Happy Camper No. 2,17685 (give or take a few)

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 07:34 PM 2483 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Happy Camper No. 2,17685 (give or take a few) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve primarily used this for mortised and tenoned frame corners for a kitchen (cuts done with the styles and rails at ninety degrees to the table) and splined corners (cuts done with frame corners at twenty-two and a half to forty-five degrees to the table). The results are, I am very pleased with my purchase.

This is a lot of jig for the money. Just lifting it makes clear the fact it’s not a toy. I believe this tenon jig will provide years of service.

Though another reviewer complained about machining quality, I found no trouble with it, but I can see how, if [incorrectly] allowed to extend through the bottom, some of the bolts could create a problem (e.g., rocking).

There was some clean up, as others noted, but even my expensive, high end equipment had that issue. Cosmoline, or its equivalent, is preferable to rust any day.

Even if you find assembly daunting, keep in mind, you’ll only have to do it once. As for me, once I got past my excitement assembling a new tool and looked at the manual, it went very smoothly. I found the manual to be well done.

The tenon jig has proven easy to use and has provided accurate, repeatable cuts each time I’ve used it. By taking extra time on set ups, I find I can run through complete projects quickly, since I merely have to flip the wood around for the next cut.

When I’m using a standard blade, rather than a dado blade, instead of adding a spacer between the jig face and the work piece, to insure against contact between the blade and the iron jig, I set my cuts up to take place on the outside, well away from the main frame of the jig. This still leaves a wide margin between the jig and the blade. I also substitute a thinner spacer (e.g., 1/8 plexi, acrylic or Masonite) for the workpiece to rest on (launch from), reducing the amount the blade must be raised for deep cuts.

View Kelly's profile

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#2 posted 02-14-2016 04:47 PM

Good review. I have had this same unit for 10 years, never a problem and has held up well over the years.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

#3 posted 02-16-2016 08:33 PM

I bought one like this one years ago because it was on sale.
I never used it, not once.

View JK0702's profile

JK0702

#4 posted 03-13-2016 11:17 PM

Bert,
Send it my way :-)

-- John - Huntington Beach, CA --- Growth occurs when we get out of our comfort zone.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2095 posts in 3116 days

#5 posted 03-13-2016 11:25 PM

How come you haven’t used it yet, Bert? Just didn’t get to any mortise and tenon projects?