Contractors Saw

Review by Wingstress posted 1901 days ago 7193 views 3 times favorited 39 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Contractors Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just bought a SawStop two weeks ago. I bought the “contractors” saw instead of the cabinet saw. I put contractors in quotes because it still weighs over 300 lbs. I got the cast iron wings instead of the aluminum ones with a 36-inch fence, extension table, mobil base, dado cartridge, dado brake, for about $2300. Its the same exact table dimensions you get with the cabinet saw, but between $1000-$2000 cheaper. I would seriously look into the contractors saw. Really I don’t see any reason to get the cabinet saw. (unless you need 3hp, but I’m a box maker and it cuts 8/4 maple without even changing tone.) The contractors saw does not vibrate at all! It does have plastic turn wheels for the blade height and angle instead of cast iron, but you can buy cast iron wheels at grizzly.com fairly cheaply. Besides the safety feature, this saw F@#$ing KICKS @$$!!! It cuts so smooth and straight. I bought a $110 forest blade for it, but the Sawstop blade it comes with works so well I don’t think I need it. So far I’ve cross cut melamine, plywood, hardboard, mahogany, cherry, walnut without any tearout. I found myself cutting boards just to cut them, so I could run my finger down the smooth edge. The assembly directions come with color coated fasteners and poster board thick instructions that you can hang on the wall like a calendar. The owners manual is a spiral back book with full color detail. It is by far the nicest, coolest, best performing, awesomest (is that a word) tool I’ve ever seen! (from the second you take it out of the box) My advise to everyone that reads this is to go and buy this tool immediately!!!

112001 posts in 2181 days

#1 posted 1901 days ago

Hey Tom
Thanks for the review. I’m so pleased that this saw works so well. I recommend it to each and every student that ask me what table saw to buy even though I don’t own one just the safety aspect it’s worth the money. Good review.

View Miket's profile

Miket

#2 posted 1901 days ago

Good job!

Why buy a car without airbags.

Feels good using a nice saw, huh?

-- It's better to have people think you're stupid rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

View noknot's profile

noknot

548 posts in 2045 days

#3 posted 1901 days ago

I can only dream, the co pay is still lower than that so the wife wont let me get it LOL. Thanks for rubbing it in.

-- GO DAWGS!

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1965 days

#4 posted 1901 days ago

Now that is one mean saw.

View pat44's profile

pat44

19 posts in 1995 days

#5 posted 1900 days ago

Tom,

Nice purchase. How is the dust collection?

#6 posted 1900 days ago

That is a really nice saw, Tom. It is all the saw you are ever going to need and, with the safety feature, this is money well spent.

View Roper's profile

Roper

#7 posted 1900 days ago

sounds like a great saw, i would like to read your review after dragging that beast from jobsite to jobsite for a year though.

-- Roper - Master of sawdust- www.roperwoodturning.com

View brewtang's profile

brewtang

#8 posted 1900 days ago

They are also coming out with a new Professional cabinet saw…their current saws are the Industrial cabs. Its going to be in the 3000 range and have the 3hp motor. It’s a very good middle step between the two saws they have now. Pretty much a direct shot at Delta and the new Unisaw.

-- Billy, Jacksonville

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#9 posted 1900 days ago

Ya sure….another wimp afraid to loose a few fingers…c’mon man up, and stop with the expensive safety devices. You Hollywood types with your money and all your fingers in tact, you think you know everything…Dare to be different and join the manley club, where it takes two hands to order five beers….

Sorry I don’t know what came over me..I think another LJ was being channeled trough me..Great saw…you will love it..I wish I could afford a saw stop!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#10 posted 1900 days ago

Dave, that was hilarious! I thought you were serious for a second… I’m in Simsbury by the way…

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#11 posted 1900 days ago

Ahhh, Brad-Nailor, shame on yas!

Let’s look at the money: Wingstress got one helluva deal here. With all the extras, including another brake for just the dado, this saw only cost him $2300! Not a bad price. All of that should cost, list, more than $2500! HD has been offering the cast iron TS3660’s for ~$400 since the release of the granite top models.

It isn’t just manly… SawStop is charging one helluva lot for their safety features.

BTW, Brad-Nailor, what are you sawing with? Have you plunked down your >$2k for a SawStop yet?

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#12 posted 1900 days ago

EE I wish…I am going to have to settle with a dangerous model. I love saw stops..I have been following the technology since I first heard about it before they even released their first saw. I think its a great idea, and I’m sure the long list of people that still have fingers because of it will agree!

Tom…Howdy neighbor! Did your signature say before that you were in Simsbury? I know quite a few people that live in Simsbury! I was hoping you would get the joke..after I posted it I thought…gee I hope nobody thinks I was serious!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#13 posted 1900 days ago

I doubt anyone thought you were serious. I thought it was funny. Yeah, we’re neighbors… I actually just moved to Simsbury, I was in East Granby the last 4 years and East Hartford for 2 Years before that…

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#14 posted 1900 days ago

[heavy sigh] ...not joking anymore, are you?

And what long list would that be? Where might I get a copy? This is exactly the kind of statement that woodchuck railed against when everybody all but drove him from this forum: You gotta have a SawStop because you will have an accident and you will lose your fingers.

According to this survey, the vast majority of injuries in the shop (almost 90%) required only home first aid. It is not a given that you will have an accident and, if you do have an accident, it is not a given that you will lose fingers. So drop the scare tactics, OK?

I like this review: it actually sounds like this is a nice table saw excluding the safety features – if you have that kind of long green to shell out for a saw.

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View Elaine's profile

Elaine

Great Buy! Oh if I only could get out of the house…. The only thing I’d warn people of with this saw, do not use cheap blades. I was at a local woodworking establishment where one of the employees was demonstrating the saw a couple years ago. He didn’t want to waste the better blade and put in what he referred to as “a cheap blade”. The infamous hotdog was used to demonstrate the safety system. Well, the brake hit the blade as it is supposed to… A tooth or two broke off that “cheap blade” and exited the housing, flying out and into the dozen or so people standing around the saw. It happened so fast, the only ones who ducked were those of us who have worked in the lumber industry. Luckily for everyone there, no one was hurt.