It's Super for a Reason

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 07:23 PM 2686 views 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It's Super for a Reason It's Super for a Reason No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My purchase of the Super Dust Deputy was inspired by the results of using my [metal version] Dust Deputy and Dust Gorilla.

I’m running a Jet four bagger (3 HP dust collector with after market one micron bags) and use it, instead of a vacuum, to clean my shop floor, and around equipment. Screws, nails, nuts, bolts, pieces of wood and even an occasional tool get picked up in the course of cleaning.

Normally, everything is drawn through the impeller blades. When chips and other large objects pass through the impellers, there is a lot of racket, and a potential for damage to the impeller blades. Additionally, dust quickly covers the filter canister pleats, dropping power and, thus efficiency, relative to the total amount of fine dust picked up.

Just as with the smaller Dust Deputy, the Super Dust Deputy removes around ninety-five percent of everything picked up, before it gets to the collector. Most important is, that includes one hundred percent of heavier items or debris that, otherwise, would make it to the collector’s blades. Ultimately, only ounces of the lighter material end up in the collector’s filter and bag by the time the Super Dust Deputy’s collector require emptying, allowing me to go much longer between filter cleanings, since performance remains higher far longer.

I built my own collection drum and lid (mount) for my Super Dust Deputy. I used a thirty gallon plastic drum, paying a lot of attention to sealing the unit, since that is critical to cyclone performance. To obtain a seal between the drum and the lid, I used common foam strip available for sealing household doors. To insure a tight fit, I purchased two sets (two in a set) rubber hood hold-downs as used on large trucks from a local auto parts store.

I ran the system with and without the Super Dust Deputy in line. Even with the cyclone and large drum in line, performance was great. There may have been a drop in performance, but it was slight and that was well offset by the long term efficiency gains [and impeller protection].

When I bought my smaller Dust Deputy, I opted for the metal version, since I tote it to jobs and wanted durability. For this one, I opted for the molded version. In part, this was because it would remain in the shop. The other reason was design difference between it and the metal version. This one appeared as if it might have a slightly improved air flow design over the metal version.

__

8/18/2016 UPDATE

I added wheels and a set of handles to the Super Dust Deputy so I could take it and my small collector (1-1/2hp) out into the yard, so we wouldn’t have to rake pine cones. It worked beautifully. The four inch hose has no problem dealing with pine cones that plug standard shop vac hoses. Again, the SDD saves the impellers from any damage from debris vacuumed.

I tested the “lawn vac” system on my wife’s flower bed. It removed all the leaves without destroying her flowers. The system worked so well, I took it up to the gravel parking lot at the wife’s store and vacuumed all the chips the painters left behind. Though about a gallon of gravel was picked up, there was no racket from it hitting [and damaging] the impellers.

View Kelly's profile