Works well after you work out the kinks

Review by cmaeda posted 1912 days ago 2963 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Works well after you work out the kinks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this so I can make my own vises. I also bought some 1 1/4” dowels to go along with it. This does require some practice to use. The instructions are very sparse and the construction was kind of cheap. The guide that is screwed onto the threader was installed incorrectly so it was difficult to remove. The threader had some scratches and small gouges on it. The tap was fine.
I tried it right out of the box. I followed the instruction, soaked the dowel in some BLO and then started using the threader. I was a little disappointed. I got a lot of tearout. So after fidgeting around, I found out that the big knob holds the v cutter and the 2 small screws hold the guide. I disassembled it, took out the v cutter and sharpened it with my spyderco ceramic stones. I assembled it again and tried again.
A lot better this time with some slight tearout. So I backed the cutter up and tried it again. I got slight tear out. I turned the threader the other way and took the threader out. I advanced the cutter slightly and tried again. Perfect!
So I figured out that I have to essentially cut the threads twice to get smooth threads.
I wish it had better instructions… I wasted a few hours to figure this out but now it works well.
The tap works as advertised. It is pretty simple to us.

View cmaeda's profile

cmaeda

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

#1 posted 1912 days ago

A few months ago I was looking at this set after seeing NOHO91 on YouTube (_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK-CVstNox8_) making a wooden bolt with a homemade tool. I tried his method but after many attempts had virtually no success. Obviously he’s just better than me. So, I began looking around for a screwbox and found this one but since all the reviews were virtually negative I decided to drop the whole idea. I figured there must be a “method” but wasn’t inspired enough to continue to pursue it.
Now with a little more insight, I may try again. Thanks for the review.

Cheers
Joe

-- JMP

112001 posts in 2180 days

#2 posted 1912 days ago

Good review Thats thinking and hanging in there

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#3 posted 1911 days ago

Thanks for the review. I’ve been wonderiing how good those work.

View cmaeda's profile

cmaeda

#4 posted 1911 days ago

Rockler also sells a screw box that basically uses a router to cut the threads. That should be ok too. I just like hand tools better, which is why I opted to get this one.
It did take 2 or 3 hours of tinkering to finally get clean, smooth threads.
The cutter was sharp but not really sharp if you know what I mean. That was what caused the most tearout on the threads.