Amana tambour door router bit set - slick idea

Review by Brandon posted 1918 days ago 6980 views 5 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Amana tambour door router bit set - slick idea Amana tambour door router bit set - slick idea Amana tambour door router bit set - slick idea Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been wanting to build my wife a roll top desk for some time but the dilemma always came in on how to make the tambour. The new bit set from Amana is a great idea! No more having to glue slats to canvas or drilling the slats to run a cable down through them. The bits worked great and made it real easy to use different woods. The one drawback that I found was in the instructions and video. They state to mill the stock to 1/2” x 1 15/16” and that is what I did. The issue comes in when setting up the finishing contour path because that dictates the size of the ball and the defines the fit. I test it and found that if I set it up to get the whole contour on the face of the slat, then the ball portion was too small. When I set up to achieve the proper ball/socket fit, then the face of the slat was flat. The pictures show the loose fit and loss of the contour with the proper fit. Unfortunately when I realized this issue, I had already milled all my stock for the desk. It looks nice, but I think that it would have looked better with the proper contour as demonstrated in the video. I would recommend an extra 1/32” to 1/16” on the stock in order to obtain the best of both. The other observation I made was in the video, Lonny Bird’s ball router bit was a 3 flute and the one I received was a 2 flute.

All in all and great idea and design, I just wish I new about the stock issue first.

-- Brandon, Maine, www.maineweddingtrellis.com

View Brandon 's profile

Brandon

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 1918 days ago

Thanks!!

I, too, have always wanted to make a roll top desk. When I saw this bit advertised, I thought that might be the way to go.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

#2 posted 1918 days ago

Thank you! I too have been looking at this bit and ponerdering…

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#3 posted 1918 days ago

I remember seeing those a long a time age. If I ever needed a tambour I will take a second look at them.

112010 posts in 2203 days

#4 posted 1918 days ago

Thanks for the review I’ve wondered how well these work also.

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1987 days

#5 posted 1918 days ago

The three fluted router bit sysytem would run smoother and with better control.

View woodman71's profile

woodman71

162 posts in 1950 days

#6 posted 1916 days ago

I to have always want to build tambour door but was never crazy about the building process and i seen the review in woodsmith router table secrets like the review.thanks for your input and info i guess like anything there is always a leaning curve .

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#7 posted 1915 days ago

Thanks for the review. I have been contemplating this for a while. I was wondering how well it would work. I might have to talk the boss into this set for the shop. We do a lot of tambour units.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View Martyroc's profile

Martyroc

Hi Brandon, New to LBJ’s but not to woodworking, i had been looking at the tambour door bits from Amana and wanted to get an opinion from someone who actually used them first before I made the purchase as like any good tool or accessory I will gladly pay the asking price if it does what it supposed to. The insight to what the directions says regarding the measurements, and what you say is helpful and I am glad a fellow LBJer like you got me the skinny on that. Love the desk and the use of different woods was a good choice. Keep making sawdust

-- Martin ....always count the number of fingers you have before, and after using the saw.