My new lathe!

Review by turninburls posted 03-07-2016 06:25 PM 3047 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My new lathe! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just wanted to post my opinion about this lathe. I purchased it about 3 months ago for $500.00. Please keep in mind that my previous lathe is a pre 50’s Delta. I wanted to upgrade so I had more versatility, size accomodation and variable speed. I researched different lathes for several months prior to my purchase and could not find anything about this Woodtek. Its a well built machine that runs smooth and quiet. I was a bit concerned that the 3/4hp motor may not be suffient but I have found it has plenty of torque, even turning manzanita burls (I love turning manzanita!) stalls only when I get too aggressive. I did bolt it to the floor which made all the difference in the world due to it not being very heavy (only about 350-400lbs.). Please feel free to ask any questions about the lathe. The bottom line is that I think its a great starter/advanced lathe and would recomend it to anyone getting into turning! Happy turning!!! Sorry about the sideways picture, it was correct when I chose it…I’m better at woodworking than computers!!!

-- Turninburls

View turninburls's profile

turninburls

View misterChips's profile

misterChips

#1 posted 03-07-2016 08:57 PM

I have a starter wood lath and love it. I have so much fun turning table legs. I will never need a more advance lath as I only make things for my family and friends.

J’ai une latte de bois de démarrage et l’aime. J’ai plaisir à tourner la table jambes tellement. Je ne pourrai jamais avoir besoin d’une avance plus lattis que je ne fais que des choses pour ma famille et les amis

-- Don't only practice your art, but force your way in to its secrets... Ludwig Von Beethoven.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

2186 posts in 1972 days

#2 posted 03-08-2016 12:11 PM

Can remember when could buy that lathe new for well under $1,000. Looked at one at Woodworker’s Supply here in NC many years ago.

Good luck with it.

-- Bill

View turninburls's profile

turninburls

#3 posted 03-11-2016 09:09 PM

Thanks all!!! I appreciate your comments and appreciate being a part of lumberjocks!!!

-- Turninburls

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#4 posted 03-11-2016 11:10 PM

This looks like a great addition to your shop. Congratulations.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#5 posted 03-12-2016 12:45 AM

I think you got one heck of a deal there…that should last you a long time. Looks clean!

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN