Low Cost and Accurate Shelf Edging for Plywood

Review by curliejones posted 03-04-2016 01:09 PM 2605 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Low Cost and Accurate Shelf Edging for Plywood No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

You may have seen something similar, but the thin rip jigs I came across were more complex. I decided to use one particular attribute, the pointed stick, and work from there. Here’s the short version of instructions: Put a point on a stick and clamp it to the table top. Cut a spacer from a plastic card or license plate. Measure the distance from the point to the fence with the rip fence against the blade and allow for the blade and card thickness. For example, I wanted 1/4” strips for shelf edging so I added the card thickness, 1/16”, and the blade thickness, 1/8”, and made the point to fence distance the sum of the three, or 7/16”. Try on a piece of scrap and measure.

Using the “jig”. Index the stock you are ripping against the card which is placed against the point being sure to have the stock against the fence. Lock the fence down and remove the card so there’s no rub against the stick while ripping. Loosen the fence and repeat for the number of thin rips desired.

I had previously ripped all the plywood to consistent widths before building the case work. To have the adjustable shelves fit inside, they needed to be slightly less than the bookcase. By adding the edging, they would need to be ripped again, so if the “thin rips” varied by a couple of 1000ths was unimportant. I did not bother to measure the thickness except to ascertain that the first couple were exactly .025 in. since all twelve shelves were to go back through the table saw once the edging was glued on.
Hope this helps someone to “Keep It Simple”.

-- Like Guy Clark sez - "Sometimes I use my head, Sometimes I get a bigger hammer"

View curliejones's profile

curliejones

View ThomasPittman's profile

ThomasPittman

#1 posted 03-05-2016 02:44 AM

Looks like a useful jig. Seems like more of a project than a tool review though. But it doesn’t matter I guess.

View Albert's profile

Albert

#2 posted 03-07-2016 02:52 PM

Thin Rip Jig sounds like a tool to me. Thanks for the post, good idea.