tips. This requires you to either A. really try to pay attention when selecting what blade to use when cutting dadoe for undersized plywood or B. “guess and check” by stacking the blades on the arbor and measuring with calipers.

Being that I have a group of High School kids who are switching out the blades, that is a huge issue. Are the Dadonator blades labeled with their thickness??

Thanks Willy, great review!

-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#9 posted 03-16-2016 10:51 AM

thanks for writing a review that actually is one. Infinity makes good products, and has a great website with good videos about their products, and I have gotten stuff there. The poor packaging is surprising. Enjoy your blade set, and I hope if it does not perform well in the future you let us know.

View Roger's profile

20948 posts in 2947 days

#10 posted 03-16-2016 02:57 PM

Thnx for your review. I’ve looked at this set on and off for a few years now. Appreciate your info

#11 posted 03-16-2016 03:13 PM

Tooch,
Yes the Dadonator chippers are labeled with their thickness. You get four 1/8” chippers, one 3/32” chipper, and one 1/16” chipper.

View CANDL's profile

CANDL

#12 posted 03-19-2016 01:40 AM

I have this set, and I like it…..BUT…. I also have a SawStop … SawStop says DO NOT USE this style dado blade, I believe they say it will void warranties etc etc. SawStop ONLY SUPPORTS the two wing style.

Now with that said, being a Mech Eng. I assume it is all about the rotating mass, not the style so I keep my stack to less than 3/4” ... usually 1/2”. At 1/2” the mass of the Dado stack is much less at that of a full bat wing.

Seems that they had situation(s) where a cartridge fired on a full stack and bent a shaft/bearings…. so the “banned” solid disks.

View ocean's profile

ocean

#13 posted 03-24-2016 12:39 AM

I lived in Tampa when Infinity (then CMT then) was just starting. I own several router bits – both the original CMT orange and later their white bits and I can say they were and are great bits. I even visited their place in Oldsmar and got a tour of their 5 axis machine for making bits – unbelievable. I have also bought a blade or two from them also – and they are also excellent. When my Freud Super Dado dado wears out I will be looking at their Dadonator also. Thanks for the review.

-- Bob, FL Keys

View JBrow's profile

JBrow

#14 posted 10-20-2016 12:24 AM

pintodeluxe,

I am replacing my Systimatic stacked dado set and have narrowed my search to the 8” Infinity Dadonator and the 8” Forrest Dado King. In your March review you awarded 5 stars to the Dadonator indicating that at the time of the review you were very satisfied with the performance of the Dadonator.

My question is whether you still find the Dadonator an outstanding performer? Also have you had any second thoughts and/or wish you had purchased another dado set? Any thoughts or advice that would help me make a good decision would be appreciated.

FYI, my table saw is 5 hp PM66 and I will use the dado set primarily in the table saw, although I may wish to spin the dado set in my Craftsman Radial Arm Saw (making the Dadonator somewhat less attractive). I typically cut tenons and lap joints in solid wood and cut grooves and dados in solid wood and plywood.

Thanks.

#15 posted 06-09-2017 11:10 PM

No regrets on the blade purchase, except the Sawstop issue perhaps.
I bought this before the Sawstop and wasn’t aware that it wasn’t recommended for that saw.

I might look at the Dewalt 7670 dado for that reason.
As far as performance, the Dadonator has been excellent.