Powermatic 1300 Dust Collector

Review by Scott Bryan posted 1906 days ago 7534 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powermatic 1300 Dust Collector Powermatic 1300 Dust Collector No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Introduction

For years I have use a Delta AP300 3/4 HP dust collector

as my tool of choice for collecting dust. I largely bought this collector based solely on price. At times it has surprised me with its efficiency but it did little about controlling the fine dust created by the table saw and sanding operations. Plus it has a very limited capacity. With an idea towards controlling the fine dust I recently received a Powermatic 1300. The dust collector and air cleaner were received within 6 days of placing the order and arrived well packaged and there was no damage either evident or concealed.

Cost of shipping was $79.00 from CPO Powermatic This included lift gate to my residence and the driver used a pallet jack to drop the pallet in my shop.

Assembly

The instructions were clear and straight forward and I experience no real problems at all with the assembly. There was some difficulty with paint on the threads of the base interfering with the bolts but it was quickly resolved. And some of the bolts could only be accessed with a wrench due to interference from the body of the dust collector. Assembly took me about 3 hours to complete and there were no parts left over!! :)
Accessories included with the unit were: a remote control that includes a timer, 3 boxes of collection bags (for a total of 15 bags) which hold 10 cubic feet of material and did not include any collection hose.

Performance

The collector is powered by a 1 3/4 HP motor and is rated at 98 percent efficient for 2 micron particles and 85 percent for 1 micron particles. The canister style, which I selected, enables the dust accumulating in the filter to be dislodged into the clear collection bags, which will result in a longer life for the canister filter.
The collector came wired for 120 volts and pulls 15 amps. The unit has performed well for all materials, plywood, mdf, and cherry, maple and pine that I have run through the table saw. Even mdf had very little dust escape and the that was only through the blade guard.

Overall I would rate this as an excellent dust collector that should go a long way towards improving the ambient air quality in my shop and controlling particles under 10 microns that are cause for health concerns.

Thanks for looking and all comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

112000 posts in 2179 days

#1 posted 1906 days ago

congrats on your new dust collector

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#2 posted 1906 days ago

Just from looking at it, there are a couple things I like that set it apart from most DC’s in this size range. The steel outlet going to the filter is nice, and the remote, plus it’s a Powermatic.

#3 posted 1906 days ago

Thanks, Woodchuck. I appreciate the comment.

Pat, I thought that we were supposed to be doing our part in stimulating the economy. :) I just have not added anything to the shop for awhile and felt I needed to begin putting in some upgraded tools.

#4 posted 1906 days ago

Looks great Scott, congrats on another fine addition to your shop. Looks like me and you are in the same boat…start of with one new upgrade, and the next thing you know, your looking around for things to replace/upgrade lol. Congrats again !!!

#5 posted 1906 days ago

Looks like someone won the lottery. First a new Sawstop and now a DC.

Hmmm, what’s next? A nice big lathe perhaps?

Great new adition to your shop. Be aware that you want to empty your bag often. I noticed on mine that if I let
mine get too full I lost a lot of suction. I also have a separator up stream from mine that get a lot of the larger things.

You can see one here.

If you have the room, they work great.

#6 posted 1906 days ago

Gary,
Do those work pretty good ? I have a 1 1/2 horse delta D/C and was wondering if it had enough power to use on it.

Thanks

#7 posted 1906 days ago

Don – Sure it would. The HP isn’t that important.

I have been using one for years. I bought the plastic top and then got a metal trashcan to fit it.

It also works great if you suck up something heavy that you didn’t mean to. A lot easier to find and keep it out of the impeller in your DC.

You can see it here. Look in the comments: http://lumberjocks.com/GaryK/blog/4349

#8 posted 1906 days ago

Thanks Gary !!!! I will give one a try.

#9 posted 1905 days ago

Gary, I have been looking at one of these. They are fairly inexpensive. What surprised me was the challenge to find a metal trash can. Wal-Mart and Lowes do not stock them. I found one supplier, a local lumberyard, that does carry metal trash cans. So I will be looking at adding this to my dc system. But I will have to ask my wife for an advance on my allowance. :)

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1963 days

#10 posted 1905 days ago

I like the short run, trash can and separator idea…...good one.
What’s the name of your Bank Scott..??

#11 posted 1905 days ago

Scott – That’s interesting. My local Lowes has metal trash cans. Maybe it’s a regional thing.

I know the Lowes here in Texas has lots of lawn tractors, but in California you don’t see any at all.

I have a 2HP DC and my longest run to my planer and jointer are about 60 feet away and it seems to work fine.

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2064 days

#12 posted 1905 days ago

Ahhhhhhhhh…....It was the lottery!!

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#13 posted 1905 days ago

Nice upgrade Scott, I have a Jet just like that one and it does a great job.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View hairy's profile

hairy

1988 posts in 2134 days

#14 posted 1904 days ago

You will love it! I had a problem with the remote. I put new batteries in, and it still would not work, even if I was 1 foot away. I called WMH customer service, and they ordered a new remote for me. They said it was backordered,and would be at least 6 weeks. It’s been six weeks,still no remote. The good news, the remote I have started working again.

-- the last of Barret's Privateers...

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1956 days

#15 posted 1904 days ago

damn that looks nice anything that powermatic puts out is really cool

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/