Nail Pullers

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 09:23 PM 1234 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Nail Pullers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this tool for well over five years and have put a lot of miles on it in that time. I’ve used it on several remodel jobs. I liked it so much, I bought a second for my wood shop.

Big or small, each of my crowbars often require significant effort to pull nails. As a claw gets farther from the wood from which a nail is being pulled, the leverage advantage disappears. Frequently, I have to scrounge around for something to put under the claw, to raise it, to get my leverage advantage back. This problem is compounded when pulling spiral, shank and framing nails. In the end, I find myself popping nail heads off before the nail will pull free. Then I have to go looking for this tool.

Just as with bars and hammers, you can pull nails by the head with this tool. However, if the head is prone to failure, this tool will usually crush it and grip the nail body. Alternatively, you can grip the nail under the head. Either way, the weak point of the head is no longer an issue.

By gripping nails close to where they they enter the wood and rocking back, you take advantage of leverage. With this tool, just loose your grip a little, slide the teeth back down near the wood and rock back again. You’ll find you use far less effort removing nails than you would with a bar or claw hammer. Many times, I’ve found this tool will tackle nails when my crowbars will not (e.g., weak nail heads or pin nails with no head)..

This tool is so easy to use, I often grab it instead of a small crowbar, even when pulling finishing nails left behind after removing paneling.

Note one side of this tool has a larger rocking surface than the other. This both helps get into tighter places provides more leverage than a tool [like my favorite end knippers] which grabs at its center.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

1922 posts in 2854 days

1 comment so far

View Woodknack's profile (online now)

Woodknack

#1 posted 02-11-2016 04:26 AM

My 2 nail pulling tools are always the largest crowbar I have handy and a pair of Channellocks. I always go for the crowbar first because it’s faster but anything with a broken head gets the Channellocks. If I did enough nail pulling to matter, I’d definitely invest in this tool.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/