Accuracy is Art

Review by Bruce posted 01-25-2008 04:14 AM 5170 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Accuracy is Art No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Greetings from West Virginia. I’m new here but I have been dying to tell someone about my new toy. I just got the Osborne EB3 Miter Gauge for Christmas and its great! I have a Grizzly G0576 left tilt table saw and the stock miter gauge was ok for rough cuts but it just was not accurate enough in my judgement. Even though I adjusted the guide bar, it still would move slightly in the slot. The angles were difficult to set and I had to look for my protractor to double and triple check my angles. Then, things got worse. This fall I was rushing around (I know, big mistake) trying to finish up two jewelry cases I was making for my daughters before the cold weather set in and my shop turned to a walk-in freezer. I can’t remember how it happened but I just remember the horror I felt as my miter gauge descended to the floor. Even though it hit the thick rubber pad between my table saw and jointer, it still bent the handle. Since then, each time I set an angle and tried to tighten the hadle, the guage would move a half to a full degree! So, I got on the internet and saw a video of Norm using the EB3. I googled Osborne and found it a little cheaper than Norm was selling it and ordered one. I can’t believe the accuracy. It has preset indents that set common angles and the guide bar has adjustable set screws that make it fit perfectly in the groove of the saw table. I think the geometic structure contributes to its accuracy and stability. Check it out and if you get a chance to use one, I’m sure you’ll agree that its a darn good miter gauge. It’s reasonably priced. Also, I figured if Norm uses it, it must be good.

-- I think of Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman when he says "Where does he get those wonderful toys" and ask WHERE DO U GUYS GET ALL THAT WONDERFUL WOOD?

View GaryK's profile

Nice review. Looks good.

View John's profile

John

#3 posted 01-26-2008 01:17 AM

bgm: thanks for the review! The video at http://www.osbornemfg.com/video.htm is very compelling too.

Osborne is selling it for $119 on their site ($126 on Norm’s) – do you mind telling us how much you paid and where?

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

#4 posted 01-26-2008 01:44 AM

I bought it on the Osborne site for $119 plus delivery, of course.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19710 posts in 2603 days

#5 posted 01-28-2008 12:19 AM

Impressive. Will it operate on the right side of the blade as well?.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#6 posted 01-28-2008 12:58 AM

Thanks for the concise review.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#7 posted 01-28-2008 05:13 AM

Sounds like a good miter gauge.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Roz's profile

Roz

#8 posted 01-30-2008 09:58 PM

I got a very similar looking gauge from Rockler for 119.00. I am not sure of the name just now. I like it. I hope mine is as accurate.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View SteveV's profile

SteveV

#9 posted 03-18-2008 08:09 PM

I just got this on-sale for $109 plus shipping at Osborne. Hope its good, the wife is going to kill me when she sees it. So far I have spent more on tools for my kitchen remodel project than on wood or kitchen stuff.

#10 posted 03-18-2008 11:43 PM

You’ll love it, I’m sure. That’s what I paid in December. Two tips…take an abrasive cleaner or rubber eraser and go over the grit on the abrasive surface before using it on your saw table. A couple of pieces of the grit came off mine and I have a couple scratches to show for it. But I do also recommend using the abrasive sheet because it keeps the work piece in place very well and without clamps. Also, I attached the other “clear” strip on the bottom of the fence. It makes sliding it on the table very smooooth. The instructions were not real clear on that. I recently used it to align the fences on my new cut-off sled that I hope to post soon. Any way…enjoy!

View SteveV's profile

SteveV

#11 posted 03-19-2008 03:48 PM

Thanks for the tips!! That’s what I love about this site. When I was looking to buy a new miter gauge I made sure I came here first to see what experience others have had. I was notified that I should receive it tomorrow! If that’s true, that will be pretty fast.

#12 posted 04-13-2008 02:12 PM

Hey, Steve: Just wondering if you had a chance to really put that EB-3 to a rigorous test. What do you think?

View mdf's profile

mdf

#13 posted 05-21-2008 01:36 AM

I have had the EB-3 for about a year and I am still very happy with it. I highly recommend it!

View Miterguy's profile

Miterguy

#14 posted 10-09-2008 03:51 AM

It’s good to read reviews like this. I’m glad you all appreciate the EB3. The triangular design is so simple and effective that it’s a wonder no one ever thought of it before. Just wanted to say thanks for your kind comments.

-- David Osborne, www.osbornemfg.com

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1971 posts in 2216 days

#15 posted 03-29-2009 03:08 AM

Picked up one a few weeks ago. Love the guage. Brought it home from the woodworking show, set it up and loved it. I ripped a strip of OSB then mitered four 45 degree pieces for 8 45 angles. Put the pieces in a square with no gaps between any edges. Held the pieces up to the sun with nothing showing between. I really look forward to using this tool. I didn’t base my entire decision on your review but it sure helped me finalize it. Thanks for the post.
BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)