Heavy Duty wheel casters

Review by Don K. posted 04-25-2009 05:49 AM 4566 views 3 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Heavy Duty wheel casters No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like many, I make mobile base’s for all of my shop equipment. I have used plastic, rubber metal etc. And while they serve their purpose, they have many short falls. The plastic and metal ones hang up on every chip of wood and piece of trash on your floor, and have terrible locking systems. The rubber ones while they do roll much easier across the floor, still have the same lousy locking system, and develop flat spots when they sit for a extended time.

caster

Recently while I was at my local Woodcraft (not a advertisement for woodcraft) I found some polyurethane casters with a great locking system that not only locks the wheels, but the swivel also. Taking out ALL play and vibration, they have sealed bearings and are guarantied to not develop flat spots, so I tried a set.

After trying out a set for a few weeks, the next time I went there, I bought enough to change out ALL of my shops mobile base’s. They make several different size’s, but since I am almost 6ft 4inch, I have been using the 4inch caster, by the time I build up my base, it brings it up to a comfortable height for me to use.

Today I got my new Grizzly G0593 jointer and before I even put the jointer together, I made a mobile base for it.

mobile base

I never buy the “Factory” base, as you can see, the jointer’s base is rather small for a 75 inch long bed, so I simply made the base 4inchs wider and longer to make it safer to push around.

While these casters are more expensive than the plastic and rubber ones you can get at the local home improv. store (average cost at woodcraft, $11.00 to $18.00 depending on size), they are well worth the money, and still way cheaper than most mobile “Factory” base’s even after you add in the material to build your own base.

I know this is not exactly a “Tool”, but it is something MANY of us use to move around our tools.

#1 posted 04-25-2009 12:34 PM

This is a nice review. Like you, I tend to make my own bases so I will have to look at these the next time I am at Woodcraft.

#2 posted 04-25-2009 08:00 PM

Scott,
You can also get these on-line at woodcraft with free shipping. My Woodcraft is a two hour drive away, so unless I have another reason to drive to the city, I order them on-line. When I ordered my new jointer, I ordered the wheels the same day (on a monday), They were sitting on my front porch when I came home wensday for lunch.

View johnpoolesc's profile

johnpoolesc

246 posts in 2018 days

#3 posted 04-25-2009 08:04 PM

not an ad for woodcraft, but they are good people and woodworkers.. columbia, sc i can’t think of anything i bought from them that was less the 4+ stars

-- It's not a sickness, i can stop buying tools anytime.

#4 posted 04-28-2009 06:29 PM

I’m with you all I like the casters and woodcraft.

View Eduardo Rodriguez's profile

Eduardo Rodriguez

37 posts in 2028 days

#5 posted 04-28-2009 09:21 PM

Hi Don, one question, the final heigth of the tool doesn´t really bothers you?

-- Tempus fugit...better work wood!!!

#6 posted 05-04-2009 06:18 PM

Eduardo,
Sorry, I did not notice your question until today. No, as I said, I am kind of tall, so raising the tools helps me (and my back) allot.

But they do sell different size casters, and there are countless ways to make a mobile base for your tools to make them comfortable to your height. My dad is shorter than me by 4 inches, we made one together for his cabinet saw using the same 4 inch casters. Instead of a simple flat mobile base like you see on my jointer, we made one that had a recess in the platform so the saw only set about a inch off the ground.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#7 posted 05-09-2009 05:19 AM

I picked a set of four of those up for a new RAS base I just made. They are smooth as silk across my lumpy basement floor. A great set of casters! Thanks for the review!
T.

View JJones98042's profile

JJones98042

#8 posted 06-10-2012 03:54 PM

I just bought a set of 4 of these as well to re-make my table saw mobile base. I’m sure these will be a huge improvement!

-- "Keep thy airspeed up, lest the earth come from below and smite thee." - William Kershner