Harbor Freight 23 Ga. Air Pinner

Review by Tim Scoville posted 1923 days ago 6481 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 23 Ga. Air Pinner No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have become rather pragmatic in the purchasing of some tools for my shop. Harbor Freight is very accessible for me and the cost of air tools from the big box stores seems out of proportion to what they do and what I can buy them for at HF. I am not not a power user of air nailers but expect I will use them more and more over time. Although the normal price for this is $24.99, I think I picked mine up on sale for $16.99. The pins I buy in packages of 6000 for about $4. I love these pinners since the pins are so small, often you don’t know they’re there unless you look closely.

This one is very simple and straightforward to use. A little oil at the air inlet, load the pins (from 1/2 to 1 inch in length) set the control on the side of the magazine for length (to set depth), hook up the air and you’re good to go. I like using this in lieu of clamps for some glue ups and for setting drawer fronts onto drawers in place. Because it is so light, uses such a small pin, and has never yet misfired, I will be finding more ways to make this part of my daily tool arsenal.

My first HF air gun purchase was for a narrow crown stapler and it too has never misfired and done yeoman’s work. My first pneumatic gun purchase was my Porter Cable 18 ga. nailer. I like it also, nicer finish and all, but it misfires several times everytime it’s used. HF isn’t for everybody, but I have been very pleased with their pneumatic tools.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#1 posted 1923 days ago

Hi Tim,

Pin nailers are very handy to have around

I don’t think anyone can beat that deal.

Lee

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

#2 posted 1923 days ago

It doesnt look like it has the double trigger of most 23 ga pinners…is there some other safety mech. on there? I have a HF about 45 mins from me now…I may have to go up there, or get a family member who is closer pick me one up….

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.

#3 posted 1923 days ago

I am not familiar with double triggers, unless you’re referring to the safety feature with the tip having to be depressed before the trigger will engage. Yes it has this feature. There is no rubber “boot” at the tip, but that has not been a problem with “marring” the wood as these boots claim to eliminate.

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

#4 posted 1923 days ago

the other 23 gauge pinners i have seen have 2 triggers, you have to depress one that then unlocks the firing trigger…

Porter Cable Pinner

#5 posted 1923 days ago

Hmmm. I think I’d rather not have a double trigger to be honest. Overkill, for me. When the nose is depressed it pushes the lock off (basically just a wire attached to the nose and trigger), allowing the trigger to be “live”. This is enough of a safety measure for me. If a soft nose is important for some that use it often with softer woods, there is some stuff on the market that can be brushed on or dipped into that would probably work nicely. Haven’t done that, but if I start working more with softer woods, I might.

Best of luck to you, whichever way you go.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1002 posts in 2091 days

#6 posted 1923 days ago

Good review, thanks. I have a no name (maybe task force) 18 gauge and I’m quite happy with it. HF opened a store 5 minutes away and I stopped by this afternoon to just walk thru and look around. I’ve been in the market for a pinner, and will certainly go back tomorrow for a look see.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#7 posted 1923 days ago

I thought they were just junk dealers. Guess not, eh?

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1957 days

#8 posted 1923 days ago

Hi Tim..I have used senco for most of my airgun needs, but I did just what your did..went and bought a no namer brad nailer.. and you know what..it does exactly what your gun does now.. works great.. no misfires, and cost me about 200 bucks less..and I have had it for about 5 years now..

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

#9 posted 1922 days ago

Topa – I am much less enthusiastic about anything from HF that’s powered and rotates unless I KNOW that my use will be minor, like a single use project or an ocassional need. Heck, at sale prices at HF it can be about the same as renting. But I buy clamps, gloves, tape, wood glue, sand paper, paint brushes, etc. whenever I have need for much less than I can get most anywhere else. Hey, good to hear from a sparky. My dad was an electrician too. Unfortunately I didn’t learn all I should have before he passed away. I’m sure he has a few chuckles when he sees my electrical work. I miss him. Best to you.

RB – I have been pleasantly surprised with the pneumo stuff there. Good to hear a validation.

View Barto's profile

Barto

24 posts in 1920 days

#10 posted 1914 days ago

Please ignore my ignorance…. so this fires pins and not staples? Haven’t seen those in New Zealand….

-- Bart, Waimauku NZ

#11 posted 1913 days ago

Barto,

Yeah, it’s really cool. The strip of pins really looks like a strip of cut copper wire, but smaller than the 18 ga., obviously. They are not nearly as common as the 18 ga. but I would think you could find them there too.

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#12 posted 1913 days ago

I have this same gun. It works. I buy the name brand pins. It will even fire longer sizes than the tool lists.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

#13 posted 1913 days ago

If I find longer pins, I might try them. Thanks.

View cicerojoe's profile

cicerojoe

2 posts in 2051 days

#14 posted 1908 days ago

I have one of these. It works great.

View TheHarr's profile

TheHarr

#15 posted 1904 days ago

I hate to admit this, but I have that HF 23 ga. pin nailer. I didn’t want to get a cheapo, but that’s all I could afford. I would have preferred, at the time, a Porter Cable (P.C. is now on my do not buy list). I have not had any problems with the HF pin nailer. It has worked reliably.

One application that the 23 ga nailer can do—get this. When I am doing a glue up where the pieces tend to slide out of alignment, I shoot a couple of pins to hold everying in place. There is virtually no kick so no movement occurs. I then put on the clamps and let the glue dry.

There is one big drawback with HF nail guns, they do not have a quick release to clear jams in the head.

-- The wood is good.