Exactly What I Needed

Review by smitty22 posted 02-24-2016 01:47 AM 2543 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Exactly What I Needed Exactly What I Needed No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This set of silicone chisel tips/guards is exactly what I’ve been looking for since I started using chisels for serious woodworking. They are rugged and feel like they will survive quite a bit of use, fit standard flat chisels nicely, and are bright red so they don’t disappear in a pile of shavings.

There are 10 of these in the set, about $10 or so. Shown here installed on a few of my chisels, at $10.00 for the set, not cheap, but sure helps keep the cutting edges from banging on each other.

I love ‘em!

View Roger's profile

20928 posts in 2804 days

#1 posted 02-24-2016 07:18 PM

I seen those, but was afraid to pull the 10 dollar trigger..lol. Thnx for your review. Being made for each size specifically is a big plus

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#2 posted 02-25-2016 09:39 PM

How do you like those Marples chisels? I have a similar (older) set that I like a lot and they came with the same black plastic protectors. Of course, I’ve lost half of them. But now I know where to get replacements.

Thanks for posting a useful review.

-- It’s the knowledge in your head, skill in your hands and motivation to create in you heart that makes you a woodworker. - Mainiac Matt

View Picklehead's profile

Picklehead

1041 posts in 1929 days

#3 posted 02-25-2016 11:25 PM

Glad you’re happy. What a profit margin, though.

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

#4 posted 02-25-2016 11:36 PM

How do you like those Marples chisels? I have a similar (older) set that I like a lot and they came with the same black plastic protectors. Of course, I ve lost half of them. But now I know where to get replacements.

Thanks for posting a useful review.

- Mainiac Matt

Hi Matt, The Marples seem fine, backs didn’t need much flattening and they take and hold a really good edge. The only ones I use more are the Buck yellow-handled ones. The steel in those seems a bit softer but I just grab them first, not sure why!
Dale

View REL's profile

REL

#5 posted 02-26-2016 01:46 AM

Lee valley offers a version that are black for about $5.00, I think. I believe there sizes go up to 1 1/4”. Obviously tie in when they are offering free shipping.

-- REL, North Jersey

View REL's profile

REL

#6 posted 02-26-2016 01:47 AM

I meant to say THEIR sizes_.

-- REL, North Jersey

#7 posted 02-26-2016 04:47 AM

Lee valley offers a version that are black for about $5.00, I think. I believe their sizes go up to 1 1/4”. Obviously tie in when they are offering free shipping.

- REL

Thanks REL, I might order a set of those next time I get something from Lee Valley. I have a few other older chisels that could use them.