From Dust Pump to Dust Collector

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 08:50 PM 1728 views 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
From Dust Pump to Dust Collector No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My three horse Jet had four nylon bags. The first time I ran it I suspected it had something in the area of twenty micron bags. In reality, they were probably five micron bags. Either way, it was nothing more than a chip collecting dust pump.

I swapped the bottom bags for plastic ones, which took care of the bottom half. After shopping and comparing various bags, I found these. After installing them, I noticed an immediate improvement. They fit well, but I still noticed some occasional leaks at various spots around the band clamps.

To insure a tight fit between the bags and the collector, and to solve the problem of minor leaks, I removed the bags, cleaned the collector’s metal surface, where the bag attached, and installed strips of foam sold for use between pickup beds and campers. This produced an excellent seal and I have not found any leaks since.

In summary, for around fifty dollars per bag, I consider these and excellent investment and replacement for bags having less than a one micron filter capacity.

NOTES:

I picked up a box of Home Depot clear lawn bags for replacement for the two bottom bags and they seem to be holding well. More so since the cyclone grabs most everything before it can get to the bags. Even the more expensive ones developed holes over time, so, if these only lasted six months, I’ve enough bags for a few years and for the same price as just a few of the heavier mil bags.

Even if the bags are a bigger diameter than my collector requires, they fold back on themselves well and, since I added foam strips, like the type sold for the seal between pick-up beds and campers, I haven’t detected any leaks.

I could not find information indicating if the one micron filter capacity was only after the expected crust build up on the inside of the bags. However, I do know there is an obvious difference between the effect of hitting these bags and hitting the stock bags while the collector is running. When I hit the original bags, dust would billow from them. With these, any dust coming off them appears more like just disturbing dust that settled on the bags and other surfaces in the shop from other woodworking operations.

View Kelly's profile