Frieden Hardwoods

Review by JimmyNate posted 1945 days ago 2095 views 3 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Frieden Hardwoods No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Frieden hardwoods is a great source for furniture grade kiln dried lumber near Kansas City.

FRIEDEN HARDWOODS
MARK FRIEDEN
3462 DELAWARE ROAD
POMONA KS 66076
(785) 418-5746

I called down and visited today. About 45 minutes south of the city off I-35, the store is located in a small building on a farm. The owner(s) farm and basically seem willing to sell lumber most any time if you call ahead and are respectful of the fact that this is a part-time operation. This isn’t a lumberyard with regular hours and a steady stream of customers in and out, but the quality, selection and prices beat any local dealers hands-down.

I picked up about 100 board feet of a mix of cherry, walnut and mulberry for $340 (tax included). In the city that’d run $700+. The lumber is dry (though I didn’t take a moisture meter) and planed on both faces. Mark was happy to show me his inventory which was well organized and let me pick my boards while he figued how many board feet of each variety I had chosen. He helped me load and even threw in a few shorter boards for good measure.

I didn’t see a credit card machine in his shed but perhaps it was hiding somewhere. I paid cash and couldn’t tell you whether he takes checks or not since I didn’t ask.

All in all, HIGHLY recommended, 5-Stars and so on. I’ll be back and any LJ’s in Kansas City that haven’t been to see Frieden Hardwoods should go pay a visit.

-- "We are what we repeatedly do; excellence then is not an act but a habit." ---Aristotle

View JimmyNate's profile

JimmyNate

124 posts in 1977 days

View Don K.'s profile

Don K.

1075 posts in 1953 days

#1 posted 1945 days ago

Thanks for the review and the web site.

-- Don S.E. OK

View hootr's profile

hootr

183 posts in 1974 days

#2 posted 1945 days ago

thanks for the info
i’ve also had good luck with

Bloomer Hardwoods PH # 816-330-3596

they’re between Platte City and Leavenworth
also small operation but they keep regular business hours and have some hardwood plywood

-- Ron, Missouri

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

#3 posted 1944 days ago

$3.40 a board foot! Wow. I guess the small guys can compete with the big box stores.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#4 posted 1943 days ago

Pretty decent fishing in the reservoir there too…

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Russel's profile

Russel

#5 posted 1943 days ago

You gotta love a small local business. Getting to know and work with people like this is a pleasure in itself and you walk away with good product.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View dustmaker's profile

dustmaker

38 posts in 2074 days

#6 posted 1943 days ago

I have been buying wood from Mark for years. Very good quality and reasonably priced for kiln dried wood. Carries a very good selection.

-- Dustmaker, Kansas

View Durnik150's profile

Durnik150

647 posts in 1949 days

#7 posted 1943 days ago

Thanks for the info. I was out in KC last month and will be again this summer. I’ll make a point of calling and swinging down for a look and most likely a purchase.

-- Behind the Bark is a lot of Heartwood----Charles, Centennial, CO

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

369 posts in 2099 days

#8 posted 1924 days ago

Mark has good stuff. Call ahead and see what is in stock.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

112011 posts in 2204 days

#9 posted 1924 days ago

It sounds good a little bit of a drive from Oregon. Good Reveiw

View Douger's profile

Douger

I live almost an hour away, but I’ve bought wood from Mark Frieden a number of times, and I’ve never been disappointed—always worth the trip.

-- Doug, Kansas, http://newwoodshop.wordpress.com

View rowdy's profile

rowdy

373 posts in 2069 days

That is where I buy most of my wood. It is a two hour drive, but worth it. I second all of the comments above.

-- Rowdy in Kechi, Kansas

View byerbyer's profile

byerbyer

Have they closed up shop? I was going to stop by on my next trip to eastern KS.

-- Byer-- "Comparison is the thief of joy" -- T.R. Roosevelt

View JimmyNate's profile

JimmyNate

124 posts in 1977 days

I haven’t been out in a while but I think he’s still going. Prices were updated in May 2013 on his woodfinder.com ad.

Looks like he has a new website, too:

View byerbyer's profile

byerbyer

I hope you’re right. Somebody said they closed on yelp so it shows up at the top of a google search. I’m hoping to swing by there and Kansas Hardwoods in Belvue in the next few weeks.

-- Byer-- "Comparison is the thief of joy" -- T.R. Roosevelt