Fastcap pocket chisels

Review by PirateOfCatan posted 1945 days ago 2256 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Fastcap pocket chisels Fastcap pocket chisels No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought three of the four sizes and have enjoyed all of them. The four sizes are 1/4”, 1/2”, 3/4” and 1” with a sharpener in the same folding style. I had to skip on the 1” because shipping needed to be included in the budget.

They have been put through tough knots and soft woods mostly. The soft woods (pine, poplar and old weathered pressure treated) cut nice and clean. The edge was not dulled very much by the knots, no visible flattening or nicks (it did feel a tiny bit different). It was a fairly tough knot, too.

The 1/4” chisel is basically a firmer/mortising chisel. They are all made from the same blanks, so the 1/4” is just as thick as the 1” model. All of them have beveled edges but the 1/4” seems extra thick given its width.

When the handles are folded for storage they can interlock with the others which is both a blessing and a curse. I got them mainly to go in my tool belt and they are sometimes a bit hard to get out. The handles also does not completely cover the blade when folded, but they do include rubber tip guards. Since the main goals are to protect the blade and the pouch/pocket this is less of a problem in my mind. Plus I have large hands so my fingers will not fit in the gap.

The handles feel nice in use and have well designed grips. They have what I think of a thumb rest/guard which helps keep my thumb from slipping into the hammer path. I also had cause to use the chisel in a tight space with the handle in a half open position. That was definitely something you can’t do with a fixed handle chisel.

These are good solid chisels. They help up to taking out chunks of wood and were also just as capable at finer duties.

-- P.O.C.

View PirateOfCatan's profile

PirateOfCatan

57 posts in 2031 days

1 comment so far

#1 posted 1943 days ago

I’ve seen them at Woodcraft . Thanks for the review : )