14" Band Saw Riser Kit for Harbor Freight Band Saw

Review by FJPetruso posted 05-17-2009 11:21 PM 19357 views 3 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
14" Band Saw Riser Kit for Harbor Freight Band Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

About 5 years ago I purchased a Harbor Freight Band Saw & the Riser Kit. I never installed the riser kit & stored it away until I needed it. Last month I failed to use my metal detector & while resawing some walnut I hit a foot peg, like the ones linemen screw into power poles, that the tree had completely grew around & ruined my band saw blade. So I took this opportunity to install the riser kit. I figured I would be playing with & tuning the saw up the whole day. But instead I was done in about 30 minutes. The kit came with a 105” blade, an adjustable upper blade guard, the riser block, a longer rod for the upper blade guide & a long bolt to install the block. Installation was simple and all the parts fit precisely & easily. Readjusting the guides was quick as was releveling the table. I was resawing quickly & had excellent results. The blade that came with the kit is a general purpose blade so I had to feed the wood slowly. I plan on replacing the blade with a 3 tooth skip tooth blade similar to the one that I ruined. I’m well satisfied with the saw & riser kit. I shouldn’t have waited to install the riser kit & would recommend installing the riser kit. The installation was easy.

#1 posted 05-18-2009 12:33 AM

good to hear it worked so well

View Bureaucrat's profile

Bureaucrat

#2 posted 05-18-2009 02:38 AM

Good to hear the riser block worked out. Sounds like you are generally happy with your HF Band Saw. I’m considering buying a band saw to replace my 9 inch Craftsman. Would you recommend the HF for the $$.

-- Gary

View Jim's profile

Jim

142 posts in 2047 days

#3 posted 05-18-2009 03:15 AM

I was wondering the same. I saw it the other day and couldn’t make up my mind of what kind of quality it looked capable of.

-- -- Jim - Kokomo, Indiana

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2028 days

#4 posted 05-18-2009 04:04 AM

#5 posted 05-18-2009 04:58 AM

Yes I would recommend the HF saw. It works very well for me & since I was planning on purchasing the Kreg band saw fence, I wasn’t worried about it not having a fence with it. It actually looks like a stripped down Jet or Grizzly when you compare them closely. It comes with guide blocks that look like the “Cool Blocks” that the local woodworking store sells. But I opted for a couple of sets of the optional roller bearing guides that they sell for $10 to $15 a set at HF. I purchased mine some years ago & paid about $159.00 . The HF band saw goes on sale frequently these days for about $275.00 + or -. (The HF retail store has it for $299.99 right now.) The only thing I may change someday is the location of the on / off switch. I would move it up to the column by the riser block like the other band saws. The interesting thing is…. the sheet metal support for the switch is already attached to the column & is punched for the holes to mount the switch box & switch. By the way, I also highly recommend the Kreg Band Saw Fence.

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#6 posted 05-18-2009 06:36 AM

I have been thinking about buying a riser for my delta, and didn’t know if the HF would fit, but I can’t locate the riser on the HF site. I wonder if it’s been discontinued.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View roadrunner0925's profile

roadrunner0925

#7 posted 05-18-2009 07:27 AM

i asked the people at hf if i bought this saw, would i be able to install a riser block and was it available. they said no, i didnt buy the saw. how do i get the risewr blk kit? and how much was the kit, if i may ask?

-- wm, brandon,ms

View Milo's profile

Milo

862 posts in 2044 days

#9 posted 05-18-2009 11:06 PM

Ya know, I’ve got an knock off bandsaw myself. Wonder if that riser kit would work on mine. Anyone know if you can buy a generic riser kit somewhere?

THANKS!

Milo

-- Beer, Beer, Thank God for Beer. It's my way of keeping my mind fresh and clear...

View Tony Z's profile

Tony Z

#10 posted 05-19-2009 01:57 AM

Sweet. I’m waiting for the day I hit a musket ball. It’s my dream! How much was the riser kit from HF and will it fit a Ridgid? Anyone know the answer?

-- Tony, Ohio

#11 posted 05-19-2009 04:44 AM

I purchased the riser kit when I bought the saw from their web site several years back for $50. You’re right, I don’t see the riser kit on the web site any more either. the HF band saw looks like the Rigid, Grizzly & Jet were all made from the same dies. If I saw one of the other riser kits I should be able to tell if it would fit. You might try calling Harbor Freight’s customer service # or send the queation by e-mail. I googled the riser kit & came up with these hits. You might want to check them out. It may be of help to call Grizzly tools to ask them if their riser would fit the HF saw.

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2028 days

#12 posted 05-21-2009 06:39 AM

Yep.

#13 posted 06-03-2009 03:28 AM

Here’s some more interesting info on the riser kit for the Harbor Freight 14” Band Saw. The following is a link to the product manual for the saw. It includes the parts for the riser kit.

Next is a link to the Grizzly web site which has a riser kit for their saw that looks the same as the Harbor Freight model. You could call their customer service & ask if it will fit the HF model. The price for this riser is $70.

View roadrunner0925's profile

roadrunner0925

#14 posted 06-03-2009 04:17 AM

when i clicked on the hf link it went to a drum sander. wm

-- wm, brandon,ms

#15 posted 06-04-2009 05:12 AM

Oops! This should be the correct link…