This stuff really works!

Review by tmiller posted 1910 days ago 1712 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This stuff really works! This stuff really works! This stuff really works! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Many of you probably have used this stuff before but it is new to me. I mean I have seen it around for years but never thought much of it till I picked up the Ridgid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander (pictured above). I have noticed a number of lumberjocks with this machine.

You can pick this up from many different manufactures and at many different outlets but I happened to get mine at Harbor Freight for $4.99. That seemed like a reasonable gamble not knowing how well this type of product worked; I am pleasantly surprised. The manufacturer states that this will “make your discs and belts last 5X longer!” and that “it removes the accumulated particles that lodge between the abrasive grains and cause a dull cut.” After using this on my belt sander I could see noticeable faster and more aggressive sanding. It seems like this cleaning brick will last a long time because it wears slowly and it is pretty big; 8-1/2’’ x 1-1/2’’ x 1-1/2’’ (think 2×4 thickness). I only unwrapped mine brick a little at one end and use the rest of the plastic wrapper to keep it dust free.

On the down side it didn’t clean an area of the belt that had sap residue ‘burned’ on. So, I recommend you use this cleaner frequently to avoid allowing sap to coat.

If this product can extend just one belt 2-3 times as long it will have paid for itself. I would recommend this product to a friend.

-- tmwsigns.com

View tmiller's profile

tmiller

103 posts in 1916 days

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1929 days

#1 posted 1910 days ago

Nice review, thanks for sharing.

-- Don S.E. OK

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

4969 posts in 2051 days

#2 posted 1910 days ago

good information..I have looked at these before and thought. ” that doesn’t work”....good to know….thanks for the review

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#3 posted 1910 days ago

These are great. I’ve used them for years. Sure beats using your old tennis shoes to clean your sanders.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2097 posts in 2331 days

#4 posted 1910 days ago

Glad it worked for you. the sears near my house has them a bit cheaper, but what’s a dollar in the grand scheme of things. This will probably last you quite a while.

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

#5 posted 1910 days ago

Yep… I use this stuff as well on my belt, drum and disc sanders and it works very well however, it is only effective to a grit of about 150 or so after which the gum particulates appear to be too large to reach between the grit to remove finer dirt. So, although it’s not perfect, I’ve found it to be well worth the small investment.

-- JMP

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#6 posted 1910 days ago

Good stuff. I use it on the belt sander each time after use.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View childress's profile

childress

#7 posted 1910 days ago

I agree. Great product and I’ve found another use also! When working with laminate (ie. Formica and such) it works great for removing the gummy cement after trim routing. Instead of sanding the cement off, which is what I used to do, run this stick over the edge and it strips it off easily. Even on edge banding too!

-- Childress Woodworks

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#8 posted 1910 days ago

Yep, these really extend the life of your sanding belts and discs.

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View  Box 's profile

Box

4937 posts in 1911 days

#9 posted 1910 days ago

I am glad I read your review. I bought the same sander from Home a few months ago and really like it. I bought the same abrasive cleaner from Harbor Freight about 2 or 3 weeks ago and have yet to use it. Your review motivates me to srart using it.

112001 posts in 2180 days

#10 posted 1910 days ago

I use mine to erase the mistakes on my drawings and cleaning my sanding belts

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2067 days

#11 posted 1910 days ago

i dunno… is that HF sanding belt cleaner one that you would want to hand down to your grandkids?

just kidding…. thanks for the review. i was wondering how this compares to the other brands as well.

View Jeremy's profile

Jeremy

74 posts in 1933 days

#12 posted 1910 days ago

Great product! I too was amazed the very first time I used it!

-- Jeremy, Rochester, NY

View tmiller's profile

tmiller

103 posts in 1916 days

#13 posted 1910 days ago

If it is still around when my grandkids come along, its theirs.

I can’t inagine much improvement, its already pretty cheap and it does its job.

Some guy did indicate you could use and old shoe sole. If that works it would be free. :)

-- tmwsigns.com

View daltxguy's profile

daltxguy

#14 posted 1908 days ago

I use the old shoe sole – it’s the same stuff ( just make sure you use the right shoe!) Just look for a sole which is the same color as this stuff. A natural gum rubber crepe sole I think it’s called. t didn’t used to be $4.99, so using an old shoe was better value – maybe not anymore.

-- If you can't joint it, bead it!

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#15 posted 1908 days ago

We use them 3-4 times a day at the school shop. Most of the kids just enjoy playing with it. One stick almost lasted a year. So I would concur that the stick will last a while. I bought ours at Rockler. I am going to be by HF tomorrow, I think I will pickup one or 2 more to be ready for this summer. Thanks for the review.