Bosch PS30 -- whole lotta torque

Review by Jim posted 1921 days ago 3235 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch PS30 -- whole lotta torque No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My 18V Makita finally died and I needed a replacement. I decided to get a more compact drill driver because I wanted to be able to get inside drawers, tight spaces, etc., not to mention the handyness of carrying a smaller tool. The PS30 isn’t as small as the PS20. The chuck is 3/8” – which I also wanted. And that’s what I got—not as big as a 1/2” drive, not as small as a 1/4”. Heavier and more powerful than just a driver but not as heavy as an 18V. And of course it’s a Bosch. It’s well made, has good feel, and it has amazing torque and power for a small tool. On the ‘negative’ side, it almost has too much torque for its size. One doesn’t buy one of this size for driving screws all day. If you want to do that you need a heavier tool that balances out the torque. And then there’s the price. It’s expensive—somewhere between $140 and $180. I’ll still buy a bigger drill driver (and maybe with impact) for the bigger jobs. So maybe I should have gone with a smaller, less expensive driver? Maybe, but this does give me more versatality, and its higher rpms than just a driver mean I can drill metal too. I’d give it 5 stars for functionality and ability but I have to knock off a star for the price. I’m glad I went with the PS30 rather than a smaller driver only. I’ll use this for cabinet and furniture making, installation, and general handyman duties. Building a deck or drilling more than just a few holes in concrete and I’ll get out the 18V (or maybe there’s that 28V Milwaukee…).

-- Jim, www.greenteawoodworking.com

View Jim's profile

Jim

112010 posts in 2203 days

#1 posted 1920 days ago

Hey Jim
Good review I have one of these little puppies and it works great for smaller stuff

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1953 days

#2 posted 1920 days ago

Same here…good review. I bought the small driver..loved it for its size and power…AND the long lasting fast charging battery’s, I now have the same one you have, and the next one up. Love them all.

-- Don S.E. OK

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

#3 posted 1920 days ago

I own the PS20 and as a notorious cheapskate I can honestly say about the Bosch equipment I have previously owned as well as the items I currently own have consistently ranked among my favorites. When and if my DeWalt 18V Cordless Drill gives up the ghost (it’s also been a very nice tool to own and use) I plan on getting a Bosch 36618-02. Expensive? Yeah it but the quality of the brand has for me been so consistent as to easily justify the slight bit of discomfort I will experience for that brief moment at the point of sale. After that, I’ll be smiling every time I pick it up. :)

As you’ve noticed even at 12V’s these drivers have an amazing amount of power easily equal to that of my DeWalt and the lithium batteries allow you to drive three inch screws for several hours right up until the battery discharges completely. Where you expressed some skepticism about the torque, I’ve found it a very useful and of course the ability to manage it which directly effects battery life is also there so no worries in that department for me. I’m a bit jealous as I was unaware that this line was available with a 3/8ths chuck. Had I known at the time, I would have been all over it.

Joe

-- JMP

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1981 days

#4 posted 1920 days ago

I actually did a test with a little bosch like this one and a big dewalt 18v I drove 3 in drywall screws into epay wood guess which 1 won the bosch I was like how the hell did this thing beat out the dewalt

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View DrillGuy's profile

DrillGuy

Jim,

I think you made a good choice with the PS30-2A. It’s a little expensive, but they pack a lot of great features in a small package. Here were my thoughts on it:

Pros:
- Top-5 in its class for being compact and light-weight. Only weighs 2.4 lbs, about 30% lighter than average.
- Efficient design. Top-5 in its class for best power-to-weight ratio.
- Power is 10% less than the average 12V, but still very good. Generates up to 220 in-lbs of torque.
- Backed by Bosch’s 3-year warranty.

Cons
- Runs up to 1,000 RPM, but speed is 22% slower than average.
- Uses long life-cycle Li-ion batteries, but run-time is 25% shorter than average. However, batteries recharge in only 30 minutes.

Charlie,
Best Cordless Drill

View BestDrillDude's profile

BestDrillDude

This is a great review, too bad I didn’t see it before deciding to buy a new drill a while ago :)

Best Cordless Drill