Shop Fox Table Saw Fence gets good marks.

Review by mart posted 05-11-2009 08:44 AM 9709 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Fox Table Saw Fence gets good marks. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A friend flew down to the lower 48 to pick up a truck he bought and was going to be going through Washington on the way back to Alaska. I took advantage of the opportunity to have him swing by the Grizzly warehouse to pick up some equipment for me. In addition to an eight inch jointer which I will preview later, I had him pickup the Shop Fox Classic Fence System with Standard Rails. I finally got around to installing it yesterday and it couldn’t have been easier. It went on my old Grizzly table saw perfectly and when I placed the fence on I expected some tedious adjusting to get the fence true with the blade. Not the case with this fence. I set it in place, measured to the miter slot and the blade and was surprised to find it dead on true. I made a couple of quick cuts to check it and it locked up true with no fussing like my old fence. I used to have to play with the fence, bump it one way or the other as I was locking it down to get it to lock up on the measurement. Then I would have to lock the back of the fence down with a homemade hold down to keep the fence from moving during the cut. The Shop Fox locks up hard and true. What a welcome change from the old fence. I haven’t had a chance use the saw much yet since I put the fence on but expect it will perform well judging by my first tests with it. I am impressed so far.

View Durnik150's profile

Durnik150

647 posts in 1980 days

#1 posted 05-11-2009 11:08 AM

A very good review. Thanks for getting the information out there to the rest of us. Two questions, how much did it run? And is that price comparable to others who claim similar accuracy?

Glad to hear you like the fence. I’ll keep your review in mind in the future since I need one as well.

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

#2 posted 05-11-2009 01:32 PM

Thanks for the review, Mart. In my mind the fence seems to make or break most table saws. Your description of the old fence sounds remarkable similar to the fence on my old Craftsman saw, so I can well understand how the upgrade has improved your woodworking experience.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile (online now)

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5112 posts in 1967 days

#3 posted 05-11-2009 04:13 PM

Hello Mart,
I agree completely. I have a Shop Fox on my grizzly saw and am very pleased with it. Before the grizzly/shop fox combo I had a 1947 Unisaw. The fence that came with the unisaw left a lot to be disired but of course that was tops in it’s day.
I know you will enjoy using the shop fox.

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#4 posted 05-11-2009 05:29 PM

Good Review another winning tool for grizzly

#5 posted 05-11-2009 06:11 PM

The Shop Fox Classic Fence with rails was $225.00 and the least expensive of any comparable fences. I did compare the Shop fox with the Beisemeyer fence with is considerably more money. I figured the Shop Fox had to be worlds better than what I was using and my friend was willing to haul it up here to save the freight charges. I really can’t compare it to any other fences other than the old one that was on my saw and the fence on my contractor buddy’s saw. Both of those fences have issues with locking up true with the blade. I had originally wanted the 7’ rails but they were out of stock in the Bellingham warehouse so I opted for the standard rails and am glad I did. I don’t really do enough ripping over 25 inches to merit the extra length of the rails or the extra room it would take. I am looking forward to my first big project with this new fence. Lots of spring clean up work before I can get to my woodworking projects though.

View builtinabarn's profile

builtinabarn

98 posts in 2043 days

#6 posted 05-12-2009 02:56 AM

I just purchased a Shop fox table saw with the 50” cut fence (7 foot rails) . I too was very pleased at the ease of installation and setting the fence parallel to the saw blade. Turns out I can actually make a 53” cut . SWEET

-- Built in a Barn Bob

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#7 posted 05-12-2009 04:07 AM

BEWARE WHEN USING THIS FENCE! Check your measurements with a tape measure. I have this fence at school, used to have one on my delta contractor saw, love them. However check your measurements with a tape measure. It is a hair off. However when you add a lot of hairs, you get a wig, so to speak. I usually set my indicator at 6” using a tape measure, no problems. However when you get to 36” it is 35 7/8” That is checking with the same heavy duty fat max stanley tape measure. The bubble magnifier indicator takes some getting used to also.

All in all a good fence very comparable to the beismeyer. Like I said, I have bought 2 of them, and would consider a 3rd, but since I am trying to convince school to get sawstops, I will get them with 52” fences already installed.

#8 posted 05-12-2009 05:04 AM

If I had one complaint it is that they forgot to include the scale for the rail. I always measure my fence to make sure anyway. I called Grizzly today and they were very apologetic about the missing measure for the rails. They are shipping one out today. Can’t ask for any more customer service wise, but then I have always been pleased with all my transactions with Grizzly.

View Matthewrbl's profile

Matthewrbl

9 posts in 1978 days

#9 posted 05-20-2009 01:50 AM

i think the bubble is only good for rough cuts because you can look through the bubble at different angles.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#10 posted 12-22-2009 04:09 PM

Tooldad – you’re basically saying the adhesive rule on your fence rail is off by 1/8” out at 36”. The fence isn’t to blame for that is it? I have this fence on my G1023SLWX and have been happy with it other than the lack of a better cursor. I’m thinking about etching a second line on the opposite side of the plexiglass so I can line up both lines and know I’m directly above the rule.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#11 posted 12-22-2009 08:18 PM

basically yes. I own 2 of them and am happy with them. I just double check my measurements if it needs to be exactly a certain size. Most of the time as long as all the boards are cut at the same time, there is no problem. It really doesn’t matter most of the time whether a bookshelf is 11 15/16” or 12 1/16”, just as long as all the shelves are the same depth.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#12 posted 03-04-2010 05:47 AM

If you have a few $$ to burn, check out the Wixey digital gauge for that fence…I put a review up on it.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View more's profile

#13 posted 04-26-2012 05:10 PM

I just joined recently, and was reading all of your bits regarding table saw fences, above. I noticed one of you men, Greg, has a website called fineartboxes.com. which I visited. Well, I haven’t quite caught my breath after seeing your unbelievable works of art. I’ve never seen beautiful boxes like these. Are you kidding? Wow. You are an arteeest! Thank you for letting us see your work.
Mark

View CharlesA's profile (online now)

CharlesA

#14 posted 06-25-2013 07:59 AM

Found one of these on Craigslist for $50! Took some time and effort to install on Craftsman contractors saw, but is single biggest upgrade to my woodworking. Rock solid, I can trust measurement, and easy to use. The magna-cursor does take some testing used to.