Grizzly G0593 8" Jointer with Spiral Cutter-head

Review by Don K. posted 1950 days ago 13637 views 4 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0593 8" Jointer with Spiral Cutter-head No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is going to be a little different. (I am in a good mood)
I decided that after years of doing it by hand, that it was time to buy a good jointer. As I have stated before, I am a little obsessive when it comes to buying a high priced tool. If it is something I can lay my hands on and look at, I usually have no problem just pulling the trigger and buying it. But when it comes to ordering a tool I have never seen/touched or used, and then giving the lady/man on the other end of the phone my credit card…well….I get a little nervous.

After countless hours of research. face and lots of advice from some fellow Lumberjocks I decided to buy a G0593 8’ with a spiral cutter head. dance

I was going to buy a G0586 with a four blade system, but after thinking about it decided to go with a spiral cutter head. Todd, (A fellow LJ,) suggested a ten inch jointer because of what I do, I strongly considered it, but just could not let go of the extra $800 or so dollars.

So I ordered my new jointer and crossed my fingers that all would be well fingers I ordered it this past Monday, and the delivery man called me on Friday afternoon to set up a delivery time. Now when I ordered this, the lady at Grizzly told me what freight line would be delivering it, and told me I would need help because the driver was only responsible for getting it onto the lift gate. So I had it all planned out to slide it into the back of my truck and then to get some friends to help me get it in my shop. The driver was VERY friendly and said, ” Are you putting this in that shop ?” After saying yes, he offered to use his pallet jack and roll it right into my shop. Needless to say, I took him up on his offer.

The packages had no damage (A good sign) and I started to unpack my new toy. After I got the cabinet out, I measured and made a mobile base for it (Read review of “Heavy duty casters”) and then with the help of a neighbor, put on the jointer bed.

I had read some reviews that the factory belts were cheap….and a real pain to put on. After one look at the belts with Chinese writing on them and they felt like rubber bands, I went to the local parts store and got some good belts before I even started.

The reviews were not wrong about the hassle the belts were…. you have to stick your head inside the machine to be able to line them up, and for a guy who is almost 6 ft 4…well lets just say I had a few choice words and was glad my daughter was not in the shop mad

After fighting with the belts and alignment for awhile…everything else went as smooth as silk. The beds were not set properly from the factory…but that was a easy fix.

Here is my new jointer on my homemade mobile base

jointer

jointer

After I hooked it up for 220 (warning here, the add says 110 or 220, but if you decide to run it on 110, you have to buy a new magnetic switch, something they do not tell you when you buy it) I fired it up for the first time….I was smiling from ear to ear, VERY little noise and hardly any vibration.

Time to test it out… I grabbed a old piece of Oak that was just laying in my scrap pile, grabbed the push blocks that comes with the unit and let her rip, all I can say is WOW…it came out smoother than my old planner does…felt like glass. I played with it for about ten more minutes and ran several bowed and warped pieces through the machine.

After squaring up each piece, I put them on a very good quality square and checked to see how true it was…again, nothing but smiles on my face happy

So needless to say, I am VERY happy with my new Grizzly jointer and would highly recommend the G0593 with a spiral cutter head to anyone in the market.

For that matter, I am about to upgrade several pieces in my shop, After the experience I just had with my new jointer (Quality, ease of directions, well made) and the way the Customer service was (VERY friendly and helpful) They just won a new customers business. As long as each piece comes in the same way, I will continue to purchase their equipment.

So if your looking for a new 8 inch jointer, I strongly recomend you at least look at this jointer. For the price (almost half of some of the other major brands) and the quality preformance it gives…It will make the world seem like a better place !!! dance (Well, at least better in my shop anyways).

View Jack Barnhill's profile

Jack Barnhill

366 posts in 1998 days

#1 posted 1950 days ago

Thanks for the review and the heads-up. This one is on my wish list for when I have a shop big enough to hold it.

-- Best regards, Jack -- I may not be good, but I'm slow -- www.BarnhillWoodworks.com

#2 posted 1950 days ago

Congrats on the jointer, Don. They should have warned you about having to buy a new mag starter for 120 volt operation, but 2 hp is a lot of motor to run on 120 Volts. It would surely dim the ligjhts when it started ;-)) How do you sharpen the spiral head? Any idea?

#3 posted 1950 days ago

Your welcome Jack, and thanks TopamaxSurvivor, each little cutter has four sides to it, when they go dull, or get a chip in one…you just rotate it (They also send 5 extra blades). Was talking to Todd about his on the phone the other day and he said he has been using his on a almost daily basis for almost four years and has only rotated them twice so far.

As far as the 110…. I decided to run 220 in my shop while waiting for it to arrive….so the 110 was not a issue. But I added that little warning about the 110 incase someone was to buy it with the intent of running it on 110.

#4 posted 1950 days ago

Wow, that sounds like a lifetime machine!!

Anyone considering any kind of power equipment should be aware 2 hp and above should be run on 240. Anything over 5 hp should be 3 phase, but a single phase 10 hp is available. They draw about 100 amps!!

#5 posted 1950 days ago

Bob,
This is what the cutter head looks like

cutter

You can see that each cutter has four sides to it, what you do not see is how BIG they are, by the picture I figured they would be about a quarter inch square…Boy was I wrong…they are about a half inch across and almost a quarter inch thick…looks like a freaking meat grinder….but as I said, it made rough red oak as smooth as glass.

#6 posted 1950 days ago

It surprises me too!!

#7 posted 1950 days ago

It has to be a happy day at the Don Kelley Shop!

Good to hear that your purchase and delivery went smoothly. I am confident that you will have great service out of the machine.

I don’t remember having trouble installing the belts, but I have a lot of happy memories using the jointer since I got it. The sunshine may have chased them bad memories away.

One thing that I really like about your unit is the On/Off switch location. Mine is down under the infeed table on the cabinet. It is not a big deal but I like your set-up better for sure.

I hope to upgrade to a larger unit in the future, 8” just seems too small for me anymore. Maybe some LJ member will end up with mine in when I make the leap. I will say that a bigger jointer may difficult to fit into my shop, I have a good layout going with the particular size tools that I have. I never guessed that I would end up shopping industrial sized equipment.

#8 posted 1950 days ago

MVWOODWORKS – I looked into the Byrd head cutters at one time and it seemed like the carbide inserts were a good bit more expensive to replace than the Grizzly inserts. If I remember correctly, they were not the same size, so they would not be interchangeable.

I have not looked into it since I bought my jointer a few years ago and I may very well be wrong.

View mmh's profile

mmh

#9 posted 1949 days ago

I’ve been eyeing a Grizzly jointer with Spiral Head and I’m glad to hear you’re very pleased. This will be on my “Want List” for sure!

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

#10 posted 1949 days ago

Byrd and Grizzly now make the entire cutter head for a grizzly cutter your pick (another upgrade), I thought about buying My model in the four blade model (G0586) and then buy the spiral seperate (Two cutter heads for $75 more, then you have a backup) but I was already over the budget I set for myself (as I usually am) I also thought about getting the Byrd cutter head ($100 more than the Grizzly one).

But to be honest…..I reall do not see how it could gave a cut any better than the one I got. Not saying it wouldn’t or anything…but you would probably need a microscope to see the differance.

#11 posted 1949 days ago

I don’t know that the extra money would be worth it, I have incredible cuts out of my Grizzly spiral head.

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

#12 posted 1949 days ago

My 8” 3hp GO490X w/spiral cutter head and carbide inserts has been a great machine. Minimal tearout if any on figured wood. I’ve run a bunch of BF across it without a hickup. Can’t come up with any negatives. But now that I’ve jinxed myself, stay tuned.

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

#13 posted 1949 days ago

Thats what I was thinking Todd, after I ran my very first piece through the machine…My eyes had to be the size of saucers and my mouth was hanging open. You would have to work REAL hard with a hand sander to make it as smooth as this was after one pass. Like I said…the upgrade MAY be smoother under a microscope, but I doubt it.

Sometimes more money does not mean better. I could have easily spent TWICE as much for another companys jointer and for what ? To just say I have a (Fill in name of high dollar company here).

Was out in the shop for a bit tonight trying to finish a grandfather clock that I have been working on for way to long. Used my new jointer, then the planner, took a piece in and asked my wife and daughter to fill both sides and tell me which felt smoother…both said the side that was jointed felt smoother.

#14 posted 1949 days ago

Do they make a planner that does this good?

#15 posted 1949 days ago

I honestly can’t say Bob, I have a old Delta planner that I have been meaning to upgrade and up size for years, this beats my planner to pieces. I just found a used Grizzly 15 inch planner for $500, But after my experience with the spiral head jointer…. I am seriously thinking of waiting a bit and buying a 15 inch spiral planner.

Springfield Mo. is only about a three to four hour drive away and Grizzly is having their annual tent sale (Have never been to one) I have read that they have crazy savings at these, scratch and dent/clearance/ discontinued etc.

I may wait until June, drive down and spend the night, and buy me a Spiral planner then.