Review of the Sawstop Professional Cabinet Saw

Review by Scott Bryan posted 05-07-2009 04:17 AM 18300 views 1 time favorited 79 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of the Sawstop Professional Cabinet Saw Review of the Sawstop Professional Cabinet Saw Review of the Sawstop Professional Cabinet Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Intro:

Sawstop Professional Cabinet Saw

The saw is a 3hp, 585 pound monster. I purchased the 52” fence, hydraulic mobile base and extension table. Setting it up is definately a two person job (although I did it alone with help from my wife only in setting up the front rail). I did get help in lifting it onto the mobile base, however, as this is the only way to mount it to the base. The instructions call for help in setting the saw upright since the base cabinet weighs 200+ pounds. I was able to do it alone but only after dancing with the saw across the shop and bruising both shins. I would not recommend this at all.

The saw arrived on a pallet split between 5 boxes. It was securely packaged and there was no visible damage:

Installation took 4 to 5 hours to complete. The instructions were dead on accurate and easy to follow. The parts were stored in individual packets for each operation and were both numbered and color-coded. The adjustments to the saw took another 4+ hours. Being a glutton for punishment I went through all of them even if it did not appear to need it just to familiarize myself with the saw’s operation. Out of the box the fence was within 0.010” of being parallel with the blade. This was easily adjusted to less than 0.001”. The blade bevel was 0.003” out of parallel with the table out of the box and, again, adjusted to less than 0.001”. I chose not to use the stock miter gauge as I already owned an Incra 1000SE. The ruler was dead on on the left side and out 1/32nd on the right, which was easily correctable.

Performance wise, since I am coming off using a Craftsman contractor table saw, there is no way to compare the two since they are in completely different worlds. Here is a picture of the saw easily passing the nickel test with the dust collector running:

I have cut 3/4 plywood, 4/4 hardwood and 8/4 maple on the saw and have yet to bog it down. I estimate that I can feed plywood at over 30 feet per minute without even testing the saw.

The only downside to the saw that I found was in the dust collector port. The port is 3 13/16” in diameter and my hose is 4” so it only fits with the help of duct tape. I contacted Sawstop and they are aware of this issue and will be sending a new port that is the correct diameter later on along with an overhead dust-collection blade guard.

I had to use technical service for only a couple of very minor issues and they responded promptly and resolved my issues promptly.

The saw ran a little over 3K total, including taxes. After using the saw for a couple of weeks now would I buy it again- without a doubt!!

#1 posted 05-07-2009 04:26 AM

Saw envy by most of use without the SAW Stop, Great review.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#2 posted 05-07-2009 04:27 AM

Wow, that saw looks fantastic! I was disappointed you didn’t do the hot dog test on it;)

Thanks for the review. I’m not in the market for a new saw (yet) but your review really gets me drooling for a new one!

Thanks!
T.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#3 posted 05-07-2009 04:28 AM

Very Nice Grats on the new kiddo!

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View FlWoodRat's profile

FlWoodRat

#4 posted 05-07-2009 04:40 AM

Scott, nice new tool and happy looking shop assistant. Enjoy using it pal.

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning....

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 2014 days

#5 posted 05-07-2009 04:43 AM

VERY nice saw…..like Jim said, EVERYONE will be a bit jealous over this one…congrats big time. Nothing like a new tool in the shop…but a “Life time tool”???? No feeling like it at all.

-- Don S.E. OK

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2152 days

#6 posted 05-07-2009 05:43 AM

Informative review and an incredible saw. Congrats, hope you never need the stop feature but you gotta love having it. Enjoy, especially the shop help.
BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#7 posted 05-07-2009 06:09 AM

OMG I bow to the greatness that is Sawstop. I’ve heard that you run a risk of triping the brake if you cut green wood. I dunno. You’ve heard of a mullet haircut – business in the front, party in the back. Well I think you have a shop mullet – Powermatic in the back, Sawstop in the front. Oh well, it sounded better when I was typing it.

View mrsawdust's profile

mrsawdust

#8 posted 05-07-2009 06:10 AM

Scott,
it sure is pretty. good luck with it….
mike

-- mrsawdust, pittsburgh,pa.

View TraumaJacques's profile

TraumaJacques

#9 posted 05-07-2009 08:02 AM

Now you are ready to cut hot dogs. All kidding aside I saw this model at a woodshow this winter and fell in love. However my current shop does not allow me to own a saw with such a footprint.
David: the green wood thing can be managed by placing the saw in “bypass mode”but keep your fingers away from the blade. The wood really has to be wet or green to actually trip the conduction. Pressure treated lumber can be problematic too.
I also learned at the wood show that they are working on developing the system for other tool like jointer and chop saws. Sure whish I had a bigger shop.

-- All bleeding will eventually stop.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#10 posted 05-07-2009 08:50 AM

Wow! You have the coolest and the most friendly mosnter in your shop.
Congratulations!

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Dave Haynes's profile

Dave Haynes

200 posts in 2041 days

#11 posted 05-07-2009 01:54 PM

My tongue’s hanging out! Lucky Dog. That is an awesome saw. Looks like you’re going to have more fun with less problems than pre-SawStop days.

Dave

-- Dave Haynes, Indiana, http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com

View lew's profile

lew

#12 posted 05-07-2009 03:51 PM

Have you considered moving to a safer neighborhood? Armed guard INSIDE the shop!

Congrats on your new acquisition!!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#13 posted 05-07-2009 04:12 PM

Hi Scott

Thats almost too pretty to use. Happy for you. Enjoy your new toy.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#14 posted 05-07-2009 04:22 PM

did the security guard come with the pallet? nice customer service!

congrats on the new saw. is this the industrial (original) model? or their latest professional model?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Splinterman's profile