Boring machine

Review by Steve posted 03-03-2016 05:04 AM 1950 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Boring machine Boring machine Boring machine Click the pictures to enlarge them

Used my boring machine to drill a bunch of holes in my cabinet box sides. Drilled 7 cabinets in around 20 minutes, this is a very easy tool to setup and worked just great. the only thing its a little loud while running so I put on my hearing protection.

View Steve's profile

Steve

186 posts in 1904 days

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#1 posted 03-03-2016 07:18 AM

If it is so loud, you should have written in ALL CAPS! ... that’s a joke in case you missed it!

I probably could never afford one of these but I do have some questions.

I know there is a cost difference but could you do the same (and more) with a CNC?
When I was still working I was used to using “hard tooling”, i.e. Greenlee punches, sheet metal brakes etc.
Just before I retired, the company scrapped all those hard tool for soft tooling (CNC bad sheet benders) as they thought it was more cost effective.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View jbay's profile

jbay

2039 posts in 803 days

#2 posted 03-03-2016 03:27 PM

That’s not a very “exciting” Machine. :) Congrats
They’re worth there weight in gold if your drilling holes a lot.
I used to have the delta model until I moved up to a double row machine. It’s one of the best time saving machines I have.

-- If anyone would like to see my Portfolio, PM me and I would be glad to send you the link.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#3 posted 03-03-2016 05:48 PM

Oldnovice- as to more with a CNC; yes. Before the advent of the CNC; I used a drill jig and tablesaw. I always wanted an in line boring machine. Now I have and use the CNC for cutting out and drilling cabinets. The problem with the drill jig is that a drill bit will not produce the quality of a boring machine and CNC. If you are making a large quanity order; his machine sure improves production.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

#4 posted 03-03-2016 11:15 PM

Geez, Steve, how many cabinets are you planning to make? I used to think you were a hobbiest, but it looks like you are going to be a professional woodworking. Congratulations on the tool and the new career.

-- Art

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7733 posts in 1910 days

#5 posted 03-04-2016 03:12 PM

I can see the cost (and time) savings if you build a lot of cabinets or book cases, but for guys like me who just do hobby work, it would not be a very good investment.

Pretty cool machine though !

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View htl's profile

htl

#6 posted 03-05-2016 12:20 AM

I’ve been a dowel man all my life so drilling holes is in my blood so man I like that tool. lol

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View JK0702's profile

JK0702

138 posts in 2035 days

#7 posted 03-13-2016 11:13 PM

Steve, I’d love to have one of those machines. They truly are worth their weight. I’ve had the opportunity to use such a machine a couple of times, but to own one is Waaay out of my budget. I see them on CL every now and then. Even those are pricey. Congrats to you though, I’m jealous.

-- John - Huntington Beach, CA --- Growth occurs when we get out of our comfort zone.