Dremel 670 Mini Saw Review

Review by OakHill posted 02-24-2016 11:18 AM 3219 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Dremel 670 Mini Saw Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Great attachment. If you need to cut small or thin pieces of wood or plastic you really need this Dremel accessory in your tool inventory.

I have only tried it on about 6-7 cuts thus far. I found the best results when the work piece is clamped and in using two hands, one to hold the tool and the other hand to guide the Mini Saw works the best. Perhaps with practice this method will change. Just as with any other power saw, let the tool do the cutting, not the muscles in your arm.

Well designed and manufactured Mini Circular Saw. Another Dremel tool that’s well worth the price. Very easy to attach to and position on the hand tool.

The saw cuts quickly through the material and leaves a smooth edge. The tool is light duty which should be evident from looking at the pictorial in the ads. Use the right tool for the right job!

I have not had any trouble with the blade guard or seeing the guide line and kerf through the clear plastic housing. It cuts a clean thin kerf. Keep in mind it is not a heavy duty cutting tool.

“Spinning” in collet chuck problem resolved.

Reading the reviews before purchasing this tool a number of them said they encountered problems with the attachment “spinning” in the Collet Chuck. In spite of those reviews it looked like such a great tool idea that I just had to try it for myself.

Indeed there was a rotating problem. When I attached it to the Dremel series 4000 tool the Mini-Saw would rotate freely even though the coupling knob was tightened as far as it would go. I then tried it on a second 4000 and had the same problem.

While on the phone with Dremel Support, they tried the 670 Mini Saw on a 4000 tool. The saw tightened securely on their tool. They then thought I may have a defective unit and sent out a replacement. The exact same problem occurred with the replacement unit.

I called Dremel again and they had no answer for the problem. All they said was send the 2nd unit back to them. I said “before I return it I would try to find a nearby Dremel dealer and take my 4000 with the 670 attachment to them to help resolve the issue.”

I then took a closer look at the 670 assembled on the 4000. It became quite clear that the problem was due the coupling knob bottoming out on the front end of the 4000 housing body. I decided to remove a small amount of material from the open end of the black coupling nut. I ended up removing .050/.060 of material, cleaned up the burrs and reattached it on the tool and it tightened up securely. No rotation at all. Did the same to the replacement unit and it also worked. Now I have two Mini Saws that work perfectly.

John

1 comment so far

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#1 posted 02-25-2016 03:53 AM

Nice fix, as I was reading I was thinking I have seen this before on another tool issue.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.