A great accessory for your router

Review by GaryK posted 05-14-2009 06:04 PM 5044 views 9 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great accessory for your router A great accessory for your router A great accessory for your router Click the pictures to enlarge them

Using either one of two wrenches for replace a router bit can be a real pain. Especially if it’s in a router table.

This nifty little thing will allow you to replace your router with an allen wrench.

This “Eliminator RC Quick Change Chuck” is a combination bit extension and one-tool chuck.
Unlike other extensions, it replaces the nut and collet on your router thus minimizing run-out which can occur with some extensions.

I hesitated getting one of these things for a long time, but finally broke down and got one.
Now I don’t know how I could have done without one for so long.

I use a ball nosed tee-handle allen wrench to make it real easy, but a normal “L” shaped allen wrench still works great.

I have been using this for about 1 year and it works great. It seems to be built very strong and is well made.

It’s expensive, about $55, but if you use your router a lot it might be worth it to you.

Here is a video showing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDy0xeiq08g

Looking online I found that they have 4 different styles that will fit the following.
Now I have only the Porter-Cable one, so I can’t say anything for the others.

1 Porter-Cable® All except 890 series routers.

2 DeWALT® 625, Elu® and freud® FT2000EP and FT1700VCE and all Festool®, Trend® and Fein® 1/2” routers.

3 DeWALT® 616, 618, 621 and Hitachi® M-12VS, M-12VC and M-12SC routers.

4 BOSCH 1613AEVS, 1617EVS, 1618EVS, 1619EVS routers.

They also make a sleeve for 1/4” bits.
Made in USA.

#1 posted 05-14-2009 06:07 PM

Thanks Gary
I wondered how well these worked , I don’t think I could afford one for all my routers but a couple would be cool.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#2 posted 05-14-2009 06:09 PM

Thanks for the review, Gary. I was wondering how these would work also. I have a router table that’s a pain to change the bits in, and I need to replace a broken chuck anyways, so I think Ill give this a try. I have the 1617 Bosch, so I’m in there.

#3 posted 05-14-2009 06:09 PM

a1Jim – I have 7 routers but so far only one of these. I’m planning on getting a second.

It comes real handy on my Legacy mill.

#4 posted 05-14-2009 06:36 PM

I have seen these that are on a shank so they would fit any router, but I like the idea that they replace your existing nut on the router.

I might have to get a couple of these, but the router in my table is a Ryobi so i’ll have to go with the generic version for that.

#5 posted 05-14-2009 07:00 PM

Karson – I’m sure that you are talking about one of these:

My concern about this type is the about of lateral stress it will put on your routers bearings. Such a long extension would apply a lot leverage. Not to mention run-out.

View majeagle1's profile

majeagle1

#6 posted 05-14-2009 07:01 PM

Great review Gary, thanks alot…............ I had not seen one of these yet and now am sure to get one for my PC mounted in my router table. Wow, to be able to get rid of the 2 wrenches!!!!

Have you tried the 1/4” sleeve? I am guessing that it would be designbed where there would be no problem with any slippage or anything…......

-- Gene, Majestic Eagle Woodworks, http://majesticeagleww.etsy.com/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/majesticeagle/

#7 posted 05-14-2009 07:02 PM

majeagle1 – They won’t slip. It looks like the one in the picture above. Most any 1/2” to 1/4” adapter will work.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#8 posted 05-14-2009 07:24 PM

Looks good, but with my 3 1/4 HP Triton, the shaft automatically locks when you raise it to change a bit.

That’s one of the reasons I bought the Triton.

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

#9 posted 05-14-2009 07:56 PM

I’m in the process of upgrading my router for my router table. I was looking at this guy, and plan to add it to my order. I also looked at the Xtreme Xtension, but I liked how Eliminator threaded onto your router.

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

#10 posted 05-14-2009 11:41 PM

Nice review Gary, I’ve wondered before if these are just gimmicks but now I really want one. Kind of disappointed no Milwaukke routers on that list though.

I am curious what’s on the other side of that chuck opposite to the screw to balance it out. Or is that what the hole on top is for?

-- Ed

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#11 posted 05-15-2009 12:03 AM

This is a cool tool, and I appreciate that you rate it so highly Gary. Like Dick I have a Triton router which locks when I raise the bit, but I will keep this in mind for future routers.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View DocK16's profile

DocK16

#12 posted 05-15-2009 12:31 AM

Gary
I have both the chucks shown above. I bought the “Xtreme Xtension” chuch first but I had alot of vibration using larger bits and to be honest I haven’t used it since I first bought it. The Eliminator chuch was a different story and I found it worked fine. It is especially nice when using the Z-axis with the legacy. It was near impossible task trying to hold the bit in an upright router with one hand and then trying to use 2 wrenchs to tighten the chuck (a three handed job) this chuck eliminated that problem. Guess that’s why they call it the Eliminator chuck.

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

View Les Hastings's profile

Les Hastings

#13 posted 05-15-2009 12:56 AM

I have one on my Legacy. It does work very well and makes it a snap to change bits

-- Les, Wichita, Ks. (I'd rather be covered in saw dust!)

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

262 posts in 2095 days

#14 posted 05-15-2009 02:10 AM

You’ve convinced me. Definitely adding one to my wish list. Father’s day is just around the corner.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#15 posted 05-15-2009 02:22 AM

Les, you stole my comment. WE also have one on the legacy and it is biter sweet.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps