A Saw For a Lifetime, Even for Proffessionals

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 09:57 PM 3336 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Saw For a Lifetime, Even for Proffessionals No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For reference, this is my third Bosch saber saw. I bought my first one over twenty years ago. Before it, I bought “high end” B &D’s and others touted as professional quality. They all died within six months of heavy use. In contrast, I sold my first Bosch to my brother seven years after I bought it, when I upgraded [to the first model not requiring a screw driver for blade changes].

My first Bosch was a barrel and was bought by mistake. I had never used one before. A friend picked it up for me, since I was hours from civilization. However, I came to like the barrel design so much, my second Bosch purchase was what might be called a ironic mistake. The same friend picked it up all those years later, but bought the D handle type that time. I tried it, but had to have a barrel again. I gifted the D handled saw to a friend headed north, to Alaska, where it yet resides, and bought this barrel version and really like its features.

Blades just press in, but hold well. Equally impressive is, they eject at the flip of a lever. Switching the angle of cut is also a breeze. Before, I had to locate and use an Allen wrench. With this version, you merely flip a lever, making for quick, almost effortless cut angle changes.

Additional to the foregoing and as others mentioned, the saw is variable speed (the barrel speed is controlled by a dial), has a chip blower, has a bearing back up for the blade for more accurate cuts, and has three orbit settings that allow you to choose smooth or fast cutting (extreme orbit allows quicker chip removal and quick cuts).

Since going to the Bosch and its bayonet blade system, which all other quality saws have copied, I have only broken about ten blades in over twenty years. Most of those were metal blades, so were being worked very hard. The quality of blades for the bayonet type saws is far and above the old jig saws blades many of us grew up with.

At the least, I use my saw once or twice a week. Sometimes I use it daily. From my experience I am wholly comfortable recommending this saw to others.

The only caveat I would offer is, as others noted: Test both the barrel and the D handle units before you buy a saw. If you have small hands or often work on vertical surfaces, a D handle unit might be better suited for your needs. If, however, you like being close to your work, the feel of precision control and are comfortable with the size of the barrel in your hands, consider this unit.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2025 posts in 2939 days

View GeneralDisorder's profile

GeneralDisorder

#1 posted 02-09-2016 10:10 PM

Got my first one in 1975. It had the slide swtches for vs and on/off. It still works but the on/off switch is faulty but out of production. Have purchased two since then. Im about to retire so not likely ill ever purchase another.

Never had the barrel grip but used one and liked it too.

View Dabcan's profile

Dabcan

#2 posted 02-10-2016 02:13 AM

I have the non-barrel version and I have to say that before I bought it, I always thought jigsaws were junk. I thought they couldn’t cut straight and that blades were supposed to bend sideways. Then I got a bosch saw and was amazed that I could cut along a line without wavering, that cuts through thick wood stayed vertical. I paid 5x the price for the bosch, but worth every penny. I’ve had mine almost 7 years and have never regretted it. It also really convinced me to start buying quality tools.

At the time I didn’t even consider the barrel grip, but now I wished I’d had been able to try it out, seems like it might have been a good fit.

-- @craftcollectif , http://www.craftcollective.ca, https://www.etsy.com/shop/craftcollective?

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

#3 posted 02-10-2016 11:28 PM

I bought mine back ‘05. Definitely one of the best tool purchases I’ve made. I love the versatility of speeds and angles it has to achieve a nice clean cut.

View marvinlee's profile

marvinlee

#4 posted 03-06-2016 02:46 AM

I’m on my third Bosch jigsaw, each the latest model when bought. I used the first one, bought in 1981, to build a round house. Thirty-five years later and the saw is still functioning, though not often used. It has never required a repair.

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

#5 posted 03-06-2016 03:43 AM

I have to agree with the barrel configuration for better control and feel. Don’t have one now as I replaced a tired old Makita with a Dewalt D grip. It’s a decent saw, but should have gone with the Bosch.

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

#6 posted 09-16-2016 12:03 AM

I also have this saw and like it. I do not use it often though. Sure is a heavy saw.

-- Website is No PHD just a DD214 and a GED https://craftingcouple.com/