Sealing Collection & Filter Bags to Dust Collectors

Review by Kelly posted 02-15-2016 02:54 AM 3662 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sealing Collection & Filter Bags to Dust Collectors Sealing Collection & Filter Bags to Dust Collectors No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this to wrap the area of my dust collection system where the plastic and filter bags mount to the collector. Before, I was getting small dust trails. After installation, I am not finding such trails.

Obviously, I am getting a better seal with the foam than I was when just clamping the [four] bags directly to the metal of the collector. I had upgraded to one micron bags and they fit pretty well, but now they fit even better. In short, in a warm shop and clamped in place, or with pressure on the foam, the product works very well.

This was sold for mounting campers (I’d put it on the bottom of the camper, rather than the pickup) to pickup beds. It’s wider than standard foam door gaskets, so it was perfect for this “off label” function.

This measures 3/16” thick by 1-1/4” wide.

I cannot say how cold affects the tape, because my shop is heated and in that environment I am, as noted, very happy with the product and will be buying more for my other collectors and cyclones.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 02-15-2016 12:09 PM

Thanks! I think I will be looking into that to stop the dust trails that I keep getting out of the edges of my sand blasting cabinet window, despite it being foam sealed under the window frame. I’ll put it around the edges.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Randy_ATX's profile

Randy_ATX

#2 posted 02-16-2016 05:56 PM

Thanks. I have the same problem with my modified harbor freight dust collector. I’ve applied some thin weather stripping I already had, but there are still some leaks. I’ll upgrade to something like you have posted.

-- Randy -- Austin, TX by way of Northwest (Woodville), OH

#3 posted 02-16-2016 06:47 PM

I should have mentioned it goes for only about six bucks a role, even on Amazon Prime.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#4 posted 02-17-2016 03:12 AM

Hey that’s a great tip, and because you were so kind as to share, here is another one for the same roll of tape:

The lid on the cross bed tool box on the pick up will rattle, leak, suck dust and be a PITA … But wait, you just bought a roll of camper tape … Place the tape on the top of the lid on the inner side to create a better seal and quiet the noise.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

#5 posted 02-17-2016 03:14 AM

Good plan, Grumpy guy. Thanks.

View Pete504's profile

Pete504

#6 posted 02-22-2016 02:44 PM

I also used this product to improve the seal of the collection bags to the housing on my PM1900. Works great!
I went further and applied clear sealant to all the mating metal parts of the collector.
To determine that filtration was significantly improved I ran the drums sander and the nearby air cleaner and had very little fine dust on the filter of the air cleaner. Prior to sealing the collection bags with Camper Seal the air cleaner filter was thick with dust after using the drum sander.