Woodworking Essentials

Review by obiwanlawrence posted 02-20-2016 07:16 PM 2332 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodworking Essentials No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A while back, I attended Lonnie Bird’s Woodworking Essentials Course – I would have to give it a 5 star rating. What a wonderful week! I met some great woodworkers and classmates, shared woodworking stories, and received very professional instruction from Lonnie himself, one of the Master Woodworker’s of our time. We would arrive each day and at our individual workstations, we would find all of the raw materials that would be used during the day. These raw materials were always first rate. I really enjoyed the learning format – he would assign a task for the day, give a thorough discussion of the task (including a lot of background information), and talk about the tools and techniques that we would be using. He would talk about the common mistakes that may be made and would highlight any safety issues that may accompany the task. Throughout the day, he would monitor each students progress and would interrupt the class to discuss a problem and/or bring attention to a students excellent work. Lonnie’s clean and neat facilities provided an excellent working/learning environment. One thing that was especially noteworthy for me, was how to sharpen my Chisels and Plane Blades. That demonstration/instruction was alone worth the tuition. After graduating, I have (on occasion) called Lonnie to discuss a particular problem and get his advice – he has always taken the time to give good advice and talk to me as a fellow woodworker. At some point in the not too distant future, I will attend another of Lonnie’s excellent classes.

View obiwanlawrence's profile

obiwanlawrence

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

32083 posts in 3008 days

#1 posted 02-20-2016 08:42 PM

It sounds like a great experience. Congratulations and welcome to Lumberjocks.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Woodtodust's profile

Woodtodust

57 posts in 1979 days

#3 posted 02-21-2016 03:21 PM

I’ve attended two classes with Lonnie Bird and will attend more. Each class has provided me with a new set of skills and confidence to tackle more complex projects. He has mastered not only woodworking but, has also mastered the ability to share his knowledge.

Congratulations on your first LB class. Maybe I’ll see you at your next one.

-- Bill...Richmond Hill, GA--"83% of all statistics are made up."