An Indispensable Addition to My Sanding Equipment

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 09:33 PM 1775 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An Indispensable Addition to My Sanding Equipment No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this unit since about 2006. From shortly after I bought it and yet to this day, I consider this tool an indispensable addition to my sanding equipment. I think highly enough of it that I would upgrade to the floor model, if I didn’t have other upgrades to tend to first.

The unit is a heavy, well built piece of equipment and, certainly, had much to do with my considering other Jet equipment purchases. In the years I’ve used this machine, it shows no signs of wear or tear.

The table tilts easily for angled sanding operations and it is easy to attach a fence for specialty sanding. Mine came with several spindles, allowing me to sand down to 1/4” and up to 2” or larger.

For ease of use, I built a cart for my unit. I gave the cart a wide footprint (e.g., 30”x30”) for stability, when rolling it about the shop.

Like many woodworking tools, this unit opens doors to new woodworking opportunities, if only for time saved. Like others, I had been limping by using [and abusing] my drill press. It has saved hours of, otherwise, tedious sanding of curved items, and may have saved my drill press from an expensive repair.

When connected to my small (4”) dust extractor, or even a vacuum, this unit does a fair job of collecting most the dust produced in sanding operations.

By investing in duplicate spindles, you can further improve the efficiency of this unit. It is much easier to swap spindles than to swap sanding sleeves (sometimes you have to relieve the pressure and allow them to go back to their original, thinner shape before you can pull a sleeve off).

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2025 posts in 2938 days

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 02-09-2016 10:20 PM

I bought the old powermatic version of this sander at auction a while back. Unfortunately it is missing most of the drums/spindles and the cast iron top has warped to a sort of cup shape. Someday I’ll find some replacement parts (any idea where I can get them?) and make a new top out of melamine. Other than that, it seems very powerful and smooth.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2025 posts in 2938 days

#2 posted 02-09-2016 10:38 PM

It might be worth checking dimensions and such, since Jet is just the cheaper version of PM.

You can do a quick search for the Jet and PM manuals and I know the Jet is free on line.

Sorry, that’s the best I can do.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#3 posted 02-13-2016 12:16 PM

I’d take a look at what Harbor Freight has in terms of the rubber and sanding cylinders. I believe I saw the rubber sleeves near the sandpaper, and I know they sell the sandpaper cylinders in packs of five.

You would have to check if the rubbers are of the same I.D. I know the HF unit goes from 1/4” to 3”. And of course, the HF does not come with individual spindles.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#4 posted 02-13-2016 06:32 PM

I have this same Jet sander and love it. I wouldn’t trade it for anything except a bigger more powerful one.