Pinewood Forge -kolrosing from the recliner

Review by Elaine posted 1882 days ago 5751 views 4 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pinewood Forge -kolrosing from the recliner Pinewood Forge -kolrosing from the recliner No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was in a quandary several weeks ago, fractured heel/ripped tendon and a “fashionable” new boot. I was googling -woodworking from the barcalounger (recliner) or some such and ran across Del Stubb’s Pinewood Forge sight. Ordered a couple packages -kolrosing and spoon carving along with the knives. The tools are wonderful, easy to use and easy to sharpen. The Kolrosing Knife itself is a piece of art, well balanced and comes sharpened and ready to use. IMHO, prices are very fair for the high quality product. Kolrosing is literally “coal rubbing” and the process comes historically from Scandinavian countries. The kolrosing knife is like a high quality pen, though balanced to weight at the blade. If you can hold a pen, you can use the knife. There is a learning curve but so is life. The spoon knife and the sloyd knife are well balanced. Del has some videos on youtube.com and from his sight, pinewoodforge.com that provides enough detail in sharpening knifes or forming spoons. Better yet, with this form of carving, I don’t get “the look” from LOML for chips being all over the floor. I highly recommend this product for everyone who needs a bit of relaxing to someone on bed rest!

Happy Sanity!

111999 posts in 2160 days

Good review ,kolrosing is a whole new term to me.

Elaine

Thanks Jim! Kolrosing is like line drawing, only with a knife. Eventually, I’m hoping to learn how to shade, etc. Brings back memories using India Ink in High School Art class.

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

I hadn’t heard the term either so I went to Wikipedia, which offered nothing (hasn’t yet been entered by any enterprising would be Wiki contributor) and then Googled it which was more effective. It appears to be an interesting type of fine pattern oriented carving/etching.

The most comprehensive info I found was at this link. : Pinewood Forge

Interesting stuff. :)

-- JMP

View johnpoolesc's profile

johnpoolesc

246 posts in 1943 days

reminds me of an eastern form of chip carving. good post.. years ago a nurse brought me a book on chip carving.. 3 months later when i could walk, i married her

-- It's not a sickness, i can stop buying tools anytime.

View Loucarb's profile

Loucarb

2388 posts in 2028 days

Very interesting. How expensive was the kit?

View mmh's profile

mmh

How fun! Sounds like a new set of tools and technique we all could try. Maybe Santa (or the Easter Bunny) will give us all Kolrosing kits for Christmas.

Sing along now . . ”High Ho a merry-oh, a Kol-rosing we will go . . .HO!”

FYI: Here’s the website for prices: http://www.pinewoodforge.com/catalog.html

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Looks like the kind of thing me forefathers in Norway would do to pass long winter nights :-))

Elaine

TopaMax -I think me forefather’s drank whiskey when they weren’t building, fishing or having children ;)

Loucarb -$66.00 + s and h, (the kit is the second picture) mmh and emeralds were kind enough to put the web sight link in this review. Thanks mmh! I don’t know how to get the link in yet.

johnpoolesc – sounds like a match made in heaven

View MrDan's profile

MrDan

I have to agree with the quality of Pinewood Forge tools. I have the sloyd and the hook knife and they are amazing. Works of art in and of themselves and they come razor sharp ready to work. A joy to use.

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Glad to hear good news on the quality of the knives. I have a couple of hook knives on order. I guess there is currently a 4-6 week backlog.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov