Smaller Shop Drum Sander

Review by GersCustomWoodworks posted 02-22-2016 05:00 AM 3202 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Smaller Shop Drum Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this as a time saver for me when sanding production parts. It works great for a smaller drum sander. Only two reasons I can’t give it five stars.
The stand is way to short. But easy fix is just to add riser blocks between the stand and sander. The second is I really wish that they had made this sander big enough to open up to 3 1/2 inches to sand post sides. It only opens to about 3”.

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#1 posted 02-22-2016 02:09 PM

My biggest compliant is the difficulty when changing the sandpaper & trying to get in the clamps!

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

#2 posted 02-22-2016 02:17 PM

Are you trimming the points back? I’ve noticed that even if I don’t have them trimmed back all the way it is hard to get them to go where they need to. Even by an 1/8” made a difference.

View Scott C.'s profile

Scott C.

158 posts in 1956 days

#3 posted 02-23-2016 01:13 AM

how high of a grit are you using when sanding production parts? any burning? I’ve been contemplating this sander for a while since its really the only lower priced option out there.

-- measure twice, cut once, swear and start over.

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#4 posted 02-23-2016 02:15 AM

Jeff – yes I do trim the points back. I kept the original so I had a template. Biggest problem is getting the back end put in… it is very difficult for me the get at the “lever” & get the pin in too.

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

#5 posted 02-23-2016 02:40 AM

I should have put that in there. I do normally only run pine though for production and I run 80 grit. (Im doing mostly rustic stuff) I did run surfaced cherry through on 80 with no issues. But not having paper for the drum I couldn’t take it down any further. I think the key is not trying to take to much at a time, and keeping the paper clean.

#6 posted 02-23-2016 02:53 AM

When you kept the original paper was it wider then your replacment. I noticed that right away. The original paper was wider then even the manual says to use. 3” if I remember right. Not sure what that’s about. But I had to account for that when using as a pattern the first time. I don’t have any trouble with just the clamp and pin though.

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

#7 posted 02-23-2016 01:35 PM

You are right about keeping the paper clean. Softwoods will load up the drum and create burns in your work. When you work with hardwoods you can go longer between cleanings.. The finer the grit, the worse the build up of dust and pitch.

View Scott C.'s profile

Scott C.

158 posts in 1956 days

#8 posted 02-23-2016 11:09 PM

Have you tried it without the support arm on the side opposite to the motor, or if not, does it seem sturdy enough to run open ended? I know that when harbor freight originally sold this model it was a 10/20 machine and the support arm was added later.

-- measure twice, cut once, swear and start over.

#9 posted 02-23-2016 11:37 PM

I haven’t tried it. I’ve read good and bad results from it though. I have seen slight movement when forgetting to tighten the knob on the support. I would say results would depend on the wood and how much material was trying to be removed.

View Jake965's profile

Jake965

#10 posted 05-16-2017 07:05 AM

documents could not be run on IOS. There is nothing You TV Player programs as well as movies.It is one of the fastest downloaders.