Review of Bizarre Exercise Equipment

Review by Kelly posted 02-09-2016 07:02 PM 1282 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Bizarre Exercise Equipment No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This shouldn’t be a review of a piece of exercise equipment, its very nature, during use, requires me to treat it as such, in order to get across its behavior characteristics in the shop.

I have several four inch flex hoses in my shop. Only this one returns to its original, retracted form. It is probable this will be the only one my shop will ever see, even if it fails and has to be replaced.

PRO: Because it retracts to its original length, I don’t have to cut it for runs, to avoid turns and bends that reduce air movement, and to avoid having hoses laid about my shop floor, but which would happen with standard hoses not cut to the length needed.

This means I would not have to splice the hose later to use it on a longer run, if I moved the equipment, or moved the hose to another piece of equipment further from the collector.

Using it to connect to a piece of equipment, it works fine. In fact, it works as well as any of my other hoses, with the exception noted under the “CON” portion of this review.

CON-1: Because it retracts to its original length, you MUST be sure you secure it to whatever piece of equipment you just connected it to, or it will disconnect itself. Connections MUST be more secure than with standard hoses and pipes, for this reason.

CON-2: If you use your dust collectors for floor clean up (e.g., with a 4” diameter [green pipe] wand), you will have to, constantly, pull hard to extend the hose, then fight to keep it there, as you vacuum. Your collector may want to follow you around the shop.

SUMMARY: Because of the constant struggle to keep this hose extended, as you move about the floor, you will get a work out, as well as an opportunity to test/improve your ability to do two things at once – constantly tug on the hose and keep the hose attached to the wand. You will find its use, for this purpose, frustrating, if not the hose from hell.

Rough interior terrain and its affect on air flow aside, this hose works fine for dedicated, secured connections when you may need to move the equipment, or transfer it to another piece of equipment closer or farther away from your collector and don’t want to have to cut or splice another hose.

I would have given this fewer stars, but if you can use it in the fashion described, it can work quite well. As such, I don’t want to discourage those needing a hose for certain applications from considering it.

I would have given this more stars because it can be used for certain applications, but I fear that might suggest the problems I have with this hose are less than they are.

NOTE: While true you could add modifications that better secure the hose to items, most are expensive or take time to use. Working a project and cleaning up, most don’t want to further complicate any process.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2092 posts in 3091 days

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#1 posted 02-09-2016 08:50 PM

I’m guessing you don’t mean to have this showing as 5 stars, just thought you might want to edit that.

I can’t stand using hoses like this that recoil like a spring. Very annoying to have to constantly fight against it. Thanks for the review, most people wouldn’t take the time to review a hose but now I know at least one to stay away from!

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2092 posts in 3091 days

#2 posted 02-09-2016 08:51 PM

Thanks for the catch, Jarrett.

View htl's profile

htl

#3 posted 02-10-2016 12:05 AM

In the right place it could work very nicely.
Over a table saw that gets move once in a while.

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs here on Lumber Jocks.. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729