Full Spectrum Laser H-Series 5th Gen. 20" X 12" 45 Watt

Review by jawqn87 posted 03-08-2016 06:36 PM 8555 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Full Spectrum Laser H-Series 5th Gen. 20" X 12" 45 Watt No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Today I am reviewing the FS Laser H-series 5th generation 45 watt laser. This was originally purchased to make my wedding invitations and I figured I would be able to make a lot of other things with it. In the hobby market, there are a few lasers that are available, however, price quickly becomes a factor. I really only looked at an Epilog laser and the Full spectrum 5th generation laser. Obviously, in the end, I went with the FS laser based almost solely on price. The lasers to me were relatively similar and after 18 months of use, I haven’t looked back. With the laser I purchased a few of the accessories from FS laser and a few from other places. I purchased a shorter focus lens in order to do smaller fonts and the air pump in order to clear the work piece of fumes and debris. I purchased a 100 cu. ft. HVAC blower/booster in order to exhaust the fumes outside from amazon and wired it myself.

I have been impressed with the build quality of the laser, it has handled 2-3 hours of almost constant running without any issues with the device. The longest job I have ran is 30 minutes, no issues with any heat buildup or similar. There is a improvement out there that some people do and add a fan to the power supply to avoid overheating. I have had some cases that there was an arc from the laser tube to the cabinet. Customer support was very helpful and advised me of the issue and how to fix it. This was very easy and I believe within the scope of a woodworker.

The laser is very versatile in its function. I have used it to engrave leather, wood, acrylic and even ceramic tiles. The next test is anodized aluminum and maybe stainless steel with Cermark. As the material changes so should the settings, having scrap pieces to dial in the final settings is important, though once the settings are correct, the image/text looks wonderful. It’s even possible to engrave pens without the rotary attachment,. if desired.

The last piece that needs a review is the software that comes with the laser. It is extremely good software for printing straight to the device. If you can print it the laser can burn it with this software. It is very easy to use and makes complex tasks very easy. However, more technical engraving/cutting is a little harder to do but with some fine tuning is possible. I am still learning the software and its capabilities/limitations, however, it has been a pleasure to use. I would recommend this to anyone as a hobby level laser that is looking to take a step up with their projects.

View jawqn87's profile

jawqn87

View copcarcollector's profile

copcarcollector

#1 posted 03-08-2016 08:10 PM

Thanks for the review. A laser is on my want list, looking mostly at Epilog. The Full Spectrum is water cooled, correct? Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing more of your lasered work!

View wuddoc's profile

wuddoc

#2 posted 04-25-2016 04:52 AM

We have also purchased the FS Laser 20-12 45 watt and have found customer service is good. Our problem is learning how to use CorelDraw as we are in a rural area and classes are only available online.

-- Wuddoc

View meltechs's profile

meltechs

#3 posted 09-25-2016 09:48 PM

I would at least say their 20×12 hobby laser is better than their pro series machines. The pro series is all made in China except for the software …which is pretty good but not as feature rich. Big thing with FS is their support.
There’s a lack of depth in that dept. They are mainly into engineering – not warranty or technical help. I’ve talked to both sales and support extensively and used their hobby laser and I think the forums echo what the good and bad are. You can read lots of forum reviews. You will additionally find employee reviews and apparently they have internal challenges to overcome.

Comparing an FS to an Epilog is like comparing a hyndai with bmw. You’re comparing apples and oranges. RF tubes are a lot more expensive tube and yes it costs more to own and maintain but the performance is better.

I’d only recommend Full Spectrum if you’re a DIY’er prepared to troubleshoot any big problems on your own.

-- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

View LadywoodFurniture's profile

LadywoodFurniture

#4 posted 11-10-2016 03:23 PM

Hello, I’m just about to buy a laser myself for templating for my furniture and small laser crafts (earrings, boxes, engraved wall hangings etc) I’m very seriously considering the Full Spectrum 45w. I noticed your review was from March of 2016. What are your feelings on the laser almost 9 months later? What did you meaning by arching? Did you mean there was an electrical arch inside the machine? That seems dangerous but I don’t know much about electricity and I’m having a hard time visualizing it. The price point is reasonable on the Full Spectrum as opposed to Epilouge and Universal, which both look like I will have to hit a 10k price point or more, so I interested in how your Full Spectrum is holding up.

THanks!

View jawqn87's profile

jawqn87

#5 posted 11-10-2016 05:55 PM

I still love my Laser, I have had it now for almost 1.5 years and I am still on the original Laser tube with no real issues other than the arching. The arching happens on longer jobs that are at 100% power. It can be dangerous, however, the arch is happening inside of the machine and the case is grounded. The arch is due to how the laser tube is receiving its power, It can be fixed, I just need to wrap more teflon tape around the terminal or I run it on lower settings with no issues.

The machine is really flexible and I use it as often as I can. It adds that little flair to a project and offers a great way to personalize something even further. We used it to engrave a cutting board for our realtor, that has resulted in her asking me to make her more to give out as welcome home gifts to her other clients. I have not used it to cut much, though I have some projects comings up that I will use that feature, we will see how it does with 3/16 to 1/4” thick plywood/wood. It will take multiple passes but should be able to handle it.

View Chrisjames85's profile

Chrisjames85

#6 posted 03-28-2017 02:59 PM

Have any of you used it for marking metal such as stainless with Cermark. I’m looking at a p series 36×24 with 120 watt laser for my shop

View Sunnyskies's profile

Sunnyskies

#7 posted 04-01-2018 05:11 PM

WARNING!!! I have had this same laser for over a year now. I have been through 3 power supplies and the laser is currently down again. We use it in a school environment and it is only used maybe 3-4 times per week. FSlaser has attempted to charge me for faulty power supplies and is now saying that the laser is out of warranty…. even through they never actually repaired it over the past year. I too had a positive user experience during the first month when the laser functioned. Do not buy this laser unless you are prepared to repair it yourself. There are many laser companies on the market right now and I would caution anyone from doing business with Full Spectrum. Some of the chinese built lasers are far more reliable and $1000’s less. FSLaser does not honor its warranty!! I have had to file with the Better Business Bureau…