Oneida Mini Gorilla

Review by philF posted 04-29-2009 03:16 PM 12779 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Oneida Mini Gorilla Oneida Mini Gorilla No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was searching for a portable (one machine at a time) dust collector for my basement shop. After much research and anguish I settled on the Oneida Air Systems Mini Gorilla. Oneida cut the price to $795.00 and threw in a plastic Dust Deputy DIY cyclone. They also cut the price on the remote control upgrade to $30. I was vacillating between the Jet DC-1100 CK (Canister Filter) and the Mini Gorilla. The Jet had the higher CFM, but I wondered how long would I have 1100 CFM, was the filter going to clog? The Mini Gorilla had 600 CFM but that should remain constant do to the cyclonic design. I also like the fact that the Mini Gorilla could be upgraded to a HEPA filter. As a bonus the Mini Gorilla was made in the US.

I ordered the Mini Gorilla with the remote control upgrade and a HEPA filter upgrade. It arrived in 3 boxes via UPS in 5 days from my order placement. Shipping weight was approximately 150 pounds. I was very impressed with how the unit was packaged and boxed. The unit just screams quality. The fit and finish is excellent. I had the unit together in under an hour. The assembly was simple and straightforward.

My current Dust Collection needs are for the following, Spindle Sander, Dewalt 10” contractor saw, Jet 6.25” Jointer, Jet 14” Band saw, Lathe and miscellaneous small tools.
I have tested the Dust Collector on my Jointer and was quite pleased with the results. The sound level is much better than my shop vacuum. I do have a Dylos .5 micron air particle tester (http://www.dylosproducts.com) so I will be monitoring for small dust escapes.

-Phil

-- Bored Feet

View philF's profile

philF

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 04-29-2009 04:09 PM

congrats. hope you can edit this review once you experience more of the actual abilities and quality of the machine’s performance.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

#2 posted 04-29-2009 06:06 PM

Good luck with the new dust collector. You should do a follow up in a few months and let us know how the machine does for long-term use.

-- Steve-o

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#3 posted 04-29-2009 06:16 PM

A picture of it setup would be nice also. I see that the impeller is a composite material.

View Chris's profile

Chris

338 posts in 2008 days

#4 posted 05-01-2009 04:33 AM

Thanks for posting, and to echo the others please let us know how this works out. I’m looking to upgrade from an inadequate shop vac myself.

-- Chris

112070 posts in 2228 days

#5 posted 05-01-2009 11:38 PM

Congrats on your new dust collector I hope it serves you well. I have 3 dust collectors all around $ 150 each from Harbor Freight They are rated at 1200 cfm . I have some under floor ducts and some over head .I use one just for my table saw,One for my Jointer, and one for everthing else . I have waited until there on sale but even when there not there somewhere from $199 to $ 229 . I usually buy high end tools if I can afford them but these cheepie dust collectors have served me well . If your wondering how I have room for three dust collectors ,two of them are out side were I like them for removal of sawdust and noise I have remotes for the two outside.

View Alan's profile

Alan

443 posts in 2055 days

#6 posted 01-26-2010 02:25 AM

Hi Phil, now that you’ve had the dust collector for awhile just wonder if you had any more comments. I’m thinking about getting the same one.
Thanks, Al

-- Alan, Prince George

View LucasinBC's profile

LucasinBC

#7 posted 02-25-2011 12:16 AM

Hi Phil,

I realize that you posted this well over two years ago, but if you still have this DC could you offer your current opinion? Still happy with it? I’m looking at some of the smaller cyclone DCs as well but there’s not much review information available on how well they do in the shop.

Thanks,
Lucas

-- Making mistakes is essential in learning woodworking.

View edz's profile

edz

#8 posted 02-09-2013 12:45 AM

Hi Phil,

I want to upgrade my 1 1/2 horse Grizzly with the Oneida Mini because to upgrade to the canister filter will cost me more than I paid for the Grizzly in the first place. I’d really like to hear if you still like the performance of the Mini. I primarily run a permanent connection to my Unisaw, 4” flex with quick connect to either my 14” bandsaw, 6” jointer or 12” planer. I also have a 2 1/2” flex that connects to either my drill press or one of my two ports on my router table. I’d really like some feedback prior to pulling the trigger. Thanks Phil or anyone else who has an Oneida Mini-Gorilla.

-- Ed, Raleigh, NC