Hard to beat

Review by momalle3 posted 02-19-2016 01:52 AM 3230 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hard to beat No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this for hobby shop work, mostly musical instrument making. it replaces the use of sanding spindles in a drill press. So keep in mind it is a HUGE improvement over that.

I don’t have experience with other spindle sanders to compare it to

This model is sold under various band names—Shop Fox, WEN, etc. I bought it at the local Woodcraft store. I had been looking at the Rigid oscillating edge sander, but there were just too many bad reviews of that thing and also I didn’t trust the folding table. I bought this instead, although it has significantly different functionality, because I already have a belt/disk sander.

I’m very impressed with it for the most part. It comes with a variety of different sized spindles, each of which stores neatly in the base: it also come with a set of plastic ring, one for each spindle. In practice it sands smooth and well, and the most important thing, the dust collection has been superb with my Rigid shop vac—I’ve seen virtually no dust with smaller parts, really impressive.

Some negatives: The dust port is smaller than standard—luckily I had an adaptor that lets me use my shop vac hose. The plastic inset rings are lower that the table, so they sit below the table, which means smaller parts might be out of square. It’s not a problem with parts that span the inset, but I might look for a way to shim it up.

It was totally worth it just to be able to sand without producing massive amounts of dus. Impressed so far

-- Dreading the midas touch of expertise

View momalle3's profile

momalle3

#1 posted 02-19-2016 04:10 AM

These are very useful for so many things, you will enjoy the upgrade

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#2 posted 02-19-2016 03:42 PM

For leveling the ring look at here

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#3 posted 02-19-2016 10:20 PM

I have the same sander, though the harbor freight branded one. And it is a monster… sands everything I could think of without trouble. Wood, steel, brass, all sand just fine. I bought replacement drums from supergrit recently and they work even better than the originals. I’d recommend it to anyone. I do have the same trouble with the slightly-too-thin rings… I’ll have to watch Dutchy’s video.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#4 posted 02-20-2016 01:01 AM

Shim those rings with a little blue painter’s tape.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View cebfish's profile

cebfish

#5 posted 02-20-2016 03:28 AM

I have the HF one also got new drums from Klingspor . One of the most handy tool i ever bought. use it all the time

View momalle3's profile

momalle3

#6 posted 02-20-2016 04:26 PM

Thank you for the tips. I will try leveling the ring. The shop vac does tend to suck the part down to the table, but I find that useful—it steadies the part a little. Amazed how little dust I end up with.

The spindles seem to clog up a little—I’m going to look for extras/repalcements

-- Dreading the midas touch of expertise

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#7 posted 02-20-2016 10:23 PM

Get one of those big latex “erasers” at HF or ??? to keep those sanding sleeves clean.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#8 posted 02-21-2016 12:50 PM

This is the old style that HF used to sell. It is far superior to the round one they now sell. I believe this unit is also sold by Triton, Shop Fox and Grizzly, all about the same price. There are very minor differences, but I’d bet they are all made in the same factory.

I own two of the old style HF units, now over five years old, still chugging along just fine. Same exact issues, wrong size exhaust pipe, plastic insert rides a bit low. Noisy.

I also own a Rigid belt/spindle unit, on my second one after the first started showing a bit of wear at the 12 year mark. The table on the Rigid stays put, and the dust collection is almost second to none. I keep a belt on that, and the two units I have like the one above do all the spindle work.
Good machine.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View GersCustomWoodworks's profile

GersCustomWoodworks

#9 posted 02-22-2016 04:23 AM

I have looked into almost all the sanders in this price range. I found that while they do seem to be the same sanders with different brand names. The motors vary in them, along with the reviews. I also caught the Performax brand at Menards on sale for under a hundred bucks. From the research I had done it also has the best motor in it. Obviously in the under $200 price range.
As stated above, if you own any power sander get an eraser. Well worth the investment.

-- Jeff, Missouri, http://www.facebook.com/gerscustomwoodworks

View Clarkson's profile

Clarkson

#10 posted 04-07-2017 05:00 AM

The Seal-a-Meal product vacuumsealers235 packaging material is solid and durable vacuumsealers5 and is created to avoid fridge freezer burn. vacuumsealers934 If you feel like banging just vacuumsealers23 what you’re storing in the microwave for a fast defrost, vacuumsealers636 you can the product packaging.