Osborne Miter guage for your table saw

Review by Bob #2 posted 1896 days ago 4263 views 3 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Osborne Miter guage for your table saw Osborne Miter guage for your table saw Osborne Miter guage for your table saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had looked at this guage before and had purchased an alternate one in the interim. (shoot me)

I got a chance last week to re evaluate it and have these observations:

1. It uses triangulation rather than depending on a pivot point on a miter guage.
What this means is that where a miter guage can get you close, the triangle can get you dead on.
It’s just got more room on the scale to get it right.
The extendable arm has a series of detents on the underside (20 in all) that gets you right in the zone for the most usual cuts and the long scale lets you eyeball the in between settings with great accuracy.

2. The guide bar, always a PIA with most aftermarket devices is slotted in 3 places allowing you to set screws at each point to get a perfect fit in your miter slot.
3. The fence is made to slide back and forth to get you within kissing distance of the blade even when cutting extreme angles on the tablesaw.
4. There is a micro adjustment on the extension arm allowing you to close in on the last few thousandths of perfect by rotating the eccentric to position the offset.
5. It has a broad reach of 42 inches allowing you the freedom to cut up to and including a 41” slab without knocking down your set up.

I did a couple of test cuts today and it is very much better than the offshore model I had been using.

I’ll give it 5 stars . The detent could be a bit easier but then it does work as it should now. (I’ll get used to it)
It comes comlpete with 3 extra set screws in case you loose one and a nylon slider tape for the underside as well as a rugged piece of anti slip abrasive for the faceing edge to prevent your work from sliding during a cut.
Well thought out right down to the extra details.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

View Sean's profile

Sean

I agree, I have one. good price on it too, I’ve been happy with mine.

-- "Democracy is by far the worst system of government. Except all the others that have been tried." ~ Winston Churchill

111999 posts in 2172 days

I love mine

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

Me too! I love this tool, it is dead on accurate from the factory, and the repeatability factor is great! I love this tool!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1949 days

Yo that spining thin looks tight that miter gauge looks better then the incra miter gauge

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the review Bob. I’d kind of forgotten about them.

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1921 days

Nice review, I have been thinking of one of these…guess I need to think a little harder.

-- Don S.E. OK

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

I’ll have to remember this. Good price on the website – wonder if will last until I get my pennies saved up? Thanks for the review!

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

986 posts in 1954 days

Ooohh baby!! Luckily, Father’s Day is coming up.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Tony's profile

Tony

I have been using mine for 5 years now on a daily basis – I do not know what I would do without it. It is still as good today as the day it came out of the box, except for a few saw kerf marks on one end, where I forgot to re-adjust the bar. it is so easily calibrated to the exact angle you want and the presets are are dead on.

Switching from left to right sided operation of the blade takes a few minutes only.

Definitely worth the 5 stars Bob gave it

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View dadsbasement's profile

dadsbasement

isn t this the same one norm uses on the new yankee work shop

-- joe,pennsylvania

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

Hi Bob:

I’ve always been really skeptical about high-end miter gauges, as they’re all enormously over priced for what they do and rarely do it as well as advertised IME. That’s why when I saw your review and read a few more comments I got really stoked about this product. I did a little more digging and it seems that no one that owns one has anything negative to say about it which in and of itself is amazing as it’s contrary to basic human nature.

After I was convinced that the product was going to replace my various sleds freeing up wall space and generally make my life perfect, I ran to spend my 110 bucks at the online store. While navigating my way through the various temptations thrown in my path on the way to pay, I pitched in another 30 dollar goodie and figured the 140 bucks for something I didn’t NEED would only hurt until the stuff got here after which any indignities I felt would be forgotten and I could revel in the joy of a tool well earned.

I filled out the payment info, hit enter and then got the bad news. $25.99 for UPS GOUND shipment!!!! WHAT?! In a time where even Grizzly, PowerMatic, and almost everyone else ships peripherals for 6-9 dollars, where Amazon ships all but the most minor purchases free of charge and where major equipment purchase dealers wouldn’t think to charge you a dime to ship a 600 pound machine, it seems to me that a one trick pony like Osborne would know better than to risk alienation of a reasonably small market by such an obvious ploy.

Shame on their marketing people, and too bad too as I really was jazzed. There again, I’m sure I’m not alone and can only wonder how many others have choked on that little gem.

Just the same, thanks for the review and the heads up. I’ll be watching Craigslist and Ebay but not holding my breath.

NEWS FLASH – Glad I could edit this. I searched for another vendor and low and behold I found this site, http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/50-eb3.html Not only is their price 10 bucks lower, the shipping is what you would expect (10 bucks). I grabbed one instantly.

-- JMP

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

Of all the egregious lies that some merchandisers tell that padded shipping charge galls me the most.

It generally at the end of a protracted fill in the blanks twice session just to pee me off further.
I will not pay it! Ever!
It should be in the price not slipped in to make the carriers look bad.

To me it’s just crooked merchandising and the sooner these idiots are gone the better for all .

JMP Glad you found a decent dealer and better yet a heads up for other LJ’s.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Great review Bob.

Lee

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

To be completely fair it’s important that less than an hour after my original post, David Osborne (I am assuming the name is not a coincidence) responded to my email (entered at the time of my experience from their site).

Although I’m not comfortable copying his actual correspondence directly, I will summarize. He expressed both knowledge of the problem and appreciation for my reaction to it. He explained that the trouble lies with the web-based software’s inability to recognize items capable of utilizing combined shipping. Further he stated that it is company policy to extend this courtesy and reduce the shipping cost whenever it is noticed and suggested the phone orders suffer from no such issues. He also offered to extend that service to me should I decide to go forward.

I thanked him for his response and explained that I had already resolved the issue through another vendor. While this doesn’t rectify the website problem, I know of few manufacturers who would take the time to personally answer an individual let alone in such a timely manner.

While I had some reservations about purchasing the product in the event that I might receive aftermarket service on par with that of their website, my concerns were arrested by Mr. Osborne’s responsiveness.

-- JMP

View Gene47's profile

Gene47

74 posts in 1922 days

I have one of these and love it. My thoughts are “IF it’s good enough for Norm then it sure is good enough for me”.

I also like the way that you can very easily calibrate this fence. I use the 5 cut method and when I need to adjust the gauge slightly it only took 2 tries to dial it in.

-- Gene Miller - it only took me 3 days 9 hours and 28 minutes to get that top flat!