Good drill, very affordable, typical poor quality control

Review by tmiller posted 05-09-2009 08:16 AM 2662 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good drill, very affordable, typical poor quality control No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

OK here are most of the features of this drill:
-Smooth-running ball-bearing motor is designed for a long service life
-Variable speed: 0-3000 RPM
-Chuck capacity: 3/64’’ to 3/8’‘
-Belt clip
-Overall dimensions: 9-1/2’’ L x 2-1/2’’ W x 7’’ H
-Weight: 3.3 lbs.

The Pro’s: Whats bolded above and the price. These are going for $12.99 online and I believe they are $14.99 in store. For that price they are easy to keep around and kick around. I use one to countersink or drill a pilot hole and the other to sink the screw. Two drills for half the price of one.

The Con’s: I own 2 of these and bought them at separate occasions. When I bought the second one I had to return it twice. The first time for an off balance shaft and second for a chuck that was stuck all the way open. Before I left the store the 3rd time I opened the box and plugged it in; it was fine. The first one was fine but the second caused frustration. So it is hit and miss. I docked a star for this reason. I will say that when returned they simply had me pull another one off the shelf and it was done. I think it is worth docking another star or power (3.1 amps). While not gutless at all, it is just not that powerful as a name brand. It has no problem drilling a 1/2” hole or using 1” spade bits but it bogs when driving a 3” screw.

Overall it is hard to beat because of the price. If you just need an extra drill around for cheap go for it. They run good, chuck claps down well around bits, fair amount of power, and a few small features that make it likable. On the other hand, you might want to check before you leave the parking lot (if not the store) to make sure it is in working order. Perhaps buying online is a bad idea.

-- tmwsigns.com

View tmiller's profile

tmiller

103 posts in 2065 days

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#1 posted 05-09-2009 03:45 PM

i think for less frustration and about the same price, you might be able to get a good used drill. i understand your thoughts on price, but I’m just throwing another idea out there.

View tmiller's profile

tmiller

103 posts in 2065 days

#2 posted 05-09-2009 05:20 PM

I completely agree with you about buying used. I shop craigslist all the time. Used does have its unknowns too but drills are pretty reliable. I am not sold on these for any thing other than a cheap adequate drill. I would readily advise something better if you can swing it. A decent introductory used drill will still cost you $20-30 (twice as much) and a new one will run you $40-60 (4-5x the price). I think 3 stars if fair, maybe generous.

-- tmwsigns.com

#3 posted 05-09-2009 06:20 PM

Isn’t it amazing that they’re still making a profit when they sell it for $12.99 ? I have to admit that I do shop there for some basic supplies . For instance , I got a locking holddown clamp(visegrip style) for my drill press for $8 last week and a free 6 pc. set of screwdrivers just for giving them my email address….I think it was mine that I gave to them …hahaha….and I’ve also had good luck with their Toggle clamps . My next purchase will be a router inlay set ($10) , but it might even be cheaper next week :)...no rush on my end. The router bit looks cheap , but the Brass parts look fine and it comes with a centering pin as well.

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#4 posted 05-09-2009 06:35 PM

Yeah, Harbor Frieght just screams quality. LOL

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#5 posted 05-09-2009 08:36 PM

i like the multiple drill idea. i always hear about it for routers, but I’m always swapping drill bits for driver bits when predrilling for screws.

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2056 days

#6 posted 05-11-2009 12:40 AM

Yeah, I love Harbor Freight. I have learned (and I imagine most guys do) that you have to watch what you purchase there. As stated they have a great return policy and I have picked up a few gems very cheap and some junk. I like their $25.00 18guage nailer so much I traded my Porter Cable to one of my son’s for some work and I got my HF nailer on sale for $12.00! I returned it once for a free replacement when the loading mechanism failed and have been using the new one now for about 4 years with no issues whatsoever.

That drill looks pretty handy, weird that it isn’t powerful enough to drive a 3 screw. I don’t know if I would purchase one to replace the Milwaukee or Craftsman drills that I currently own or not if one of them failed. But I did enjoy reading the review you have written.

#7 posted 05-11-2009 07:53 AM

it’s better than no drill

View MauBow's profile

MauBow

#8 posted 05-14-2009 05:48 PM

I just bought one a few weeks ago for sanding on the lathe on sale for $10. It works great for what I use it for. It did start to smoke recently when I was using a dull 2” bit putting in a sump pump pipe thru the sill to the outside. I blew it out with air and it’s worked fine since then. I figure for $10 you can’t go wrong.

-- If it wasn't for misplacing things, my shop would never get cleaned up.