A Long Enough Cord and I can Log the World

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 10:12 PM 2091 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Long Enough Cord and I can Log the World No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a well built electric saw. That fact became evident the time I first picked it up, when I noted it weighs, probably, twice what any of my previous three electric saws weighed. It feels like and appears to be built using the same standards Makita and the other big name companies apply in the construction of their heavy duty, commercial worm drive circular saws.

Installing and removing the bar, or adjusting the chain during use, is as simple as it gets. It requires no tools. I was leery of the “no tool” approach to chain tensioning; however, it works well on my high end [barrel handle] jig saw, so, I made the plunge and spent the extra nickles. Again, I’m not disappointed.

Thus far, this saw has: 1) converted a couple cords of apple firewood into usable fire wood; 2) has reduced a couple two foot diameter walnut logs to something I can manage on my band saw; 3) has allowed me to convert two foot diameter sycamore logs into a couple hundred board feet of usable project wood; 4) given me several nice logs from the pine that thirty year old pine that blew down in the front yard; and, 5) has solved the problem of pruning large branches.

From the little I’ve given it so far, I feel confident this saw is up to many more future tasks.

The only problems I had with it were:

1) The cover over the tool free chain and bar adjustment quit holding, so I epoxied rare earth magnets to both and now it works even better (pulls itself closed when the magnets are in proximity of each other).

2) I let someone borrow it and they broke the tensioning screw, but it was quickly and easily replaced and has worked fine since I quit lending it (yea, we need reminders from time to time).

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 02-09-2016 10:32 PM

Looks very useful. Wish I had one for small milling operations. Do you need to oil it periodically?

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#2 posted 02-09-2016 10:36 PM

It has a standard oil reservoir and takes chain oil, just like a gas one.

When sitting for long periods, it’s a good idea to replace the chain oil with motor oil, so the former doesn’t harden and plug the oiling ports.

View CANDL's profile

CANDL

#3 posted 02-15-2016 12:37 PM

I have had this saw for ~2 years, and love it. It has yet to disappoint…. just let it cut, and don’t force it.

When I bought this I was looking a Stihls Husq etc, and after talking to their support shops 2-cycle engines would be a disaster … using it 2-3 times a year is NOT a good duty cycle for a 2-Cycle engine

So I have a 100 ft and 2 50 ft cords, and I always use the shortest cord available. So I have cut 20” diameter ASH with out incident.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7739 posts in 2093 days

#4 posted 02-15-2016 02:21 PM

You’ve reviewed a Bosch, yet your picture shows a Makita… ?

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

#5 posted 02-15-2016 03:28 PM

Oops, had my thought divided between this and the Bosch saber saw review when I selected the brand. It’s corrected to reflect this is about the Makita chain saw.

Heck, until you pointed this out, I didn’t even know Bosch made one. It would be interesting to see how it rates next to this one.