Grizzly H7777 8" Dado Stack

Review by Frostyjo posted 1920 days ago 4712 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly H7777 8" Dado Stack Grizzly H7777 8" Dado Stack Grizzly H7777 8" Dado Stack Click the pictures to enlarge them

After the recent reviews where various customer service centers have taken a beating, here’s one that has a happy ending.

Last fall I was on the quest for a new dado set to go with my new saw. As a weekend hobbyist with Christmas approaching I couldn’t rationalize spending $200+ on a stack. After looking at several I narrowed it down to the Freud 208 and the Grizzly’s H7777 8” stacks. The deciding points that leaned me towards the Grizzly were price ($50), the chippers are full plates with 5 teeth and it will cut 23/32”.

I ordered the set in November as a Christmas present for myself. My wife insisted that I had to wait until Christmas to open it (and be very surprised at the great present Santa brought me for my 3 year old). As my schedule worked out, it ended up I didn’t get the chance to use it until March.

First impression: The stack was well packed with foam between all the blades and chippers, and each had a protective plastic ring around it. It comes with a 3/32” and 1/16” chipper, 8 shims (.005”, .010, .015, and .020) and an instruction sheet. The outside blades are 30 tooth. 5 sets of 6 teeth, beveled toward the outside with a flat tooth at the end of each set.

I set it up to crosscut 3/4” dados and ran a test cut. After some shimming it was at ¾”. The edges of the cuts were sharp and it didn’t splinter at the exit point. But, the right outside blade had a very noticeable bevel. It was also considerably deeper than the rest of the dado, which wasn’t exactly flat either. Looking at the end of the dado, there were noticeable differences in the depths of the cuts. I rearranged the chippers so the shallowest was next to the right outside blade and made a few more cuts. The difference between the shallowest cut and the deepest was close to 1/16”. I don’t have extremely high expectations for a $50 stack, but that was just too much.

I called Grizzly customer service and explained my disappointment. I also explained why I was calling in March about an item I bought in November. I told them I wasn’t looking for a refund, just a set that cut satisfactorily. They said to return the item and they would test it. I did, then waited about 2 weeks. About the time I was getting ready to call them for a status, I got an email saying my order had shipped. 2 days later the UPS man brought me a new replacement set. About 3 days after that I got a check for the cost of the returning the first set.

The new set cuts flat. You can see where the individual chippers cut, but there is little noticeable difference in depth when looking at the end of the cut. Tightly seating a board in the dado left no gaps, it’s flush across the width of the dado. Edges are nice and sharp. Running a chisel down the dado peeled up some hair thin strips but that was all.

I went with 4 stars because the item works as I expected, although I it could be a little cleaner. I think a weekend warrior (like me) will be happy with the performance for the money invested. I don’t believe a professional builder or a production shop would be happy with it. Perhaps the 208 would have been a better choice but I like that the Grizzly will cut in variances of 32nd inch since I use plywood for projects that will be painted, or in areas that won’t be seen. Eventually, this set will be delegated to plywood tasks or wasting out bulk before routing when I invest in a higher end set.

The happy ending: It took two tries for Grizzly to get it right, but they did come through, they did it quickly (mail does take some time) and they did it without question even though I returned it almost 5 months after I bought it. I would expect this kind of service from high-end companies, so I think it’s great to get it from a company that makes products that aren’t in the top of the price range.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

View Frostyjo's profile

Frostyjo

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1929 days

#1 posted 1920 days ago

Good review, thanks. Just got my first Grizzly tool and one of the reasons I went that way was all the good things I have heard about their Customer service.

-- Don S.E. OK

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#2 posted 1920 days ago

I like Grizzly too for that reason and I’ve had no problem with any of their products either.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2368 days

#3 posted 1919 days ago

Grizzly provides good tools. And, if it’s not right, they make it right. I’ve got the same dado set and use it a lot with good results. One thing, invest in a set of magnetic shims. Worth every penny. Sorry, almost forgot…... very good review.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2097 posts in 2330 days

#4 posted 1919 days ago

i wonder if you’d get smoother bottoms on a harder wood. it almost looks like these were tearing. I seem to get better cuts through denser more even grained woods.

I have a freud set but being the genius that I am, I put the bladed on backwards, when makinga 0 clearance insert. I’m sure the heat caused when raising the blades into the insert damaged them pretty badly. I don’t think any review I do now would be fair. They do seems to leave very flat bottoms though with no chipout (when I use a zero clearance insert and have the blades on right)

View mark_h's profile

mark_h

4 posts in 1975 days

#5 posted 1918 days ago

I have this set also and agree with you that it is more than sufficient for anyone who isnt a professional woodworker. This is right in line with the rest of Grizzly’s products in my opinion. Great value for the price and more than sufficient for the weekend woodworker but probably not what youd want to invest in if you wanted to do this for a living. Good set and well worth the money for a first set or the non professional.

112001 posts in 2179 days

#6 posted 1918 days ago

I have had good service from Grizzly so called low end tools but only in cost, I wish I could say the same for Laguna tools supposedly High end tools.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#7 posted 1917 days ago

I had a inexpensive dado cutter before I bought my Forrest 6” dado blade. I too was dissappointed with the cut. At that time I was planning on building the Highboy, and decided to just pull the trigger and get it. It was on sale from Amazon (like $60.00 off), so I didn’t exactly feel raped, maybe just slightly abused!! It sure does cut perfectly flar bottom dadoes/rabbetts!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View thiel's profile

thiel

I’ve had great experiences with Grizzly and am only now starting to remember that they make small tools too :)

I have the “cheapo” Freud 8’ dado, which has only 2 tipped chippers, and it’s been great…. nice to hear that there are other low-cost options out there too!

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

I have the same stacked dado set. Good value for the money. If I am cutting cross grain on plywood I always blue tape the cut. Seems to reduce the tear out. I haven’t used any other brand so I don’t have anything to compare against.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”