Quality saw right out of the box

Review by EdsCustomWoodCrafts posted 02-28-2016 01:10 AM 4296 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Quality saw right out of the box No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was replacing a Craftsman Miter saw for a better sliding version amd I stuck with Craftsman becaise the other saw was perfect until I stsrted working with wider boards and was tires off setting up the crosscut slet on my TS.

Anyway I like this model for the following reasons..
1. It was on sale and got this $300 saw for $207.
2. Its a quick learning curve from owning a non sliding miter saw to a sliding model.
3. The saw came with a 60 tooth blade that is great for hitting the ground running but I will put a diablo blade in it soon.
4. Its a really compact design and it sits flush to the back wall and the sliding arms don’t interfere with this.
5. It will cut hard/soft wood with ease I have used this on 8/4 hard maple boards and it cut through it like a hot knife through butter.
6. The Laser Trak is built into the unit so you don’t have to always fuss with replacing batteries every 2 weeks.. really like this feature..
7. Although my saw sits on a dedicated miter saw station it does have an built extension arms either side of the saw blade that extend past the main body of the saw for supporting the board your cutting.
8. The blade wrench has a dedicate home in the chop arm of the saw.. so you never loose the wrench when needing to change the blade

What I don’t like.
1. Dust collection sucks
2. Its hard to clean the body of the saw.. i might try blowing the dust from it with my shop vac..
3. It creates a mountain of sawdust and it gets everywhere..

-- Thanks Ed “A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown”

View EdsCustomWoodCrafts's profile

EdsCustomWoodCrafts

View Dan Tindall's profile

Dan Tindall

#1 posted 02-28-2016 02:17 PM

Bought this same saw during the same sale. It replaced my Kobalt sliding compound miter saw. Best feature was the compact nature of the say. In my small shop, the ability to have this new Craftsman saw sit close to the wall was essential.

I agree with the OPs assessment of the saw both the good and bad. When i get a few minutes, I will be building a new miter saw station that will incorporate a dust hood to help control some of the dust this saw creates.

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#2 posted 02-29-2016 02:24 AM

I have the same one. I was building a miter saw station with a dust hood for dust collection and needed something I could put up against the wall. So far, I haven’t had anything that it hasn’t been able to cut well.

I would agree with you on the positives. I’m still using the stock blade. I have a replacement ready but haven’t seen the need to change it yet.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#3 posted 03-01-2016 02:41 AM

I looked at one last year but I had concerns because it was easy to deflect. Maybe it was just a bad floor model.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View JIMMIEM's profile

JIMMIEM

#4 posted 05-23-2016 01:00 PM

I bought the Sears 10” slider too. Mine is model 21237. What model did you folks buy? I was in Sears recently and saw there were some design changes from the model I bought. The model I bought received good reviews from WOOD magazine.