Expensive but Useful

Review by EdsCustomWoodCrafts posted 02-28-2016 01:32 AM 2924 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Expensive but Useful No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I purchased this because of a couple of reasons:

I am tired of spending a lot of money on trim and molding at the the big box stores and I have started to make my own on the router table easy!!!!!! BUT when it came to cutting 1/4” -1/2” strips of a larger piece I felt very uncomfortable and unsafe ripping these dimensions on my TS..

On top of this need I have been bombarded with magazine articles and TV commercial promoting this product and I decided that I would see what all the fuss is about..

What I like:
1. Solidly built even though its a plastic push stick.
2. Peace of mind that I’m not going to loose fingers ripping boards as small as 1/4’ anymore..
3. Extremely versatile on Table saw and Router table..
4. Very well put together instructional DVD and user manual.. explain everything that it can do and how to use safely use it and producing quality woodworking.
5. I like that the material I’m cutting doesn’t have burn marks from the saw blade because of the equal distribution of force with the hand held jig.
6. Very much like the leapfrog approach using 2 of the jigs but its a little pricey to buy 2 at one time so Ill use it for a while and buy another down the road.
7. It grips the wood extremely well and doesn’t budge
8. The side piece( balance support) of the jig almost acts a a feather board when cutting narrower pieces of stock.
9. You can build your own shop made accesories such as a wooden riser for working with wood thick than 2”
10. Its controls both side of the cutting blade resulting in drastic decrease in kickback

What I don’t like:
1. The price point $60 for the basic model and at the end of the day it is a plastic push stick..
2. Its a heavily accessorized jig and they give you the bare minimum ob the base model..
3. The side of the jig only acts as a feather board if your cutting a piece no wide and 2.5”
4. I think if you spend $60 on this jig Micro Jig should give you the stabilizing plate and the spacer adjustment with it and not charge $80 for the upgrade model..

-- Thanks Ed “A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown”

View EdsCustomWoodCrafts's profile

EdsCustomWoodCrafts

View Greg the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg the Cajun Wood Artist

#1 posted 02-28-2016 04:35 AM

I’ve had one of these for years and use it very often. Well worth the money for the convenience and safety.

-- Wood for projects is like a good Fart..."better when you cut it yourself"

View jayseedub's profile

jayseedub

#2 posted 02-28-2016 02:34 PM

I’ve made a couple of these out of wood from some plans I found somewhere on the Internet, and love the additional functionality that they provide to my table saw. I’ve made 1/8” rip cuts I never would have considered, and the additional stability that it provides makes things so much safer. I would love to have bought the “legit” thing—but they’re just unreasonably expensive. It made me cringe (smile) a little to read that you bought them—in part—because of all the advertising…. Not that that’s a bad reason—but it IS the reason that they’re so expensive in the first place!

The product is wonderful, and would be at an approachable price if they would just find better, cheaper ways to market it to the masses. Similar to the SawStop, it markets itself, and being able to cut advertising and marketing budgets for those products would make them obtainable (and wouldn’t force a little guy like me to make one from scratch!).

Likewise, I concur that over-accessorizing of the product, and the similarly outrageous pricing of those add-ons is insulting.

Your review is solid, the product’s functionality is all there—and I heartily encourage everyone to build their own!!

View EricLew's profile

EricLew

#3 posted 02-28-2016 05:09 PM

I bought these at the woodworking show about a year and a half ago when I got back into woodworking. MicroJig had a show special where you got two of the 200 models, plus some extras, a pair of the 1/8 inch legs, some additional hardware… I paid $135 and at the time thought, I can’t believe I just spent $135 on push sticks.

I consider these one of the best tool investments I have ever made. Once you get over that initial shock of passing your hand over the blade the first time, they are incredible. You can configure them to make almost any type of cut. I use them on almost every cut I make. Table saw, router table, sometimes on the band saw, It is worth it to me to spend a minute or two making the adjustment to use it, even for just a couple of cuts. I too have made 1/8 in rips and feel safe doing it. On the rare occasion that I use a conventional push stick, it now makes me nervous, like going back to using the factory throat plate instead of a ZCI.

Are they very expensive? absolutely, but if they are a tool you will use all the time, and make you feel safe, I think it’s worth it. Personally, if needed I would buy them again in a minute.

-- I love the smell of coffee in the morning, and sawdust in the afternoon

View pottz's profile

pottz

#4 posted 03-01-2016 12:50 AM

i bought mine too at a woodworking several years ago and thought the same thing why did i spend so much money on a plastic push block,well its one of the best tools ive ever bought.a great safety device thats well worth the money.altough i just dont seem to use it as much as i should,need to change that.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#5 posted 03-01-2016 02:45 AM

Bought mine from Lowes on sale for half price and I love it. I’ve never regretted spending the dough. They are still made in the US which explains the higher cost. But if we ever want our country to get back on track economically we need to support businesses that manufacturer here at home.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#6 posted 03-01-2016 02:29 PM

I love mine as well. Not only do they make cuts safer, but the quality of my cuts has improved a lot. I have virtually zero burn marks on my cuts now (using relatively straight wood). I would by them again in a heart beat.

View htl's profile

htl

#7 posted 03-02-2016 03:54 PM

Just couldn’t handle the price but because of the advertising I have been thinking and using push sticks more and more.
For me a lot has to do with what I’m making.
In wood model making I have to make a lot of very small parts so jigs, feather boards and push sticks are a must.
I built a wood gripper from plans on the net but it’s way to heavy for what i’m doing so if I were to make another one I Would probable use more plastic parts in my build.
I just love the idea of a store bought gripper just can’t handle the price.
They need to change the name to ripper me thinks.

Many can afford the best of every thing but for me I’ll just have to make my own and droll at all the fancy new toys out there. Sad but true

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View Richard's profile

Richard

1916 posts in 2596 days

#8 posted 03-03-2016 05:53 PM

I use these when I am working at the Local Tech Shop and I really love them , that said I want to buy a pair for use at home but it is going to be a while because of other needs right now for my limited cash. Most likely try to find a sale at Lowes or woodcraft or some place and get at least one then and the second later, unless the cash flow gets better. and right now none of the six Lowes stores in my area have them in stock.
I really do feel that they make a lot of different cuts much safer to do , can’t figure out why it took so long for someone to make them.

View ShapingGrain's profile

ShapingGrain

#9 posted 03-04-2016 02:02 AM

I received this the Christmas after my dad had a run in with his table saw. I make a lot of cutting boards and this is fantastic for cutting thin pieces. I am able to get more consistently smooth cuts and I feel safe. The safety is worth the price and it is easy to adjust. I use it with almost every cut so the price should fall off your mind quickly.

-- Ken, New Hampshire, www.shapinggrain.com

View twotenths's profile

twotenths

#10 posted 03-16-2016 11:32 AM

I’ve got a pair of them and have been glad that I do. There is no doubt that they are a big improvement over a push stick, especially when you need to do fussy jobs on the table saw. Expensive but not hard to justify for safety’s sake.

View Chris Cook's profile

Chris Cook

#11 posted 01-06-2017 12:36 AM

Saw this an thought I would ad my $0.02!

This is well worth the money and much more than a push stick.
It’s a family owned business and made in the USA.

Can you make your own? Yes, if you can make one like this in less than 10 hours then you don’t mind doing so for $8/hour!

-- Chris, "all we are is sawdust in the dust collector""