A Woodworkers Encyclopedia for a penny?

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 1909 days ago 2435 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Woodworkers Encyclopedia for a penny? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Author: Nick Engler. I’ll bet a lot of seasoned LJ’s already know about this book but many others won’t so here goes.

So, you’re relatively new to woodworking and you want to know which of the seven types of chisels and firmer gouges you have. In this book you can see a picture of each, and explanation of what each is and how it’s used and sure enough a picture of yours. You’ve got paring chisels, the type to be pushed with your hands not a mallet.
Or, you’re not new to woodworking but you don’t build a 12 sided table everyday. You find out on page 70 how to calculate the exact miter angle to cut each piece.

I asked a question about resawing last week. Someone recommended this book. I ordered it and got it asap from Amazon. Wow, is there a lot of information here.

Woodworking design and construction: 8 chapters in this section
Woodworking tools: 9 chapters
Woodworking techniques: 14 chapters
Woodworking and materials: 5 chapters

This book is like an encyclopedia but each chapter is intertwined. For example, the section on types of joints: Pictures and explanations of all 36 kinds. Thirty Six, who would have thought of that many. Not only that but when to use each one and even what types of wood and what grain direction will give you the strongest joint for each type. Then it shows each type of joint applied in a specific type of furniture as it moves on to how to make chests, cabinets, beds and so forth.

I’m opening it up randomly. I see color photos of five different types of finishes; tung oil, shellac, lacquer, poly, water-base varnish on 56 different types of wood. Of course in this section everything about each type of finish, when it’s used, filling, sanding, moisture effects and much more are included.

Explaining an encyclopedia isn’t easy so I’ll stop here. Suffice to say that I’m sure I’ll refer to this book over and over again. If I have a question I’m sure it will be there. I’m not that knowledgeable about woodworking. This will be like having someone to call if need be. Of course I always have LJ’s too. The book is large, hardcover, and is 392 pages and profusely illustrated.

Woodworking wisdom is available on Amazon for about 1 cent as of this writing. Full price is $26 but if purchased used it can be much less. I opted for the $2.64 one as it was advertised as ‘used hardcover but like new’. And sure enough it was. Total with shipping was about $6.

Here's the Amazon link for this book as of this writing

View ZachM's profile

ZachM

#1 posted 1909 days ago

looks like all the cheap ones are gone now.

#2 posted 1909 days ago

Still a lot of them for $5-$6 and paperbacks for much less.

View Kindlingmaker's profile

Kindlingmaker

#3 posted 1909 days ago

Thanks, I just ordered one just under $7. Can’t have too many books, videos, dvd’s or LJ’s good advice!

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

#4 posted 1909 days ago

i read your review about 20 minute ago, immediately clicked on the link and bought what appears to be the last $0.01 book. oh no you didn’t. yes, i believe i did. there was a $0.01 used book offered by frugalmedia01. when i finished the purchase, i clicked back to LJs and read the first post that said all the cheap one are gone. goes to show the power of a good review format and the internet.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#5 posted 1909 days ago

I just bought one for $4. plus $3.99 shipping

-- Smitty!!!

View Emeralds's profile

Emeralds

#6 posted 1909 days ago

Thanks Daniel. I just picked up a “like new” copy from your link. I’ve read a couple of Engler’s “Better Woodworking” from a series of his books in our Public Library and they’re all well done. Since this is not one of the ones they have, I’ll read it, digest it and donate it to Library, which for me has always been a major asset.

Joe

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1922 days

#8 posted 1909 days ago

Ditto, Thanks Daniel, I also saw your link, looked it up and bought one of their “Like new” ones for $5.99. I am always looking for new ideas and new ways to make joints. For $5.99 for the book, and $3.99 for shipping, you can’t go wrong. Thanks again.

-- Don S.E. OK

#9 posted 1909 days ago

You’re welcome everyone. Enjoy the book. Lots of reference info. A definite keeper.

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

#10 posted 1909 days ago

Thanx for the info, I will have to look for a copy myself.

-- Steve-o

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

#11 posted 1908 days ago

Many years ago Nick wrote a series of books. I was working on a wooden train whistle that just wouldn’t whistle.
So I looked up Nick’s home number and gave him a call. Interrupted his lunch.
But he took the time to talk me through the problem I was having.
Can’s say enough good things about Nick Engler.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1922 days

#12 posted 1904 days ago

Just walked in the door and mine was laying on the front porch. Four days (really three since I ordered this late at night) not bad delivery service. Now I have some new bathroom/office reading material.

-- Don S.E. OK

#13 posted 1904 days ago

Mine arrived today also, I think the last $0.01 book on Amazon (cough, gloat, cough). Hardback at that. Great shipping time. I expected a couple of weeks. This book is a wonderful surprise. Read through it the first two hours after I got home from work. So much information, so little time. I didn’t realise it is published by the handyman club of america. I was a subscriber to The Handyman for quite a while. In fact I bought 50 issues on bay from a guy in Florida. Not a bad rag.

#14 posted 1904 days ago

by the way, mine doesn’t show Nick’s face. Maybe it’s on the paperback only. I’m also pleased to see it was published in 2007.

#15 posted 1904 days ago

I think there must have been different editions. Mine is 2004 so subsequent books might have updated info. I can’t see how a lot of it could change though in that short period of time.

Yes Dave, it’s one of those books to me that you thumb through and glean info from and then use it when a question crops up later. It’s well indexed for that too I’m glad to see.