Incra Miter 5000 - A tale of delight

Review by WhittleMeThis posted 04-24-2009 05:09 PM 8400 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incra Miter 5000 - A tale of delight No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Having used a cross cut sled and a standard miter guage for years, I thought I would upgrade my ability to make angled cuts on my table saw. As many, I struggled with angle cuts on my compound miter saw, for mouldering and general carpentry my miter saw did a great job but when it came to very precise miter joints my compound miter saw fell short. The compound miter saw always required a lot of fine tuning and test cuts and often with less precision than I would have liked. I spent some time researching the available precision miter gauges and the Incra 5000 seemed to stand out from the crowd.

I ordered my Incra through Amazon.com (free shipping) and it arrived in 3 days. The Incra was well packed and the assembly process took about 1 hour. The fit and finish of the components were excellent and the instruction manual contained numerous photos, tips and was very clear and easy to follow.

Squaring the sled to the table was very quick and I was ready for my first test cut at 90 degrees. The cut was very clean and perfectly square. Next I adjusted the Incra to make a 45 degree cut, two quick cuts later in some scrap poplar and I had a perfectly mitered corner. Back to 90 degrees, and again a perfectly square cut. The repeatability of cuts with very little set up time is absolutely wonderful and exactly what I was looking for. Some features to note; the miter bar has several adjustments that allow for zero slop in the miter channel and great improvement over a standard miter guage which often has lots of slop (movement) in the miter channel, the miter gauge offers 364 positive angle stops in 1/2°, 1° or 5° increments over a full 180° range which are laser cut and very precisely cut and appear very durable, the stop block is very well thought out offering two stops, micro adjustment and an offset for a wooden sub fence, the miter fence telescopes from 36’ to a full 64’ length.

If you have read my reviews in the past, you would know I try my best to give a straight forward review of the good and bad of each tool reviewed, but I’ve struggled to find anything bad about the Incra 5000. It’s just a well thought out tool that gets the job done very well.

Deal Makers:

• Stop Block

Deal Breakers:

• ? Stumped

Update 5/1/09 Based on the comments provided:

When you compare an Incra miter to a standard miter you can’t go wrong on which Incra miter model you select, all the Incra models are a huge upgrade. When comparing the 5000 model to the 1000, 2000 and 3000 models part of the selection involves personal preference, work style, budget and other considerations. In my case, the selection of the 5000 over the other models was based on my personal preference to buy the best tool I can afford (buy it once) and my desire for the most precision possible.

The 5000 is based on the 3000se miter; the 3000se miter offers the most angle stops, a ½ degree between stops and the flip stop block. Obviously, the most precision and, probably over kill in most cases, follows my philosophy of buying it once. So now that I had settled on the 3000se the next question was sled or no sled? The 5000 sled in my opinion offers some distinct advantage over the 3000se miter. First is the ability to lock the work piece down (in multiple locations) for zero movement during the cut. The lock down feature is very helpful with wider boards. The second advantage was the telescoping fence which allows work pieces as long as or longer than 64” to rest against the fence while allowing measurement of longer pieces as well. And finally the price; the price between the 3000se and 5000 was fairly small.

One final thought if you own a smaller shop, the sled would allow you to get rid of a dedicated chop station and free up floor space as the sled can easily precisely cut 12” boards as long a 8’.

Compare Incra Miters

View WhittleMeThis's profile

WhittleMeThis

125 posts in 2025 days

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 04-24-2009 06:02 PM

Thanks for the review – I think you meant “squaring the SLED to the table was easy” and not the “saw” in the 3rd paragraph.

I’ll validate and second the precision and repeatability of the Incra Miter gauges.. I have their 1000SE and find it very valuable.

I would like however to know more about the added versatility and values of the 5000 sled as opposed to their other miter gauges ? what do you find better/easier/etc about this 5000 model, then the 3000 model? or the 1000 model?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View griph0n's profile

griph0n

68 posts in 1995 days

#2 posted 04-25-2009 01:15 AM

Fantastic Customer service too. My 1000SE started to shift a bit on the pin. I emailed and they replied with some questions/suggestions. I checked again with no luck. I finally wrapped the centre pin in teflon tape and the shifting stopped. After a quick email… the replacement parts are in the mail. Very happy customer

View PCorl's profile

PCorl

49 posts in 2032 days

#3 posted 04-25-2009 02:03 PM

I have this same miter gauge and agree with your review 100%. Nice review.

View Duckarrowtypes's profile

Duckarrowtypes

#4 posted 04-27-2009 03:33 AM

I just set up my Incra 1000SE today on the SawStop. I’ve never been more pleased with a new tool since I first put a battery in my Wixie gauge! Small wonders.

I too would like to know what you have to say about the sled. I debated getting the model 5000 because of the sled but ultimately opted for the cheaper and simpler 1000SE. Thoughts?

Jon

-- Custom Daguerreotypes from your images and more: www.shinyphotos.com

#5 posted 06-08-2010 03:30 PM

I have this sled, and as a matter of fact, I sold my radial arm saw and miter saw shortly after getting it. I have found that it does everything I need that those two tools were used for. The only drawback is that it doesn’t take voice commands and sharpen the saw blade while cutting…...

-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi

112081 posts in 2229 days

#6 posted 06-08-2010 04:48 PM

Thanks for the review

View Cajunrotor's profile

Cajunrotor

#7 posted 02-12-2012 01:32 PM

Just saw this review after seeing one offered on CL. Guess I’ll have to dig into the “cookie jar” again!

Oh, yeah- GREAT review!

-- Earl

View Iggles88's profile

Iggles88

#8 posted 03-30-2012 04:50 AM

Is the miter 5000 all one piece or is it a miter gauge and a sled? I want to buy it but I need to be able to use it as just a miter gauge without the sled like the miter express can do

View Pie's profile

Pie

187 posts in 2057 days

#9 posted 12-30-2013 04:48 PM

For some time now I have wanted to build a crosscut sled. I have managed to procrastinate (actually been busy renovating basement) long enough and let Santa (or Mrs. Santa) bring me one for Christmas. After researching online for some time about crosscut sleds, I came across a website about sliding rails etc.. on table saws that make cutting straight or angled cuts easy and accurate. I couldn’t afford something like that due to space and cost, so I read about INCRA’s miter sled that can be a crosscut sled and a miter sled.
Now the decision to spurge on the 5000 or piece together a system. Santa splurged and I am glad he did. This sled rocks, last might I had to cut a 10” x 8’ x 3/4” board so I put it on the 5000, locked it down and voila!. I give this product a 9.99999 only because the instructions are really good, they aren’t perfect. One caveat, is that my saw is a Left Tilt saw and the 5000 is delivered for a Right Tilt saw. Nooooo Proooblemmmoooo, just move the miter gauge to the left hand side of the sled. All holes are predrilled , so it was easy. The reason I did not give this a 10 is because the instructions are written for Right Tilt saws, so my brain had to say “left” when the instructions said “right”. Grrrr…

-- Pie