Why did it take so long?

Review by JuniorJoiner posted 1920 days ago 7298 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Why did it take so long? Why did it take so long? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have wanted one of these saws since I first laid eyes on one. Rob Cosman had a set of these in his toolkit , and I first got to handle one about 4 years ago. The problem was that rob’s was kinked. so I didn’t get to use it.

My new Lie-Nielsen panel saw arrived today, so the first thing i did was rip open the packaging and put it through it’s paces.
I may not be extremely accomplished as a furniture maker, but i have done my share of construction with hand tools, and feel I can give a fair description of this saw.

The first thing I noticed was the handle, it is the fit and finish you expect from a Lie-Nielsen. I was surprised at how large large the finger hole is. I usually make Handles for my handsaws a fair bit smaller, for my normal three finger grip. this handle allows for a four finger grip.

This saws handle is very similar to the handle used on their large tenon saws.

As with any saw, the real story is how does it cut. The version of saw I ordered is rip( think I may save my pennies for a crosscut as well). So I can only compare to the rip saws i own.
This saw is by far the best Rip saw I have ever used. At 7tpi, the cut is aggressive, but not very hard to start.
I actually compared the speed of the cut to my large frame saw(5tpi) and to my other rip panel saw , which was a sandvik i re toothed from crosscut(10tpi).

the Lie-Nielsen cut much quicker than any saw I own, with a smoother cut.
This is a sample cut in maple

Backside of the cut

The smoothness of the cut and the ease of tracking a line are the real story with this saw. I haven’t been this impressed with a tool in a long time.

I think Lie-Nielsen really has a winner here, and anyone who tries this saw will want one.
The saw is Priced at less than 300 dollars Canadian. I don’t have the exact figure because the saw is not on their website yet.
With this saw, cutting as quick and smooth as it does. I expect we could see a huge growth of the hand tool woodworker community, as this is the tool that has been missing from the market.
I cannot give it a high enough recommendation.

Having used tyhis saw for about a year now. I have a few things to add.
If you have big hands, gripping this saws handle for extended use can cause cramping, it needs to be just a bit thicker to be comfortable. I have this problem with a few other Lie-Nielsen tools, so it is not just this saw.
Also, the saw plate is just a touch too thin. after nearly kinking this saw a few hundred times, I have finally kinked it. I think a few more thou of thickness on the sawplate would solve this, as My disston D-23 is not really much thicker, but far more rigid.

I am going to leave my origional review and thoughts in place. but for longeveity, I think Lie-Nielsen needs to tweak this design.

-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.

View JuniorJoiner's profile

JuniorJoiner

444 posts in 2066 days

112010 posts in 2203 days

#1 posted 1920 days ago

That’s an impressive review enjoy you saw for years to come

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#2 posted 1920 days ago

Hope you enjoy it, sounds like you will be ripping a bunch of stuff just so yoiu can ;-)) I just looked at their website, they have a 7 tooth rip for $225 Long Yankee Green. Seems like a lot for a handsaw, but they do have the finest quality. No wonder everyone went to power tools ;-))

View kiwi1969's profile

kiwi1969

609 posts in 2068 days

#3 posted 1920 days ago

Nice. My plastic handled attrocity cuts as straight as a dogs hind leg, i,ll put this one on my dream toolbox list.

-- if the hand is not working it is not a pure hand

#4 posted 1920 days ago

This is a nice review and you have a quality saw. After all it is a Lie-Nielsen product.

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1981 days

#5 posted 1920 days ago

damn that saw lookes nice

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View JimBuchanan's profile

JimBuchanan

27 posts in 1975 days

#6 posted 1920 days ago

Just curious, it looks like the saw is a 90-60 modified rip. Is that right? Meaning, the back edge of the tooth is 90 degrees and the leading edge is at 60 degrees.

I recently took a class in which we sharpened dovetailing saws – turning them into modified rip saws using the angles above. My saw now cuts straighter and better than ever before. It is extremely aggressive – even with the increased tpi.

I really like the look and potential in the LN.

-- Jim

View JuniorJoiner's profile

JuniorJoiner

444 posts in 2066 days

#8 posted 1918 days ago

Tommy, I have seen your work, you can’t seriously be balking at the price. I am sure your projects sell for much more than that.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#9 posted 1917 days ago

Nice looking handsaw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View FloridaUFGator's profile

FloridaUFGator

Junior – now that it has been a while what is your current take on this saw. I’m looking to buy and this is certainly on the list. Thanks.

-- ...and remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses - Norm Abram

Very nice looking saw.

View Kennyg's profile

Kennyg

Have had mine on order for a few weeks. They were waiting on materials to start production, again. just called today and was told they should be available for shipping in a week. Can’t wait too get my grubby paws on this saw. Great experiences with L-N products. Yet to be disappointed.